Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Use in Camp Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I just got an air mattress for the back of my model Y. Was thinking of sleeping in it during a weekend trip this month. My question is in Camp mode, how much does a battery drain say in 8 to 10 hours (in approximate percentage)? Will I have to be near a charger?

We've done a couple of "camping" in our car now.

Once, the ambient temperature outside was around 20C (similar temp as what we set inside) and we lost around 8%. On another night, it was 10C outside and we lost just over 10%. I believe we lost around 14% when outside hit around 5C. Obviously the temperature didn't stay constant overnight so I'm sure the heat pump kicked in on all cases.

It all depends on what your night temperature is going to be.

I've done a number of nights in the Y.

My most recent overnights (one person in car):
At 85*F exterior temp from 11 PM - 7 AM I had a ~30 mile decrease in range with Camp mode on at 68*F. (from 257 miles to 225 miles range)
At 87*F exterior tempt from 9PM-8 AM (watched a movie via netflix onboard in theather mode) I had a ~45 mile decrease in range with Camp mode on at *68F. (from 231-186)

A general rule of thumb is 1% consumption (or approx. 3 miles worth of range) per every hour spent in camp mode.

Note camp mode automatically disengages at 20% SoC

On our most recent trip with the exterior being around 50-60F at night, we were pulling around 1%/hour setting the temp to 70F.
In most cases I would estimate about 1%/hr using the AC as well.

I personally didn't like using an air mattress in the back since it's quite thick and takes up a lot of room.

We got one of these:

It is extremely comfortable, doesn't require inflating, and doesn't take much space. It fits easily in the frunk, though I would recommend the two piece over the 3 piece. The fitted sheet they provide is cut to fit the mattress perfectly.