Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I did my own digging and found out the answer myself in case anyone was wondering the same thing

What I'm NOT able to find is HOW do we submit the rebate application for the goverment portion of it. You submit the BC Hydro portion of it via BC Hydro website

Does anyone know how to apply for the government portion of the rebate or are we automatically applied for it once we apply for the BC Hydro portion?

Please note, Tesla Wall Charger is not eligible since charger needs to have a J1772 plug.

Thats the downside that Tesla not following the standard charging ports while everyone else is using J1772 for L2 and ChaDemo/CCS for L3.

if the government keep using incentive must follow the standard path, I wish that one day Tesla shall follow.

In China, every Tesla cars now is shipped with two charger ports one for L2 and one for L3, and both China standard compatible. The main reason Tesla have to do that is the government policy of compliance. Otherwise Tesla won’t have Car purchase tax waiver as well as the free green license plate in some provinces. Tesla used to sell/provide adapter for converting its standard to Chinese standard plug, but it is not the case anymore.

I emailed Zapbc to be put on the waitlist for 2020 and mentioned I wanted to install a home charger in my private parking stall in my highrise condo. They seemed to misunderstand in thinking condos only install chargers in common areas for communal use.

Condos typically allow a few private parking stall charger installations but is very dependent on what the electrical panel can support. My condo panel can only support a few more 20amp breakers so I will have to set the charger at a 16amp charging rate which is very slow. And because it will be using the strata's electricity, I will be paying a flat fee of $50/month to strata for electricity use.

What I don't understand is which rebate a private parking stall in a condo will qualify for ? $350 (constructed after municipal bylaws) or $2000 (constructed prior to municipal bylaws) ? I don't think I will qualify for the bonus $350 + $350 matching rebate from BC Gov't / Fortis because it seems like that is only for home garage installations.

Now that Tesla chargers are included in the rebate list, I wonder if ordering from Tesla Canada's website will meet rebate requirements. There are a few Chargepoint dealers in BC, but I don't have a wifi signal in my underground condo parking spot and I think the Chargepoint Home Flex charger needs wifi to work. If anyone has a home Chargepoint charger, can you let me know if wifi is required for the charger to function ? Thanks.

If you go that route, would you just leave the Tesla j plug adapter installed on the wall charger? Does it just "lock in" so that it's as seamless to use as the mobile adapter? I don't use my j plug adapter, so wondering if I'd even notice a difference going that route vs. using the mobile adapter?

I think one would still have to remove the J adapter each time because holstering the charging nozzle back into the wall charger base may not fit properly with the Tesla J adapter still on.

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
Just thought I'd pass along a heads-up I was given by my electrician.

You need an inspection to get the rebate, and, apparently, the inspector is saying that because the Tesla wall connector can do 80 amps, the panel needs to be wired to support the full 80 amps, even if it's dialed-down internally to a lower amount.

I don't have enough free room in my panel to support that, so it looks like I'm going to have to go back to the original plan and just plug in my UMC and call it a day.

Just FYI.

You need an inspection to get the rebate, and, apparently, the inspector is saying that because the Tesla wall connector can do 80 amps, the panel needs to be wired to support the full 80 amps, even if it's dialed-down internally to a lower amount.

I don't have enough free room in my panel to support that, so it looks like I'm going to have to go back to the original plan and just plug in my UMC and call it a day.

Just FYI.

That's just a load of crap. So in the end, the rebate is pretty pointless for Tesla owners?

I had a wall outlet installed by my electrician, and it was inspected at the time it was installed but I was just planning on having my electrician hook up the Tesla wall connector(charger?) and getting the rebate would I still be eligible for this?

I think it depends on when the wall outlet was installed. If it was installed before September 26, 2019, those expenses won't be covered:

Eligible chargers must be ordered, purchased and installed on or after September 26, 2019. You have 90 days from the charger installation date to submit your rebate application.​

But, half the cost of the charger should be covered. I noticed this on the website, which I think is new (and addresses your specific question--assuming you had a pre-Sept 26th outlet install):

If no electrical work was required:

A complete copy of the paid, itemized receipt for an eligible charger. Must include the retailer's name, address and phone number.

