Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing that it would physically fit and connect. There is a whole long thread about what rear motors have been put in the cars so I'm not sure if it would get a performance boost.

I think I saw an insurance estimate in a thread or video claiming the battery at a $15,000 replacement cost. I believe at one time Musk claimed that the battery modules inside the pack could be replaced as low as $7k (one day in the future).

Physically, they’re the same size. All the brains are in the penthouse which is attached to the pack (it’s directly under the rear seats). Have to go same for same as far as drivetrain...can’t take a LR AWD pack and put in car with LR RWD...additional wires and harnesses flapping free...and there is a vehicle firmware/software issue to overcome. Tesla currently not offering this upgrade as a purchase.

Physically, they’re the same size. All the brains are in the penthouse which is attached to the pack (it’s directly under the rear seats). Have to go same for same as far as drivetrain...can’t take a LR AWD pack and put in car with LR RWD...additional wires and harnesses flapping free...and there is a vehicle firmware/software issue to overcome. Tesla currently not offering this upgrade as a purchase.

Currently packs don't need to be replaced, except for damage or warranty issues. 7 years down the road with cars at 200k to 300k? Maybe Tesla will offer it then. If the car hold up well I might consider upgrading the pack for a 70kWh (or larger depending on energy density) for $15k vs buying a new car for $40k...

is yours one of the states were you can ask for the damaged part back? I don't recall the specifics but I remember some people asking upfront, told no, then at pick up asking for the part and presenting some law or something that allows the consumer to have the part back.

So... a new battery pack is currently $13,500, then i have additional parts for a total of $14,000 plus $1000 for labor. Insurance is covering this rock accident. I'm not interested in salvaging the battery pack for resale. I guess that 5-7k twitter qoute from Elon in April of 2019 to replace the battery modules was a projection of future battery replacement costs after the warranty expires in years from now?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191112-181701_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20191112-181701_Twitter.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: KJD
So... a new battery pack is currently $13,500, then i have additional parts for a total of $14,000 plus $1000 for labor. Insurance is covering this rock accident. I'm not interested in salvaging the battery pack for resale. I guess that 5-7k twitter qoute from Elon in April of 2019 to replace the battery modules was a projection of future battery replacement costs after the warranty expires in years from now?

IIRC, there are 4 modules in 1 pack. So for a pack, the future estimate is $20k to $28k (this is probably SR+ vs. LR).

The reason it's not that price for you right now is because they're taking the damaged pack back. It can presumably be salvaged for other uses and thus has a fair amount of value even in its current state. A long-term replacement like mentioned in the tweet would be of far less value.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H