Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Pre-conditioning question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can preheating the battery by cold weather by warming-up your interior before starting a trip. As you can see on the picture (the red icon on the right, shows that the battery preheating has been started (outside temperature was below 0° celsius).

View attachment 580014

I’m getting the impression that turning on climate before departure warms the cabin but also indirectly warms the battery because it draws current from the charging source to run the heating - not because it’s blowing hot air on the battery !! Two birds, one stone.

I’m getting the impression that turning on climate before departure warms the cabin but also indirectly warms the battery because it draws current from the charging source to run the heating - not because it’s blowing hot air on the battery !! Two birds, one stone.
Sort of.

The front and rear Stator motors are generating heat, approximately 3.5 kW/each. The coolant picks up the heat via conduction and the coolant is pumped through the battery pack. The Stator motors can get up to ~ 200F max, about 190F in 10 minutes.

If you're not plugged in, the car will need about 7.75 kW to heat up the Stator motors, run the heat, and a few other items that draw energy. If you're plugged in with a HPWC, the 11 kW will be sufficient to power the system. If you have a 40A power source, the 9.6 kW will be sufficient. If you have a 32A source, the 7.6 kW might be able to power it but it may draw from the battery. Anything less than 32A will draw from the battery.

Sometimes in navigation mode on a trip, I get the message, other times I do not. Is this normal?
It depends on how far you are from the Supercharger. The Tesla vehicle will start warming the battery for optimal supercharging when you are ~20 to 30 minutes from the Supercharger. This takes into account the speed limit along the route and the current temperature of the battery pack.

It depends on how far you are from the Supercharger. The Tesla vehicle will start warming the battery for optimal supercharging when you are ~20 to 30 minutes from the Supercharger. This takes into account the speed limit along the route and the current temperature of the battery pack.
Update 2021.4.11 made changes and can start preconditioning much sooner than what it did previously. It all depends on the ambient and battery pack temp. I've had it start preconditioning 50 minutes from the supercharger in sub 40F temps. It'll shut off the Stator motors as needed and will start the process again as you get closer to the destination. It takes longer to warm up than to maintain/cool the batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: pkeller and jcanoe
Also, I think I read that when your SoC is sufficiently low (I forget the treshhold, but 20% seems to be the cut off for a lot of features such as Sentry, Dog Mode, Camp Mode, Cabin Overheat, etc) that it will not precondition even if you're navigating to a Supercharger?
It will if there's enough energy to pre-condition and get to the destination. In the image below, I parked into the Supercharger spot and took a screenshot. It shows battery at 10%, front and rear Stator motors pulling 3.0 kW each.

This was pre-2021.4.11. Post 2021.4.11, the battery pack temp would be 100-109F. In this image, they're only 68F.

20210628_121127.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung