Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery won’t charge and now it’s totally dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is more, I crossed 2K miles just a day back. I too saw the lights flicker before the car shut down completely. I too use my Model S charger(gen1) to charge M3.
VIN23XX tho.
No, the tow truck driver could not set the car on tow mode. The car died while he was doing that and he kept the driver door open till the car was loaded/pulled(the same way as urs) on the flat bed. I just got the 2018.14 update (the one with chill mode) two days back. After the update the car was not recognizing both of our phones for unlocking most of the time. Even the card took couple of swipes to recognize.

Which service center is your car in? I can tell my service guys to copy paste the solution from your car ;-)).
Any news on your car?

The charger is in your car, so the only type you used is the integral Model 3 charger.

The EVSE you used to connect power to your Model is highly unlikely to make any diference. (Iy is essentially just a glorified relay in a box.)
Yes. For more context, OP should look at Range issues - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

For level 1 and 2 AC charging over J1772 and Tesla's proprietary connector (just J1772 behind the scenes), the external unit (e.g. mobile connector or wall connector) are just EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment). Charger is on-board the car.

See Wayback Machine and Basics of SAE J1772 : OpenEVSE Support.

For DC (usually fast) charging (e.g. Tesla Supercharger, CHAdeMO and CCS (SAE Combo aka Combo1 or Combo2), the external unit is a charger and the OBC is bypassed. Teslas aren't currently compatible with CCS and Model 3 isn't compatible w/CHAdeMO yet.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
So I just passed 3000 miles and sheet latest firmware update I have the same issue. Car started reported interrupted charging a couple of weeks ago I didn't think anything of it until I found car had hardly charged in the kidding one day. Charge port wouldn't unlock. I found fiddling with a few buttons, opening trunk etc. Kicked it back into like and I could unplug and continue divingd fine. Each day this happened and it got harder to get it going. I noticed the fans in the front kept cycling but never kicking in properly. Then error messages about car needing service unable to drive etc. Appeared. Then over more days messages appeared while driving. I could charge sporadically big noticed the car teporirep huge battery drain, 309w/mile instead of my usual 250/260. Finally this weekend I had to leave the car at home. I left it charging with 140 miles left. Today the car won't do anything. I can use the screen, open doors and have 100 mile left but nothing else works. Charge cable is locked in, no AC etc. I have an appointment booked for tomorrow.. but now can't get it there..
I wonder if a tow truck will get up my narrow driveway to get the car.

Yesterday, I charged my M3 to 100% and drove to SF to pick up a set of Aero wheels/tires. It was totally a steal at $900. And it was so fun to try out the new AP control scroll wheel and loving it. Anyways, since my wife (MS) was out of town, I decided to park my M3 in my wife’s garage and used her gen 1 UMC to charge my M3. This morning, car wasn’t charged at all. Instead I got three different warnings that car is not charging, may not be drivable and need service. I coudln’t even get the charger out. It was locked in. I had to pull it out manually using a release cable. Tried my gen 2 UMC and still no connection. I rebooted three times but no luck. Still charging errors. It seems like I would still be able to drive to SC on Monday. I was able to engage gear to reverse and drive without any issues. Plus I had 79 miles range left. While I was googling to find a solution to my problem, car started showing more errors. ABS errors, brake regen errors, and eventually, it just died. Black screen. Oh $hit. I saw driving light flickering and power door sounded weak and eventually had to use manual door opener to get out.

While calling a road side assistance, I tried to open the frunk with 9V battery. It didn’t work. I tried second brand new 9V battery and still no luck. hmmmmm... This is not good at all. How are they going to tow my car if they cannot open the frunk? Tow truck should be here in about an hour so we will see....

I just had the same issue with my MX, didn't get any error codes, but it wouldn't take the charging cable, and keep it in, and nothing on the LEDs, had to get it towed 150 miles to the nearest service station to Vegas from Kingman, its at the shop now, and they are running diagnostics on it now, lets see what happens!