Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery size strategy: go bigger, or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind they are charging $69k for the 105kwh battery. To get 400 mile range, you'd need to buy the 180 kwh batt and I haven't seen a price on that.

I bet you will need the 180 kwh to make the truck useful for hauling anything due to increased power usage.

Rivian isn't aiming for cheap. I expect everything they make to be more expensive than Tesla. But I also expect the press to forget the price difference and talk about anything that Rivian does better.

Rivian isn't aiming for cheap. I expect everything they make to be more expensive than Tesla. But I also expect the press to forget the price difference and talk about anything that Rivian does better.

69k isn't exactly expensive when talking about upscale truck money. Just look at the 2019 Cadillac Escalade, and it doesn't even have expensive batteries.

• Funny
Reactions: dhanson865
69k isn't exactly expensive when talking about upscale truck money. Just look at the 2019 Cadillac Escalade, and it doesn't even have expensive batteries.

Pay attention to the guy up thread that said

Keep in mind they are charging $69k for the 105kwh battery. To get 400 mile range, you'd need to buy the 180 kwh batt and I haven't seen a price on that.

and think about how expensive that will be. I wasn't talking about $69k, I was talking about the 400 mile range price.

edit: and they will have 3 pack sizes? 105kWh being the base variant and

Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch, with the base variant to follow within 12 months of the start of production.

Last edited:
I wrote both of those comments
9550728.jpg

why are you telling me to read my own comment? lol

Because for some reason you ignored your own point about the more expensive pack and told me a lower priced pack wasn't that expensive when I was only talking bout the more expensive pack.

post #21 is me talking bout the 400 mile pack

post #22 is you somehow missing the second half of post #19 you wrote and post #21 I wrote both being about a more expensive version of the Rivian and you went off on a tangent about how other luxury vehicles are more expensive than the cheapest Rivian which is going to start at $69k.

So I had to point out to you yet again in post #23 and #27 that post #21 isn't about the cheaper version, it's about the most expensive Rivian and how that will spur Tesla to put out a longer range option.

Now you can read all those posts again, hopefully catch up with the conversation or you can just ignore me. But if you reply and go off on a tangent while quoting me I'm going to call you on it. ;)

Last edited:
ROFL. I'm not responsible for your lack of reading comprehension. It seems like you're the one who didn't do enough research that you bought TWO leafs. Enjoy your massive capacity losses.

considering I got them used for less than 10K a piece I can live with the ~6% range loss per year. Especially after getting a new pack free from Nissan in 2017. And then the fact that I get to charge free at work and only pay 10 cents per kWh at home was nice also. So no I don't regret getting the Leafs. Way cheaper than keeping my gas cars.

But back on topic how does your posting about cheap cars negate that Rivian wants to make a 400 mile EV? Try not to answer by talking about EVs that don't have over 300 miles range.

Basically only Tesla and Rivian are on topic for this thread. And no $69K Rivian will have 400 miles range.

Last edited:
When I have two long mountain bikes hanging off the back of my car and I have to go 300-400 miles getting 400wh/mi, I wish I had a bigger battery. The same will apply when people start pulling boats and trailers with EVs. The model 3 is a marvelous car and I think 300 miles is plenty for a passenger vehicle but that 300 miles needs to continue along with rated tow capacity. 300 mile range translates to 160-180 when I throw bikes on that back. 160-180 isn't nearly as practical, especially when you consider the trails are 80 miles away in the mountains. A Rivian, which is supposed to be able to tow a boat, needs that 400 miles rated range to go 200 miles, maybe. The more capable the car is, the bigger the battery and the more ridiculous the "rated range" will need to be.

Last edited:
You can add to your list the Model 3's completely different battery configuration and possibly different chemistry. If Tesla re-designs the Model S/X battery pack to switch from the 18650 cells to the Model 3's 2170 cells, *THAT* is the short-term improvement will push the Model S/X's range towards 400 miles. But Tesla may not do this right away because there appears to be a supply limitation on 2170 cells.

Everyone, read this article now:
Breaking — Tesla Model S & X Refresh Production Test Run Is About To Start | CleanTechnica

Well, looks like my earlier guess wasn't entirely correct. Tesla appears to have announced a switch to the new reluctance motor technology on the Model S/X, along with some other (less significant?) drivetrain improvements, to add around 10% more range using the existing battery pack architecture, with no other changes. That says to me that the full Model S/X refresh will be farther out in the future.

Tesla Squeezes 370 Miles of Range Out of its Big-Battery Model S