Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Temperature Low Message at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my 2023 MY one month. Until yesterday, I've only charged at home. I got a message on my display "Charging rate limited by low battery temperature. Vehicle is improving battery temperature to increase charge rate. " I was surprised to get the message since I had navigated to a SuperCharger from 50 miles away. Ambient temperature was around 60 deg. F so this was not cold weather driving. I thought if you selected a SuperCharger in navigation, it would automatically condition the battery in time to charge. Any thoughts?

I've only had my 2023 MY one month. Until yesterday, I've only charged at home. I got a message on my display "Charging rate limited by low battery temperature. Vehicle is improving battery temperature to increase charge rate. " I was surprised to get the message since I had navigated to a SuperCharger from 50 miles away. Ambient temperature was around 60 deg. F so this was not cold weather driving. I thought if you selected a SuperCharger in navigation, it would automatically condition the battery in time to charge. Any thoughts?

I had a similar experience in mild weather after navigating to a Supercharger with a lot of time spent pre-conditioning. That message seems to be a new one.

Upvote 0
It should trigger Preconditioning for Supercharging via stator heating. When stator heating is active there is a noticeable hum and vibration that is different from the normal heat pump sounds and other Tesla Model Y driving.

You have to enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Navigation and then start driving the route. Preconditioning for Supercharging is only active while driving, not while parked.

Upvote 0
What I discovered on my recent round trip from NJ to Florida is you must use the voice command "navigate to Tesla Supercharger and then select it on on screen. The vehicle will then automatically display a message on the screen as you are getting closer that the battery is being conditioned (warmed) for charging. I had to do this even when I was using the cheaper 350 kWh FPL Superchargers on the Florida Turnpike

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
The message is newer, but I think it is more informative. Many people new to charging would think there is something wrong with supercharger with reduced rate.

Car is more saying. Hey battery still needs to get a bit warmer so don't go switching stalls. It's not us. It's you right now.

Same way regen notifies with a triangle when reduced and a little note. A little more info than the dots.

Edit add: I have seen the orange waves next to battery while supercharging in app while climate was off.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
What I discovered on my recent round trip from NJ to Florida is you must use the voice command "navigate to Tesla Supercharger and then select it on on screen. The vehicle will then automatically display a message on the screen as you are getting closer that the battery is being conditioned (warmed) for charging. I had to do this even when I was using the cheaper 350 kWh FPL Superchargers on the Florida Turnpike
It doesn't have to use voice command. Just using the TS alone will also cause preconditioning. Especially when you have a few SuperChargers to choose from and you pick one on the TS. It will still precondition if its needed.

Upvote 0
It should trigger Preconditioning for Supercharging via stator heating. When stator heating is active there is a noticeable hum and vibration that is different from the normal heat pump sounds and other Tesla Model Y driving.

You have to enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Navigation and then start driving the route. Preconditioning for Supercharging is only active while driving, not while parked.

In my case, I was navigating to a Supercharger about 150 miles away. The car did lots of (very noticeable) pre-conditioning along the way. Yet I still got, "Charging rate limited by low battery temperature. Vehicle is improving battery temperature to increase charge rate."

This was just a few weeks ago at a brand new Supercharger station. The car was already charging when the message popped up.

Upvote 0
Screenshot_20230117-225009.png

Ahh here you go. Got stuck in a two hour traffic jam outside of Flagstaff. Preconditioned on and off after I got out of the traffic jam. This is while at supercharger.

See those words battery heating.....some optimism as well on the optimal.

Side note. Bundle up charge a bit more and don't use an ice. These folks had to walk over a mile to get gas as it ran out in middle of the jam. I lost one percent. Put my hat on and watched some TV.
Screenshot_20230117-204807.png

Reactions: house9 and BitJam
Upvote 0
View attachment 896936
Ahh here you go. Got stuck in a two hour traffic jam outside of Flagstaff. Preconditioned on and off after I got out of the traffic jam. This is while at supercharger.

See those words battery heating.....some optimism as well on the optimal.

