Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC and (new) Referral Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just filed a complaint with the office of the ombudsperson. Have been busy for the past few months and am now just getting back to dealing with this. I was making referrals without thinking about the awards or knowing about the restriction in BC. When the old referral program closed and I submitted my request for my award (22” turbine wheels for 3 referrals), Tesla pointed out the fine print and denied me any award. I’ve continued to make referrals. I only hope i’m saved the cost of buying a second set of winter wheels for thousands of dollars when Tesla was willing to give me some before I was branded a “salesperson” and denied by these rules. Ridiculous.

6316751D-4D53-4E3E-9F78-68848BDC198A.jpeg

Will I have my 6 months Supercharger credits extended if I complete a referral? I understand I’m limited to 1500km from my purchase, but was hoping it’ll last 12 months with my friend’s international purchase.
Not under the current rules established by the BCVSA.

I have written a complaint to the Office of the Ombudsperson regarding this as have some others. I suggest that each BC Tesla owner here do the same thing.

Hello,

did you take this back to the MVSA? I too lost my 7500km of supercharging, and another 3000K from two other referrals. Personally feel this is a bit of a joke as I also own a Honda and BMW and in both cases when I have referred a friend/colleague to the dealership they give me a $100 referral fee. How is that any different than giving a referral code to a friend to purchase a Tesla? I know preaching to the choir.

Anyways, just wanted to know if you've taken this any further.

Curious if this affects buyers as well? I see Tesla just doubled supercharger referral miles for buyers.

Is it only referrers that can't get anything? Do new buyers in BC still get the miles if they have a referral?
Correct. The owner with the referral code (referrer) isn't eligible for any of the owner referral program rewards &/or prizes. The promotion for the buyer (new owner) will receive the incentive to purchase.

As silly as it may sound to some on this forum, these sort of purely administrative F ups are, to a large extent, what keeps "mainstream" buyers out of Tesla "showrooms". I just got the below email saying that, with each referral, I'll be entered to win a Roadster or Model Y. They know I'm in BC (as they took my "buyer" credits away earlier), and that I'm not eligible for any referral goodies, so why not scrub their mailing list to reflect that fact, particularly after being made aware (as per the above thread) of the issue?

Sent: September 16, 2019 X:YY AM
To: XX
Subject: Referral Program Updates

You and anyone using your referral link can now earn 3,000 km of free Supercharging with the purchase of a new Tesla car delivered before October 1, 2019. With each referral, you will also be entered to win a Founder Series Roadster or Model Y.​

I have no dog in the fight (no referrals made), and I'm sure there will be those who say to simply enjoy the car and forget about the rest, but a large number of potential buyers value service. I know Tesla can't be all things to all people, but if they can at least start getting some of the "basics" right around service, they may be able to stay relevant as other options become available. Not an issue for today or tomorrow, but they just don't leave me with the warm and fuzzy that anyone at the top is trying to build a business that will be around in 20 years. Disrupt an industry and bring electric cars into the mainstream? Hell yeah! But, remaining a key player going forward? I guess time will tell.

Personally, I would love to see a sale to VW. They've done a great job with Porsche as a subsidiary, and it would give me the confidence to hand over a few more bucks to Tesla to move up the Model 3 food chain.