Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Swapping Event - Live Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way you'll get the exact same pack when you return. Maybe one with similar characteristics, but the cost is astronomical to store unusable packs at the station while the rented packs are out in the wild. If 20 people headed off for the weekend, for example, you'd need at least 20 rentable packs at the station.

Seems like they might have sold a lot of 40's if this had been available. Swap out the 40 for an 85 for your coast-to-coast round trip.

But, it wouldn't be possible to use superchargers even with that borrowed 85, right? The car has to be SC-enabled for that, I'd think.

Haven't seen the video yet, but, more power to Tesla! As pack capacities increase over the next few years, I'd not mind using borrowed mega packs for road trips.

This doesn't seem like it's intended to be an alternative to super charging for people who want to do long road trips. It feels like an alternative for people who want to, or can only afford to buy the 60KWH pack, but need the additional range for road trips. Any update on the cost? Is it $99 or $99 per week?

Last edited:
I wonder if the pack left behind will be assimilated into the grid storage system while you're away? If so, it's taking on some wear as well.

Absolutely not (IMO). It's MY battery. I rented a TM "rental" battery to save cycles on MY battery for a long trip. I just want MY battery stored. Not cycled. Also, I don't want it fully charged until right before I get to the station to get it back.

"Those that opt to keep the new battery pack must pay the difference in cost — which is worked out based on the difference in age between the new and original batteries."

Did Elon say anything else about how the difference is calculated? Does a person at the swap center run a diagnostic on the battery?

According to this article, it appears that you pay the swap fee two times. Once when you get the rental, then again when you pickup your original battery, which they recharge for you while you were gone.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/...-2013-avoid-lengthy-recharge-pitstops-for-60/

Am I missing something, but is the price of a swap good for the entire journey, i.e., multiple swaps for every stop at a swapping station, or just a one-time swap? If the former, how does this possibly make sense? A 60 owner would be paying multiple times to swap on a journey of 450 miles. And if it's only good for one time, how many people would seriously go through this effort and pay in lieu of a free (and relatively fast and painless) SC stop?? Seriously, I think I'm missing something.