Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery replacement cost for insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually a valid question. What does it take to damage the battery in a crash? If you look at the frontal impact video of the NHTSA test there's a clip that shows the collision from the underside. At the 80km/h collision with an immovable wall the batter doesn't wobble or move at all. The collision energy is dissipated everywhere else, but not to the battery that weighs a shitload and is extremely rigid. So has ANYONE had battery damage in any known collision. Most importantly head-on or sidepole impacts where the car was fixed afterwards or totaled because of battery cost (as it is ~60% of the car price).

Have to ask... Why did you get a quote? Do you have a damaged battery or something?

The degradation I have makes it so that it's actually affecting my trips and stuff. I could get to Tampa before without having to worry about stopping, and now I have to stop. I've seen plenty of other people who have as many miles as I do (21k) who still have the same range they had when they got the car new, but for some reason mine has degraded 23 miles. Since Tesla doesn't cover it, I figured I needed a new battery. But with that price it will be cheaper for me to sell the car and get a used one with the same options and the same miles on it.