Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Heating May Have Changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5.5kW, it's stamped on the part.

The sticker says 450VDC / 5556W / 12.3A (car is 403.2V at most fully charged, depends on battery config, 60/70/75/85/90/100 kWh).

I do have root on my car and about once in a while I start manually only the battery heater by preconditioning the pack only and monitoring the current drawn from the wall, always about 4.5kW.

I normally charge at 90% which gives me a pack voltage of 392.09V.

Some maths, 5556W / 12.3A means an internal resistance of 36.72 ohms. So at 90% SOC on my car I get VAPI_batteryVoltage=392.090V so if purely resistive and just ON or OFF, I would draw 4186W. Meaning about 300W left for the two powertrain pumps running at 100%, I don't have the spec of those pumps but that makes sense.

I can redo the test at a lower SOC% hence lower battery voltage to compare.

batt heater.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Those targets are valid for normal >50% SOC. Its get progressively more aggressive (targets raises) as SOC go down. That's why, even in range mode in cold temperature, at low SOC (like less than 10%) the pack heater turns on with a target around 15C or more.

I do not understand this behaviour.
May you elaborate why this is happening?

I thought that the car tries to conserve energy when the SOC goes down and not up!
If the pack target temp goes up and the car heats the pack more, you would be stranded earlier than later of the car is just sitting around for some time in cold weather. (f.e. at an airport with no charger for 3 weeks)