Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Heating May Have Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
It has long been the common belief here on TMC that if one preheated the cabin, while on shore power, with range mode off, the battery pack would also be heated, provided the pack was cold. (if the pack had been charging, it may not have been cold.)

I think there is a chance that this behavior has recently changed. I am saying that because of some posts in another thread. Here is one of the relevant posts:

TeslaFi.com

Basically using TeslaFi, we can see when our battery heater is on. And it appears it may not be turning on when preheating the cabin.

Additionally, it seems that the battery heater may not come on 100% of the time the battery is cold and a drive is started with range mode off. The common belief here had always been that the battery heater DID come on in this situation, which was one of the reasons wh/mi numbers are quite high during short, cold drives.

It would be great if others with the ability to monitor the battery heater weighed in on this.

Thanks!

My battery is currently somewhat cold, exhibiting regen limited to 30 kW when I moved it between garage stalls a few minutes ago. What testing would you like?

Meanwhile, I'll go through some of my driving history via TeslaFi. I know I saw some entries with battery heater on, but I don't recall the details.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
My battery is currently somewhat cold, exhibiting regen limited to 30 kW when I moved it between garage stalls a few minutes ago. What testing would you like?

Meanwhile, I'll go through some of my driving history via TeslaFi. I know I saw some entries with battery heater on, but I don't recall the details.

With range mode off, and plugged in, if you started cabin heating now the old theory was that the battery heater would come on. So if you tried that, and then looked at the TeslaFi data to see whether or not the battery heater came on or not, that would be helpful.

If you wanted to take it a step further, you could go for a short drive, after preheating the cabin a bit, and see if the battery heater came on during the drive. Obviously I'm not going to ask you to go for a drive, though, just to test this. You could do the same test the next time the battery is cold, and you're going for a drive anyway.

Thanks for being willing to help!

The pack heater should come on, but only until it reaches the target of 8 C.

Thanks.

Is that true for the cabin pre-heating only, or for both cabin pre-heating and driving? Also, as far as you know, has this number--8 C, or 46.4 F--changed at all recently?

Finally, do you know at what battery temperature there would be no regen limit? Do you know if this has changed? (My gut feeling is that about a year ago, give or take, the regen limit started kicking in at higher temperatures than previously, meaning the battery needed to be even warmer to not have any regen limit at all.)

Thanks again!

Thanks.

Is that true for the cabin pre-heating only, or for both cabin pre-heating and driving? Also, as far as you know, has this number--8 C, or 46.4 F--changed at all recently?

Finally, do you know at what battery temperature there would be no regen limit? Do you know if this has changed? (My gut feeling is that about a year ago, give or take, the regen limit started kicking in at higher temperatures than previously, meaning the battery needed to be even warmer to not have any regen limit at all.)

Thanks again!

It is certainly possible that the newer firmware have changed the heating target. But AFAIK when the pack is online and providing any kind of energy the thermal limits are enforced by the thermal controller.

I'm in Canada, it's currently about -10DegC (14DegF) and my battery was stone cold. I haven't completed the TeslaFi Login, but cabin preheating does to a job of warming up the battery .. to a certain extent. In the colder than -20DegC (-4DegF) we have about 2 weeks back, the batter just got to warm (no dotted orange bars) after 30 minutes of cabin warming AND 35km of driving. I'm looking forward to 8.1 ..

That said, the rest of the heating and defrosting system has been brilliant this winter.

With range mode off, and plugged in, if you started cabin heating now the old theory was that the battery heater would come on. So if you tried that, and then looked at the TeslaFi data to see whether or not the battery heater came on or not, that would be helpful.

I've taken a look at other fields as well from this morning when I did a preheat which is of interest:
battery_current, charger_current and charger_voltage.
Before starting preheating battery current was at -0.3A (a load of 100W+ or so since I use the always connected setting in my car).

When I started heating battery_heater_on remained false, but I can see current flowing from both the wall and the battery.
Iit did at one point pull 14.7 amps from the battery and 12A (at 229V) from the wall. If we assume a conservative (?) pack voltage of 390V (SOC at 80%) that gives us a power consumtion in the car at: 14.7A x 390V + 12A x 229V = 5733W + 2748W = 8481W total power

Shouldn't this mean that both battery and cabin heating is active? I have read elsewhere on this forum that the car has 6kW cabin heater and 5.5kW battery heater, and since total consumed power is more than the cabin heater is able to consume alone I assume the power is distributed between pack and cabin heating?

How much total power do your cars consume when preheating in cold temperatures?

Reactions: Electric700
It has long been the common belief here on TMC that if one preheated the cabin, while on shore power, with range mode off, the battery pack would also be heated, provided the pack was cold. (if the pack had been charging, it may not have been cold.)

Andy, I have read in multiple threads that the battery heater comes on when plugged into shore power, range mode is off, and you start the climate control using the Tesla phone app. If you are not using the phone app, you might want to try that.