Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Wear Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of the last 85Ds. I took delivery in March of 2016. This past weekend I did my 2nd full range charge (there was a 3rd but I stopped it short at 98% or so). The first was last July and I had about 8,000 miles on the car. I got 275 miles of range from the charge. The last one was this past Friday, and I had just under 20,000 miles on the car. I got 273. Range mode was NOT on for the 2nd. I don't remember if it was on for the first.

The rated range of an 85D, old nose, was 270 miles. As you see, I am above that, even after 20,000 miles. I have always wondered if they had finished with the 85s and actually put a 90 battery in mine that was software limited. I got a call from the factory to upgrade it but I refused to pay the extra $3k. I know there is a way to tell with a sticker someplace.

If I do have a "true" 85, did I just get lucky with the extra capacity? Also, I have read these forums that the drop is most pronounced in the first 25,000 miles, which has obviously not happened (thankfully). I have taken very good care of the battery, with it being below 40% SOC most of the time. Curious if anyone else has had my experience.

I have a July 2015 85D and my rated range has been going up since delivery.

90% - 239 at delivery to 243 this morning
100% - 266 at delivery to 270 a few weeks ago

Also, the Tesla rated range of 270 is with range mode on - my numbers are range mode off. Range mode on adds 3-4 miles, so like you I am at or above rated range after about 20K miles.

Yay?

The sticker you're looking for can be found if you turn the wheel all the way left, then look into the front passenger wheel well from behind the wheel. You should see the sticker, or at least part of it should be visible.

FYI, you want to avoid the bottom 10% at least as much as avoiding the top 10%. You noted it's below 40% most of the time. Cycling where the average is 50% is considered the best practice for longevity.

My (plain, if you can call it that!) 85 range-charges to about 245. It's been stable for quite a while, with 90% at 221. Originally rated at 265, it read 272 the day I picked it up new. I am about a week-and-a-half from 100,000 miles.