Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Temperature Low while supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this time of year perhaps 10 min or so. Or extended interstate drive.

btw, what did you expect? Do you know the charge rate is dependant on your state of charge?

1691194852738.jpeg

btw, what did you expect? Do you know the charge rate is dependant on your state of charge?

View attachment 962337

View attachment 962337
Is that kW on the left and battery percentage on the bottom?

yes. If you average your starting SoC with your target the result will be your expected charge average.

As you can see, the things repeated over and over hold true:

1) Arrive with as low SoC as you're comfortable with.
2) Charge no more than you need to get to the next charge point (or destination) plus whatever reserve you require.
3) Preheat the battery before supercharging (via navigation).
4) Try not to share another pedestal in a V2 or older SC station.

I can't? This picture was taken in summer of 2000. I did not precondition at all:

View attachment 963213

Well, congrats. Or, maybe, condolences.

Simply driving, even in the summer, will not typically raise pack temps to the level needed to support maximum throughput at a DC Fast Charger. Which is a good thing, because the very high pack temps that pre-conditioning and DC Fast Charging bring to the table are not what you want for long-term battery health.

I'd venture that something else was going on, like the vehicle failing to display the "preconditioning" message, even though it in fact was.

Simply driving, even in the summer, will not typically raise pack temps to the level needed to support maximum throughput at a DC Fast Charger. Which is a good thing, because the very high pack temps that pre-conditioning and DC Fast Charging bring to the table are not what you want for long-term battery health.

I'd venture that something else was going on, like the vehicle failing to display the "preconditioning" message, even though it in fact was.

I think you are overestimating the required pack temperature for 250kW charging... What pack temp do you think is required to support 250kW charging and what is your reference for that value?

There was no system fault and I did not use the navigation to get to the SC. I simply drove for a couple hours on a hot summer day and then arrived at the V3 SC with 42 km or 8% left.
I trust that the BMS knows what it's doing. Maybe the prerogative that preconditioning is always necessary is not quite as accurate as you seem to think it is.

@MP3Mike: see my signature. It was my 2020 M3 LR AWD.

This is the first time I hear that 250 kW stalls are paired. I was under the impression that V3 SCs operate individually, therefore they can output 250 kW regardless of adjacent cars/SCs. Am I missing something?
V3/250kW stalls do share power. There are 4 stalls hooked to each cabinet. The cabinet can output a total of ~360kW. But there can be an interlink between up to 7 cabinets to share power. So, figure a 12 stall V3 site normally has about ~1080kW to share across the 12 stalls. (If every stall was full with an empty/preconditioned car they would all be limited to ~90kW.)

V3/250kW stalls do share power. There are 4 stalls hooked to each cabinet. The cabinet can output a total of ~360kW. But there can be an interlink between up to 7 cabinets to share power. So, figure a 12 stall V3 site normally has about ~1080kW to share across the 12 stalls. (If every stall was full with an empty/preconditioned car they would all be limited to ~90kW.)
I thought the cabinet was a 1MW cabinet. Not going to say there isn't still a sharing possibility dependent on the number of stalls on a cabinet though. :)

I thought the cabinet was a 1MW cabinet. Not going to say there isn't still a sharing possibility dependent on the number of stalls on a cabinet though. :)

It is in no way a 1 megawatt cabinet. V3 cabinets take up to 387 kVA (roughly equivalent to kW) from the grid, and can share up to 575 kVA from adjacent cabinets. V3 sites are typically limited by the utility transformer, which for example, is 1000 kVA (1 megawatt) for a 12-stall site.

It is in no way a 1 megawatt cabinet. V3 cabinets take up to 387 kVA (roughly equivalent to kW) from the grid, and can share up to 575 kVA from adjacent cabinets. V3 sites are typically limited by the utility transformer, which for example, is 1000 kVA (1 megawatt) for a 12-stall site.

Maybe I am mixing up designed capability vs what it actually is wired for. I thought they were designed with the capability of supplying 1MW if appropriately supplied.

I thought the cabinet was a 1MW cabinet.

It is in no way a 1 megawatt cabinet.
Well, it is sort of a 1MW cabinet. ~360kW + 575kW = ~935kW. So, it can dispense almost a Megawatt, but it needs the support of two other cabinets, or on-site battery storage, to be able to do that.

Maybe I am mixing up designed capability vs what it actually is wired for. I thought they were designed with the capability of supplying 1MW if appropriately supplied.
Right, they can but only by stealing power from somewhere else, which is almost always other V3 cabinets at the site. Essentially power is limited by the utility feed/transformer. A 12 stall site often has a 1000kVA transformer, so you can split that across the 12 stalls.

Unless a V3 site has on-site, DC linked, storage they are normally limited to ~90kW per stall when full. (I think there are some newer V3 cabinets that can handle a little more AC power, and are limited to ~100kW per stall when full.)

Reactions: Big Earl