Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, you guys are starting to make me second guess my decision to just install a plug. Maybe I'll wait it out a bit to see if they'll add Tesla to the list.

At the risk of taking this too off-topic, any idea if the Tesla wall charger can load share with another charger that has load sharing capability? I know the manual only says it will load share with other Tesla wall chargers, but there can't be any "magic" in the signal, can there? Wouldn't it just based on electricity flow? Just wondering if I get a second EV that isn't a Tesla whether a non-Tesla load sharing charger would load share with the Tesla wall charger?

Hmmm, you guys are starting to make me second guess my decision to just install a plug. Maybe I'll wait it out a bit to see if they'll add Tesla to the list.

At the risk of taking this too off-topic, any idea if the Tesla wall charger can load share with another charger that has load sharing capability? I know the manual only says it will load share with other Tesla wall chargers, but there can't be any "magic" in the signal, can there? Wouldn't it just based on electricity flow? Just wondering if I get a second EV that isn't a Tesla whether a non-Tesla load sharing charger would load share with the Tesla wall charger?

Official documents say SR+ onboard charger is 240V at 32A. Get the max 40(32A) anything at home. You never know when you need to top up quickly. The UMC can output 32A without issues. The wall connector is more of a house enhancement at this point for the SR+.

Reactions: 3Victoria
Thanks @5_+JqckQttqck.

The perversity of the incentive requiring a charger purchase is that it ends up being free for me if the incentive applies to the UMC because it is priced so well. If I just install an outlet, I get $0, but if I spend $1,500 between the electrician, the permits and the UMC, then I would get (assuming the BC Govt and BC Hydro allow Teslas to qualify) $700 back. So I'm actually saving $!

In my particular case, I can only get a 32 amp breaker installed, so I'm really getting no benefit at all from the UMC except it looks pretty. But if I get the rebate, I may even pocket some beer money.

With no immediate plans in the works for a non-Tesla EV, I figure I can just change out the UMC if that ever becomes a reality.

In that case, I might hold my breath for a few days to see if Tesla gets added to the list of qualifying chargers (particularly since my electrician just pushed back my appointment by a week).

Last edited:
Thanks @5_+JqckQttqck.

The perversity of the incentive requiring a charger purchase is that it ends up being free for me if the incentive applies to the UMC because it is priced so well. If I just install an outlet, I get $0, but if I spend $1,500 between the electrician, the permits and the UMC, then I would get (assuming the BC Govt and BC Hydro allow Teslas to qualify) $700 back. So I'm actually saving $!

In my particular case, I can only get a 32 amp breaker installed, so I'm really getting no benefit at all from the UMC except it looks pretty. But if I get the rebate, I may even pocket some beer money.

With no immediate plans in the works for a non-Tesla EV, I figure I can just change out the UMC if that ever becomes a reality.

In that case, I might hold my breath for a few days to see if Tesla gets added to the list of qualifying chargers (particularly since my electrician just pushed back my appointment by a week).
I assume you mean HPWC (high power wall connector), not UMC (universal mobile connector, which comes with the car) as another requirement is the charger needs to be wall mounted (though they do allow for it to be plug-in.)

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
I assume you mean HPWC (high power wall connector), not UMC (universal mobile connector, which comes with the car) as another requirement is the charger needs to be wall mounted (though they do allow for it to be plug-in.)
Oops...yea, messed up my acronyms. Meant HPWC (although not sure I actually knew what they stood for until you spelled it out--thanks!).

Oops...yea, messed up my acronyms. Meant HPWC (although not sure I actually knew what they stood for until you spelled it out--thanks!).
You're welcome.

If they do decide to include the HPWC, I'll probably get in on this. I wired my 14-50 outlet with with wire heavy enough to do 60A so I could switch my breaker to 60A and install a HPWC in place of the 14-50. The rebate would essentially make the HPWC free.

Having said that, I do not expect they will include the HPWC. I think they are trying to push J1772 because it is the "standard". Seems fair enough since it's easy to charge a Tesla from a J1772 plug (adapter included with purchase of car) and while it's possible to charge a J1772 vehicle from a Tesla plug, it's much less likely that someone has that adapter. As noted this rebate doesn't require you have an EV, so it's more about getting the charging infrastructure out there. Also, the Tesla HPWC pricing without rebate is competitive with a high power (minimum 60A circuit, 48A charge rate to max my LR AWD) charger after rebate.

You're welcome.

If they do decide to include the HPWC, I'll probably get in on this. I wired my 14-50 outlet with with wire heavy enough to do 60A so I could switch my breaker to 60A and install a HPWC in place of the 14-50. The rebate would essentially make the HPWC free.

Having said that, I do not expect they will include the HPWC. I think they are trying to push J1772 because it is the "standard". Seems fair enough since it's easy to charge a Tesla from a J1772 plug (adapter included with purchase of car) and while it's possible to charge a J1772 vehicle from a Tesla plug, it's much less likely that someone has that adapter. As noted this rebate doesn't require you have an EV, so it's more about getting the charging infrastructure out there. Also, the Tesla HPWC pricing without rebate is competitive with a high power (minimum 60A circuit, 48A charge rate to max my LR AWD) charger after rebate.

