Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range w Lower SOC Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 3 month old Model Y and I am concerned about the range at 100% as reported by Teslafi being way below EPA rating of 316. On my last charge shows estimated range at 301. Of course no way battery should have degraded this much in 3 months and 2k miles. I think my problem might be related to my charging habits based on a quote from the Tesla's head of Sales and Service: "We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge- between 60-80% -capacity estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery. The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate." This was related to a Model S and a quote from way back in 2014 and he says Tesla was working on a solution...but its now 2020 and I am having this exact problem. I have been frequently charging to 60-80% given my daily drives are short. I have read that deeper cycles will help restore the range calcs but so far, in a couple weeks of that, it hasn't helped....its actually gone down further. Other posts say the deeper cycle "reset" takes weeks or even months....I'll continue that for a bit longer but wondering if anyone else has had experience like mine and what have they found. Perhaps to ease my mind, I am thinking of requesting Tesla run a comprehensive battery check...is that something that can confirm my battery has no cell issues and my situation is BMS related only? That alone will ease my mind and if the battery check confirms no cells issues, perhaps I'll just forget about this and move on...thoughts?

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

Tesla Official Statement on Range

How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

All three of those at the top of the Model 3 "Battery & Charging section". They've been discussed there extensively. The Model Y is just very recently out based on the same architecture and battery, so no need to create duplicate discussion.

Your question gets asked again about every other day here (and has been for about 8 years), and it's covered in those threads above.

Quick summary: measuring the amount of energy in a battery is a very nebulous thing, and isn't like measuring milk or flour in a measuring cup, where you can just look at the markings on the side and see exactly where it is. The battery management system is trying to keep track of about a dozen factors to keep a running guesstimate of how much energy in there. So the number on the screen can drift downward by 5 or 10 of those "rated miles" units over the course of a few months, and people freak out, but most of that isn't even real energy lost, but is just the estimate losing visibility/accuracy. I literally saw someone create a thread about 1 single rated mile less than it originally had, and they were saying they were going to set up a service appointment with Tesla because they were afraid their battery was dying.

There are a couple of things that can be done to help "true up" that number on the display by letting the battery management system get visibility to the high and low ends, so it can see the capacity more accurately again, but that's just temporary and is just to give you a warm fuzzy feeling--doesn't do anything helpful for the battery.

Really, lithium ion batteries begin to age as soon as they are made. They really will lose some noticeable bit of capacity in the first year, and you will see a few rated miles permanently gone from the full amount. That's just how it is, but it stabilizes and stays mostly steady for the next several years.