Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think if they list Tesla, they'll allow an online purchase as there's no other way to buy it, the Gov't is getting their PST, it's clearly "authorized for sale" in BC (since it's being sold by Tesla directly) and I'm sure it meets all of the safety standards.

That said, I think they'll take too much political heat for including Tesla, and they can say--as it stands--that the J plug can also charge a Tesla (with the included adapter).

For now, I think I'll just stick to the UMC for now (and have ordered a UMC holder via Etsy and a cord organizer via Amazon). But I think I'll install the plug 4 feet off the ground so I have the option of throwing a wall charger in place of the plug down the road (I checked the installation manual for Tesla and JuiceBox).
Did you installed it already? Eligible charger list is updating as of posting to include the Tesla charger.

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
Eligible charger list is updating as of posting to include the Tesla charger.

My electrician was supposed to come by today, but needed to clear an issue with the permit (whether conduit would be needed to physically protect the Teck 90 cable from a weed whacker--I sent pics and waiting to hear back), so we are aiming for tomorrow.

I just checked and it looks like a J plug is still required, and the list doesn't include Tesla:

BC Hydro EV Rebate

Did you get word that Tesla will be added?

My electrician was supposed to come by today, but needed to clear an issue with the permit (whether conduit would be needed to physically protect the Teck 90 cable from a weed whacker--I sent pics and waiting to hear back), so we are aiming for tomorrow.

I just checked and it looks like a J plug is still required, and the list doesn't include Tesla:

BC Hydro EV Rebate

I do not see the update either...

BC Hydro EV Rebate

40E988C5-7D97-4A05-877A-BB7D6BC5AB05.jpeg

I assume the $350 "matching" $s from BC Hydro means the $350 base rebate is available too? I just notice it's only a BC Hydro tweet. I'm sure that would be the case, but was wondering if anyone saw anything from the BC program itself.

It's gotta be. That would be worse PR than keeping it off the list. Put it on the list, but it's not actually "purchasable" in BC, so therefore doesn't qualify when bought through the Tesla site?

I think they've got that language in there to be able to point to this program helping BC businesses, ensuring taxes are paid to the BC Gov't, safety standards are met, etc.

The black one is sold out as is the silver one with the shorter cord. I just pulled the trigger on the silver one with the 24 foot cord because their FAQ says it can be returned, unopened, within 60 days (just in case my electrician raises a stink about changing the scope of work).

It's gotta be. That would be worse PR than keeping it off the list. Put it on the list, but it's not actually "purchasable" in BC, so therefore doesn't qualify when bought through the Tesla site?

I think they've got that language in there to be able to point to this program helping BC businesses, ensuring taxes are paid to the BC Gov't, safety standards are met, etc.

The black one is sold out as is the silver one with the shorter cord. I just pulled the trigger on the silver one with the 24 foot cord because their FAQ says it can be returned, unopened, within 60 days (just in case my electrician raises a stink about changing the scope of work).

Reading further on the Tesla Shop Returns FAQ, it does says that shipping charge on return will be deducted from the refund though.

When a return is initiated, you will be provided with a pre-paid return shipping label. The cost of return shipping will be deducted from the refund amount unless the return was due to product defect/warranty.

What to do- I suppose shipping is likely ~$10-20?

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
I didn't make it that far down the FAQs! :-(

Since they haven't provided any guidelines as to what purchased in BC means, and the Tesla adapter is only sold online through Tesla, I just can't see them causing us any grief, particularly after their "good news!" tweet. I just don't think they want to be inundated with eBay and Craigslist buys, people using Amazon (or other stores) in the USA, etc., etc. I'd be willing to bet a Costco.ca buy is fine, as would be a direct sale from Amazon.ca (for example). But, particularly in the case of Tesla, there's nowhere else to buy from but Tesla (Canada).

I didn't make it that far down the FAQs! :-(

Since they haven't provided any guidelines as to what purchased in BC means, and the Tesla adapter is only sold online through Tesla, I just can't see them causing us any grief, particularly after their "good news!" tweet. I just don't think they want to be inundated with eBay and Craigslist buys, people using Amazon (or other stores) in the USA, etc., etc. I'd be willing to bet a Costco.ca buy is fine, as would be a direct sale from Amazon.ca (for example). But, particularly in the case of Tesla, there's nowhere else to buy from but Tesla (Canada).

Agree- I just pulled the trigger as well- as it turns out the 24 feet option works better for me.

At least I won't have to worry about it going out of stock!

Hope we both get our rebates!

It will get to you by Friday? wow.. that's fast!
I already have a 14-50 socket, wish it came as a plug-in model.

A plug in version exists > Tesla launches new Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50 plug - Electrek

Good luck finding one though as it appears to be taken offline from the shop.

Alternatively, you can run a 12" cable (max under US code) to a NEMA 14-50 plug and run it as a regular EVSE. Don't know if that's to code in B.C.

It will get to you by Friday? wow.. that's fast!
I already have a 14-50 socket, wish it came as a plug-in model.

No chance it will be here by Friday, by the electrician is free and wants to run the wiring and will come back to install the charger when it comes in.

One thing I can't see is - where do we send in the information the government half of the rebate?

Believe me, the 24 is a LOT better option. I thought it would be too long for my location, but it’s already proven that the 24 is more versatile, and the shorter one would’ve left me in a pickle a couple of times.