Side note. Bundle up charge a bit more and don't use an ice. These folks had to walk over a mile to get gas as it ran out in middle of the jam. I lost one percent. Put my hat on and watched some TV.
View attachment 896941
Do you normally charge to 100% at a SuperCharger? 90% to 100% could be half hour or more of charge time just for that last 10%.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 0
Do you normally charge to 100% at a SuperCharger? 90% to 100% could be half hour or more of charge time just for that last 10%.
When I drive 1000 miles in a day I don't mess with the bar. Both types.

Have you have ever sat in a car in a snow storm where cars don't move for hours and hours? So just charging what the car says would have left me with more just about 45 minutes of oh crap heat as others run out of fuel.

I commend your observation skills. I got it covered, as sometimes it is about getting to destination rather than the efficiency of such an endeavor.

Reactions: GSP and BitJam
Upvote 0

I think I did that. I think I said navigate to closest supercharger. The display gave me a list of several Tesla Superchargers at various distances and I chose the one that was closest (50 miles away).

Upvote 0
While I've never seen the "Charging rate limited by low battery temperature." warning, my car starts Preconditioning WAY before my estimated arrival, sometimes 35 minutes prior to estimated arrival.

I've observed this at ambient 45-65f, during recent road trips, driving interstate at 75-80mph.

Upvote 0
Mine (22 myp)is doing this exact thing as I type... It preconditioned wjen i started charging it went to 250 kW then slowly trickled down not after being here less than 10 mins it is now at 105Kw (46% bat) I arrived at 21% this the 2nd location I've come to same behavior. I don't remember my 21 m3lr doing this.

Update: now at 49% 83kW I got here at 3:02p it's 3:18p now

Upvote 0
My experience on a recent round trip from NJ to Florida is in order to have the battery ready and preconditioned, you need to choose the location and navigate to it. The screen will then display a message that preconditioning of the battery is beginning when you are still like 20 minutes away. If you fail to do that not only will it take longer to charge but the display will inform you that the battery is not up to optimum temperature when you begin charging.

Upvote 0
Mine (22 myp)is doing this exact thing as I type... It preconditioned wjen i started charging it went to 250 kW then slowly trickled down not after being here less than 10 mins it is now at 105Kw (46% bat) I arrived at 21% this the 2nd location I've come to same behavior. I don't remember my 21 m3lr doing this.

Update: now at 49% 83kW I got here at 3:02p it's 3:18p now
Update: still at 49% now 60kW 3:25p

Upvote 0
What location are you at? Some are 150kW while others are 250kW. If all the stalls are full and occupied your charge rate will be reduced. This happened to me at the Newark, De. rest area when every slot was occupied. charging was very slow
Yes, I've had this happen at 250kW charger when there maybe 6 cars in an 8 slot charging installation. This was in Marianna, Florida. I watched my charge rate increase after a couple of cars left.

Another time at the same location, all 8 stalls were in use and it was agonizingly slow.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've had this happen at 250kW charger when there maybe 6 cars in an 8 slot charging installation. This was in Marianna, Florida. I watched my charge rate increase after a couple of cars left.

Another time at the same location, all 8 stalls were in use and it was agonizingly slow.
While in Florida recently, I discovered that the FPL Evolution Chargers are 350kW and charge must faster and are cheaper than Tesla. They do require the CC1 adapter.

Attachments

• Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    Tesla FPL 350 kwh Chargers IMG_9440.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 318
Upvote 0
What location are you at? Some are 150kW while others are 250kW. If all the stalls are full and occupied your charge rate will be reduced. This happened to me at the Newark, De. rest area when every slot was occupied. charging was very slow

I was at the supercharger in Salisbury MD. (Salisbury, MD - North Salisbury Boulevard | Tesla) I was the only one charging. Weird thing is it jumped to 72% "charging complete" @ 3:29 pm after staying on 49% for a while

Arrived: 3:02p @ 21% charging went up to 250kW then started going down

After 10 mins down to 105Kw (46% bat)

3:18p 49% @ 83kW

3:25p 49% @ 60kW

3:29p 72% charging compete (wtf??)

Upvote 0