Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Heater Not Enabling via App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news on the fix? This has basically broken my car... I live in Vermont and even if I prime the climate my battery is stone cold. I waste hours at the charger. Last winter was no issue because the battery heater would kick on from the app... Tesla please fix this! My $94,000 car is almost useless!

Yes a recent update changed it. But they added scheduled departure which seems to time the charge to end half an hour before you leave and turns on climate control.

It is nice to have it auto warm the cabin and not to have to adjust charge start to time charge ending.

They also raised the minimum pack temp.to see a particular Regen rate.

I just tried it and it still works. Outside temperature is not battery temperature. Especially if you charged the car over night the battery is definitely warmer than the ambient temperature. Charging always warms up the battery. But even without charging, it takes quite some time for the battery to drop to ambient temperature when it's cold outside.
Here is a screen shot of the app and some CAN bus data.

The battery heater icon came on when I started the climate control from the app. It took one or two minutes for it to kick in, though. On the CAN bus you can see 'coolant heater' at 100% meaning it is heating at full capacity (around 6 kW). You can see the actual cell temperatures (min/average/max) and you can see the 'battery inlet' temperature. It shows the temperature of the coolant liquid just before it enters the battery.

The car was parked outside (not in a garage), ambient temps were -6 C at night. I only had to charge a little that night. Notice how the battery temperature is 10-12 C above ambient temperature.
View attachment 484201
It would be great if Tesla made a GUI version of car status app that can display all that info into be touch screen.

Just seen Battery-Heater in App!
Enable Heater in App AND start charging (in my case with 3x13A,230V = 9 kW). Battery-Symbol was visible in App, but only for 3 minutes. That is not long enough!

S85 (2015) Version 2019.40.2.3

I can confirm the latest update fixes this issue!!

2019.40.50.7 75D

Battery pre-heat is back on the menu!

Attachments

• 1793657C-9D70-4354-A1C1-DAC8E7B2E7B8.png
    1793657C-9D70-4354-A1C1-DAC8E7B2E7B8.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 213