If I had a Leaf or Bolt, I'd pay the money to get an Tesla to J1772 adaptor. Especially if the DIY hackers can clone a salvage Tesla ID and get free super charging :)

If I had a Leaf or Bolt, I'd pay the money to get an Tesla to J1772 adaptor. Especially if the DIY hackers can clone a salvage Tesla ID and get free super charging :)
Tesla to J1772 does not, and never will, support supercharging, only L1/L2 charging. I guess theoretical Tesla to CCS or CHAdeMO adapter could support supercharging, but that seems highly unlikely.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Assuming the Tesla wall charger (if they decide to make it eligible for the $700 rebate) has to be purchased from a BC location ....I just checked at the Tesla store on west 4th and there is a 4 to 6 week back order at the store for the Tesla wall charger.

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through before even knowing if they will allow it as an eligible charger.

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
I have my Tesla wall charger still in the box but I found this company called EVTEC that sells chargers and does installs in the Vancouver area.

I have booked an appointment for next Wednesday to get a quote on a charger and installation to see what the net cost would be after the $700 rebate. One of the chargers that they sell that is eligible for the $700 rebate includes the $879 Juicebox pro 40 which seems to be very popular.

I have a quote from an electrician to do the electrical and wiring to install my Tesla wall charger and I will compare that pricing with probably no rebates to the pricing for the installation of the Juicebox pro 40 with the $700 rebate.

Shop

I have booked an appointment for next Wednesday to get a quote on a charger and installation to see what the net cost would be after the $700 rebate

If you go that route, would you just leave the Tesla j plug adapter installed on the wall charger? Does it just "lock in" so that it's as seamless to use as the mobile adapter? I don't use my j plug adapter, so wondering if I'd even notice a difference going that route vs. using the mobile adapter?

If you go that route, would you just leave the Tesla j plug adapter installed on the wall charger? Does it just "lock in" so that it's as seamless to use as the mobile adapter? I don't use my j plug adapter, so wondering if I'd even notice a difference going that route vs. using the mobile adapter?
From the public j plug stations I've used, I believe you could leave the Tesla j plug adapter installed on the wall charger. It would be almost as seamless as the mobile adapter that way. Obviously the j plug with adapter would be a bit more bulky, and instead of opening the charge port door with the button on the mobile adapter you'd press on the lower part of the charge port door to open it. (I used to think you'd need to use the app or the in car screen to open the charge port which would be a bit more of a pain.)

Spacemanrick

I would go that route too but how big of anpai
I have my Tesla wall charger still in the box but I found this company called EVTEC that sells chargers and does installs in the Vancouver area.

I have booked an appointment for next Wednesday to get a quote on a charger and installation to see what the net cost would be after the $700 rebate. One of the chargers that they sell that is eligible for the $700 rebate includes the $879 Juicebox pro 40 which seems to be very popular.

I have a quote from an electrician to do the electrical and wiring to install my Tesla wall charger and I will compare that pricing with probably no rebates to the pricing for the installation of the Juicebox pro 40 with the $700 rebate.

Shop
Hey spr if you dont mind can you let me know the total amount for the install by that company including the juicebox 40? Would be interested if the price is right!

Too bad we cant return the wall charger to the store directly

Sure thing I will let you know Itr4t2 the cost on Wednesday after EVTEC has given me a quote for the total installation cost of the juicebox 40.

Right off the bat the juicebox 40 charger is $879 before tax so that is about $300 more than the Tesla charger after tax so that eats up $300 of the $700 grant right there. I wonder if EVTEC will now boost their installation costs knowing there is a $700 rebate from the government???

Hmm, BC Hydro says we should hear more by the end of this week. My electrician is coming out on Wed to stick a plug in so I can use my UMC. I can't imagine the Gov't changing its mind, but...

upload_2019-10-7_10-5-28.png

Not holding my breath either but it would be great if they included the Tesla charger as being eligible for the $700 rebate. Even if it is included in the eligible list I am still not sure if you have to buy it from a Tesla store in BC instead of online from the Tesla store where it is technically shipped from California?

I think if they list Tesla, they'll allow an online purchase as there's no other way to buy it, the Gov't is getting their PST, it's clearly "authorized for sale" in BC (since it's being sold by Tesla directly) and I'm sure it meets all of the safety standards.

That said, I think they'll take too much political heat for including Tesla, and they can say--as it stands--that the J plug can also charge a Tesla (with the included adapter).

For now, I think I'll just stick to the UMC for now (and have ordered a UMC holder via Etsy and a cord organizer via Amazon). But I think I'll install the plug 4 feet off the ground so I have the option of throwing a wall charger in place of the plug down the road (I checked the installation manual for Tesla and JuiceBox).