Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery won’t charge and now it’s totally dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't want to create another thread. I seem to have the same issue. Started my weekend with full charge (311 miles) as I had plans for long drive this weekend. One the way back home (around 250 miles still left) last evening started getting these three msgs (while driving):
"Unable to Charge, Unplug and Try again"
"Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power, Car May Stop Driving or Shut down"
"Car Needs Service, Unable to Charge"
The A/C, fan and music stopped working. Lights, indicator, seat adjustment were fine.

Luckily was able to reach back home by around 5pm and park on my driveway. Went back later in the night to see if the msg was sent in error and if reset would solve the problem. The car now was humming and refusing to go on D or R and still showing the three msgs. Charge port was not opening too.
Tried reset couple of times no help and finally called road side assistance. The tow truck showed up in couple of hours and as he was about to set the car in tow mode the screen died. The car was towed to nearest service center and now waiting for Monday to hear back from the center for loaner, ETA etc. :-(.
IMG_3307 .jpg IMG_3311.jpg IMG_3312.jpg

Don't want to create another thread. I seem to have the same issue. Started my weekend with full charge (311 miles) as I had plans for long drive this weekend. One the way back home (around 250 miles still left) last evening started getting these three msgs (while driving):
"Unable to Charge, Unplug and Try again"
"Cannot Maintain Vehicle Power, Car May Stop Driving or Shut down"
"Car Needs Service, Unable to Charge"
The A/C, fan and music stopped working. Lights, indicator, seat adjustment were fine.

Luckily was able to reach back home by around 5pm and park on my driveway. Went back later in the night to see if the msg was sent in error and if reset would solve the problem. The car now was humming and refusing to go on D or R and still showing the three msgs. Charge port was not opening too.
Tried reset couple of times no help and finally called road side assistance. The tow truck showed up in couple of hours and as he was about to set the car in tow mode the screen died. The car was towed to nearest service center and now waiting for Monday to hear back from the center for loaner, ETA etc. :-(.
View attachment 295893 View attachment 295894 View attachment 295895

OMG. I had exactly the same errors before mine died. I am glad that you were able to take some photos. You were lucky that your tow truck driver was able to set it to tow mode. I see a few commonalties. Battery was 100% charged, long distance trip, and happened on weekend. Which firmware version did you have? Hope you get a better loaner :)

For others, if you see those errors, pull over to a location where tow truck can safely tow your car, leave the frunk open (so that truck driver can charge your battery), and don't leave your kids or pets in the car and walk away. You may not be able to get them out if battery dies. Or you may want to leave a front window open so that you can manually open the car door after battery dies. If safe, you may want to put your car in tow mode. Tow truck driver wasn't able to charge my battery and unable to set it to tow mode.

Last edited:
OMG. I had exactly the same errors before mine died..... You were lucky that your tow truck driver was able to set it to tow mode. I see a few commonalties. Battery was 100% charged, long distance trip, and happened on weekend. Which firmware version did you have? Hope you get a better loaner :)

There is more, I crossed 2K miles just a day back. I too saw the lights flicker before the car shut down completely. I too use my Model S charger(gen1) to charge M3.
VIN23XX tho.
No, the tow truck driver could not set the car on tow mode. The car died while he was doing that and he kept the driver door open till the car was loaded/pulled(the same way as urs) on the flat bed. I just got the 2018.14 update (the one with chill mode) two days back. After the update the car was not recognizing both of our phones for unlocking most of the time. Even the card took couple of swipes to recognize.

Which service center is your car in? I can tell my service guys to copy paste the solution from your car ;-)).

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
There is more, I crossed 2K miles just a day back. I too saw the lights flicker before the car shut down completely. I too use my Model S charger(gen1) to charge M3.
VIN23XX tho.
No, the tow truck driver could not set the car on tow mode. The car died while he was doing that and he kept the driver door open till the car was loaded/pulled(the same way as urs) on the flat bed. I just got the 2018.14 update (the one with chill mode) two days back. After the update the car was not recognizing both of our phones for unlocking most of the time. Even the card took couple of swipes to recognize.