This is only applicable to customers who had a pre-existing 208- or 240-volt outlet available and an electrical system with appropriate amperage for the charger installed, according to the Canadian Electrical Code. Please contact [email protected] to complete your application.
If the outlet was installed on or after September 26th, you should be fine for 50% of both the charger and installation and permitting (up to $700 in total) as long as you get your application in within 90 days:

If the charger was installed by a licensed electrician:

A copy of the paid invoice for the cost of the charger installation by a licensed electrician.

A copy of the EV charger installation form for single-family homes which has been completed and signed by the electrical contractor.​

Reactions: Nepassnakes

Just FYI.

Never knew that part. Since they opened up on “purchased in BC” part, I’m waiting for a sale from US for either a ChargePoint or a Juicebox. They had 32 or 40A versions so I don’t really need upgrade my panel. I plan to ask an electrician to install the receptacle for me and DIY the charger portion since they have plug version. Literally, I need to just mount the charger on wall and plug it in. Hope this setup fulfil their requirements for the rebate program.

I think it depends on when the wall outlet was installed. If it was installed before September 26, 2019, those expenses won't be covered:

Eligible chargers must be ordered, purchased and installed on or after September 26, 2019. You have 90 days from the charger installation date to submit your rebate application.​

But, half the cost of the charger should be covered. I noticed this on the website, which I think is new (and addresses your specific question--assuming you had a pre-Sept 26th outlet install):
Thanks for your help 9-Volt

Never knew that part. Since they opened up on “purchased in BC” part, I’m waiting for a sale from US for either a ChargePoint or a Juicebox. They had 32 or 40A versions so I don’t really need upgrade my panel. I plan to ask an electrician to install the receptacle for me and DIY the charger portion since they have plug version. Literally, I need to just mount the charger on wall and plug it in. Hope this setup fulfil their requirements for the rebate program.

We went through that. We had a 14-50 stove plug installed. No permits or inspection needed as it’s just a receptacle. The EVSE (40 amp Juice Box) has a 14-50 plug on it. It’s just considered an appliance that you plug in. Also no permit or inspection required. Do you need a permit to plug in a toaster or clothes dryer or stove?

Of course, I wasn’t trying to apply for a rebate either.

I know they don't talk about having to be purchased in BC anymore, but I wonder if they'd give you grief about a US purchase, particularly if no PST was paid (a trip to the USA, for example, where you pick it up from a PO Box and cross back into Canada using your personal exemption). I'm probably being overly paranoid, but since you've got a bit of time, you might want to think about emailing them to specifically confirm. For what it's worth, the Tesla charger was invoiced by the following entity, which clearly refers to Canada and BC PST/Business Numbers (just FYI):

upload_2019-10-16_10-31-12.png

Given the size/weight of the box the Tesla charger shipped in, I'm trying to avoid sending it back. I think my electrician can just hardwire a plug in as per @Webeevdrivers. He would then (as you're thinking about doing) install the receptacle, get that permitted (which he says is required) and hand me the Tesla charger to "install" myself (ie, plug it in). As long as your guy is prepared to complete the required form for the installation of the "charger" (see link below), the costs of the charger, the installation of the plug and the permitting costs should all be eligible:

Shouldn't be hard for your electrician to confirm the following, but I'm waiting to hear back from mine:

 Have made sure the customer understands how to operate the EV charger;
 Certify that all applicable permits have been submitted and approved; and
 Have considered cord management methods.​

Mine is all done with a Tesla Charger. Just sent in my paperwork. I will report if there are any issues.

Curious if they made you stick a 100 amp breaker in the panel because the Charger can be dialed up to 80 amps, or if it's just my inspector saying that's a requirement.

Edited to add: Just saw a response from an email I sent to Tesla this morning with the attached document that provides references to the NEC. Not sure if it will help in my case, but it can't hurt and kudos to Tesla for such a quick response.

Attachments

• Wall_Connector_Ratings.pdf
    208.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited: