Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Tesla Model S P85 Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the dreaded BMS_u029 message and also GTW_u019. Tesla has quoted $14,600 plus taxes ($16k OTD) for reman battery replacement with 4 yrs/50k miles warranty. EV'sRepublic quoted $4k less than Tesla but with 2 yrs/20k miles warranty. I also have a similar quote from Recell TX, but since I'm in bay area, I prefer to get this done locally at least for the sake of dealing with any issues during the warranty period.

I want to save that $4k and go with EV's Republic, but the warranty is 50% of what Tesla offers. Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

I got the dreaded BMS_u029 message and also GTW_u019. Tesla has quoted $14,600 plus taxes ($16k OTD) for reman battery replacement with 4 yrs/50k miles warranty. EV'sRepublic quoted $4k less than Tesla but with 2 yrs/20k miles warranty. I also have a similar quote from Recell TX, but since I'm in bay area, I prefer to get this done locally at least for the sake of dealing with any issues during the warranty period.

I want to save that $4k and go with EV's Republic, but the warranty is 50% of what Tesla offers. Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

Go cheap route if you are going to sell the car in the next 2 years. Otherwise, go big!
id agree with derbydave
if you plan to keep the car, do what i did and take your car into berkeley. they will give you a brand new battery option 90kw or 100kw.
remanufactured batteries are a gamble, and imo they suck, however there was a user on this forum saying his remanufactured battery died within the warranty and tesla gave him a brand new 90kw battery. to my knowledge the 90 is the 1014116-00-c, no idea what the 100kw would be, but the last time i talked to the rep at berkeley he told me they started offering the 100kw option for older cars, according to some places a suspension upgrade may be required though, not sure what tesla makes you go through because he told me he hasnt seen anyone do it yet.

You're 029 alert solution will likely depend on what you want to do with your car and your personal finances. My advice, and I'm just one person, is based on personally talking with hundreds of folks and my own experience. I don't profess to be the expert. So, unless you're mechanically inclined and comfortable around higher voltage - (1) If you love the car and want to keep it less than 3 years, either get a remanufactured pack replacement or fix of your current pack for $7k-$15k, (2) if you like your car and want to keep it for more than 3 years then get new pack from Tesla for $20k, (3) If you're done with Tesla and just want to walk away, sell your car for $7k-10k with known 029/018 alert. If you are mechanically inclined, then you can swap packs or attempt to repair your existing pack.

You're 029 alert solution will likely depend on what you want to do with your car and your personal finances. My advice, and I'm just one person, is based on personally talking with hundreds of folks and my own experience. I don't profess to be the expert. So, unless you're mechanically inclined and comfortable around higher voltage - (1) If you love the car and want to keep it less than 3 years, either get a remanufactured pack replacement or fix of your current pack for $7k-$15k, (2) if you like your car and want to keep it for more than 3 years then get new pack from Tesla for $20k, (3) If you're done with Tesla and just want to walk away, sell your car for $7k-10k with known 029/018 alert. If you are mechanically inclined, then you can swap packs or attempt to repair your existing pack.
Thank you. Appreciate the suggestions. I certainly can't afford a new battery at this time (spent close to $10 just last year for RDU replacement and MCU upgrades). I can't sell it either as I owe more than what the car is worth (with errors) to the bank. Of course I love the car and the driving experience and have free supercharging for life, so I would at least try to recover / save as much as I can and would keep the car as long as I can.

Though the difference between a new and reman. is approx $5k, Tesla's warranty is the same for both options (4 yrs/50k miles), so I wouldn't spend that extra 5 grand for new battery.

The only option is to go for a reman. I know Recell is doing a great job. EV's Republic is a local option, but still 2-3 hours away from where I live (south bay). I don't want to deal with a hassle of driving that far (or sending the car to Texas with a $2k spend for transportation) for warranty repairs to both those shops. That leaves Tesla Sc as the only option. Going to the other two shops will only give me a saving of <$2k (if I add 4 years / 50k warranty cost to their quotes for a fair comparison with Tesla), so I'm leaning towards getting the job done with Tesla. I will certainly keep the car for the duration of the warranty.

Thank you. Appreciate the suggestions. I certainly can't afford a new battery at this time (spent close to $10 just last year for RDU replacement and MCU upgrades). I can't sell it either as I owe more than what the car is worth (with errors) to the bank. Of course I love the car and the driving experience and have free supercharging for life, so I would at least try to recover / save as much as I can and would keep the car as long as I can.

Though the difference between a new and reman. is approx $5k, Tesla's warranty is the same for both options (4 yrs/50k miles), so I wouldn't spend that extra 5 grand for new battery.

The only option is to go for a reman. I know Recell is doing a great job. EV's Republic is a local option, but still 2-3 hours away from where I live (south bay). I don't want to deal with a hassle of driving that far (or sending the car to Texas with a $2k spend for transportation) for warranty repairs to both those shops. That leaves Tesla Sc as the only option. Going to the other two shops will only give me a saving of <$2k (if I add 4 years / 50k warranty cost to their quotes for a fair comparison with Tesla), so I'm leaning towards getting the job done with Tesla. I will certainly keep the car for the duration of the warranty.
Tough choice. I decided on a new (not reman) pack from Tesla. Either a new or reman from Telsa is a good option. Looks like Tesla has raised the
BASE prices recently - $13.5k to $14.5 k on reman and $17k to $18k or $21k on new. Why the latter is different I don't know. Just know folks have gotten both quotes for the same type car.

I've communicated with both EV's Republic (EVR) customers and employees recently. Owners have benefited from free one way transpo to EVR and a 3 year warranty at no extra cost.

Last edited:
The most affordable way is to get a used pack on eBay/salvage yard then sell ur old modules.
One guy on FB 029 group did that n actually came out on top.
This does require a bit of DIY work or finding a shop willing to swap it for u
I wish I could do this, but I neither have the time or the resources to coordinate this project. Also buying it off ebay, not knowing the condition of the battery is a high risk option. Thanks.

I was wrong on warranty from EV's Republic. Disregard my comment on my previous post. My apologies.

Tough choice. I decided on a new (not reman) pack from Tesla. Either a new or reman from Telsa is a good option. Looks like Tesla has raised the
BASE prices recently - $13.5k to $14.5 k on reman and $17k to $18k or $21k on new. Why the latter is different I don't know. Just know folks have gotten both quotes for the same type car.

I've communicated with both EV's Republic (EVR) customers and employees recently. Owners have benefited from free one way transpo to EVR and a 3 year warranty at no extra cost.
I went back and forth with EVR several times over the past week. The best they could offer is 2years / 20k miles warranty at $10500 (plus labor & taxes) for the 85kw reman. If they offer 3 yrs / 30k warranty for the same price, I will go with them, but they seem to be pretty set on this and said they've already discounted the price by $1000 (from $11500) for the battery. 2 years is too short time to warrant a $12k spend and I need 3 to 4 years. I'm talking to tesla hopelessly to see if they could give any amount of discount at all and the service advisor who has been working at Tesla SC since 2016 said 'those times are gone few years ago, when they had the authority to offer discounts for loyal customers'. He said it has to go all the way up to the regional manager who would anyway turn down and price reduction requests, but said he would give it a shot, with no promises.

Reactions: NV Ray