Which service center is your car in? I can tell my service guys to copy paste the solution from your car ;-)).

So sorry to hear !

Looks like it might be update related, but then everybody would have it.
So more likely new update and early built car.

Good luck, hope you guys have a resolution soon.

Reactions: cellogig
VIN23XX tho.

Hmmmm... could be gen 1 charger issue??? My car is at Rocklin, CA SC.

Finally my car is ready. I am going to stop by after work. I need to ask if I can update firmware by myself in the future.
I am wondering if I should try gen 1 charger again and see. Definitely need to try it before my warranty is over.
I am just glad that I am getting my car back.

View attachment 296481
"Engineers performed work around by installing two different firmwares"

Wow. I wonder if your car is the first one with 2 firmware versions on it.

It is so good to have my car back finally.
Firmware is now at 2018.14.13 9e3b7ff. They said, I shouldn’t have any trouble updating.
Unfortunately, they forgot to reattach the middle seat belt. They had to take it back to shop and reattach.
Otherwise, no issues with driving. Everything seems to work well. So nice to have EAP again. I really missed it. So nice. I really hope that I don’t have to post anymore about this.

Yeah, I’m puzzled by that as well. I have no idea what they mean by that. There is no way a Tesla can run two different firmware versions at the same time. It throws a firmware mismatch alert.

I assume they meant they had to install an older firmware version before they could install the current version.

Same issue with my M3 with only 300 miles on it...it was charging for an hour on Sunday night before got the "charging interrupted" error message on the phone. I went to the garage and saw wall connector charger was dead. I reset the circuit breaker and got the wall connector back on and tried it on my MS and it worked fine. I tried to charge the M3 again but would not charge and went inside the car and saw the flashing error messages "vehicle can not maintain power", "vehicle can be used". Got it towed to the SC the next morning and the last I heard from the service advisor was "faulty temperature sensor that caused a circuit board to shut down". The car is still at the SC while my wife is having a 2014 P85 loaner.

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Informative
Reactions: RyanS and cwerdna
I assume they meant they had to install an older firmware version before they could install the current version.

Makes sense. Engineering would have to jump through some circles to do that, but it’s doable for Tesla. Not only does code have to be signed, but the version has to be higher than the current version in order for the vehicle to accept it. This is one of many silly things Tesla has done to lockdown their vehicles and prevent firmware downgrades.

Same issue with my M3 with only 300 miles on it...it was charging for an hour on Sunday night before got the "charging interrupted" error message on the phone. I went to the garage and saw wall connector charger was dead. I reset the circuit breaker and got the wall connector back on and tried it on my MS and it worked fine. I tried to charge the M3 again but would not charge and went inside the car and saw the flashing error messages "vehicle can not maintain power", "vehicle can be used". Got it towed to the SC the next morning and the last I heard from the service advisor was "faulty temperature sensor that caused a circuit board to shut down". The car is still at the SC while my wife is having a 2014 P85 loaner.
Sorry to hear that. Hope they figure it out for you quickly. Feel free to update us on your progress and any fixes. And enjoy P85. :)
By the way, did you charge your M3 with MS gen 1 charger by any chance?

Reactions: Snerruc
Sorry to hear that. Hope they figure it out for you quickly. Feel free to update us on your progress and any fixes. And enjoy P85. :)
By the way, did you charge your M3 with MS gen 1 charger by any chance?

I don't know the difference between the gen 1 vs. gen 2 but I bought the wall connector in December 2017 and my MS is a 2016.5 so I would think it is a gen 2?

Finally my car is ready. I am going to stop by after work. I need to ask if I can update firmware by myself in the future.
I am wondering if I should try gen 1 charger again and see. Definitely need to try it before my warranty is over.
I am just glad that I am getting my car back.

View attachment 296481

Ryan,

What do you have the charge rate set at on your HPWC? So far, it looks like the problems have all been from people using wall connectors that are also used to charge another Tesla. Correction : I just noticed you used the UMC.