Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... Our 29 year old house is 4,200 square feet and has a 100 amp breaker and our wiring is underground so unless we upgraded to a 200 amp electrical box at $2,000 to $3,000 we would be over the electrical limit to be entitled to the BC Hydro $700 EV installation rebate.

... Total cost including all materials was $600 + tax which I thought was very reasonable. I have gone from 7 km/hr charging per hour yesterday to 66 km per hour charging today at 48 amps with the Tesla charger!

@spacemanrick so you end up NOT upgrade to 200A BUT still get 48A? Anyway, $600 + $635 + tax seems to be the best scenario for the max rebate and min out-of-pocket cost (if you qualify to claim the charger portion). Most electricians now quoted much more than that for me and my setup will be much easier than yours: charger right beside the panel (but only 100A).

@spacemanrick thanks for the detailed run-through of your setup. was the $600 including the permit too?

same question to @spacemanrick

Has anyone installed wall connector to their underground private parking stall in a condo ? If yes, can you provide comments on :
1. How much was installation cost ?
2. How many feet of wiring did they have to run to electrical panel, did they have to drill through several concrete walls, and what wiring gauge ?
3. Is it possible to get 50% BC Hydro Rebate on the only the INSTALLATION/Labour cost since the Tesla Wall Connector won’t qualify for the rebate due to condo installation.

I have to use the strata appointed electrician and will be getting a quote next week. My 2 concerns on the rebate qualifications for condos are :
1. Rebate is up to $2000 for condo built before EV charging bylaws in place. Does this mean the installation cost is going to be around $4000 pre-rebate ?
2. Hydro requires applicants to submit pre-approval paperwork prior to starting? Strata is already going to take 1.5 months to review and approve and won’t sign my rebate paperwork until decision. I wonder how long hydro then needs. It sounds like it will take 3-4 months for me to get a wall charger installed.

Electrician will be hooking up dedicated hydro meter to electrical panel but it will still be strata’s hydro account so I will have to be invoiced by strata on a monthly basis. Also, the M3 has a 75 kw battery. I drive enough to deplete 25% battery per day. So my cost will be 18.75 kw x days x $0.083 hydro kw cost = $46.69 per month. If there is tax or strata markup fee, I may be paying more than $50/month. Still cheaper than gas but definitely cuts into the amount I was hoping to save per year.

No I did not upgrade my 100 amp electrical box which is very common for houses in our area that were built 25 to 30 years ago. All 3 electricians that looked at our electrical box said that our box would probably not meet the current inspection requirements but we should be fine with our current box if we didn’t want to spend $2,000 to $3,000 to upgrade to 200 amps. The $600 plus tax charge from the electrician is for materials and labour for 240 volt install of the Tesla charger and does not included permits.

Before we moved into our house 13 years ago the previous owners had the same 100 amp electrical box and they also had a 240 volt electric kiln and also a 240 volt hot tub that we took out of our house when we moved in. We have also replaced all our appliances over the past few years with low energy appliances so I figured we would be fine with our current electrical box especially since we charge our car at night time.

I am currently running the Tesla charger at 60 amps and charging at 67 km per hour but if the electrical charge in the future ever does set off the breaker in our electrical box I can just open the Tesla charger box and manually drop the amperage down on The Tesla charger that I am charging our car at.

Reactions: Stockboy and TomLee
Spoke to a couple of electricians. Moving to a house with a 200A 33yo panel w/ no empty slots. I'm opting for a panel replacement and wall connector installation, figure I might as well get both done while I have an electrician in the garage. Quotes were around $650 for installation of wall connector near panel, including all permits, labour, and material.

Anyone scored a cheap Juicebox? Costco US has it online for 499 but would not ship to the border. Might just go with Tesla but heard @9-Volt had to upgrade the panel because it can go up to 80A. Anyone else was asked to upgrade the panel due to Tesla wall connector installation?

Anyone scored a cheap Juicebox? Costco US has it online for 499 but would not ship to the border. Might just go with Tesla but heard @9-Volt had to upgrade the panel because it can go up to 80A. Anyone else was asked to upgrade the panel due to Tesla wall connector installation?

With Tesla HPWC you can use any 240V circuit from 15A to 100A circuit breaker. There is a switch inside that you set to you circuit size.

Attachments

• EEB272CB-C4FC-4640-B956-BDB5984F3E74.png
    EEB272CB-C4FC-4640-B956-BDB5984F3E74.png
    435.8 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: Vawlkus
With Tesla HPWC you can use any 240V circuit from 15A to 100A circuit breaker. There is a switch inside that you set to you circuit size.

Tesla designed the HPWC that way, but I couldn't pass inspection unless the circuit was wired for the maximum output of the charter.

Tesla sent me a document, which I uploaded in an earlier post (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/wall_connector_ratings-pdf.466816/), but the inspector wouldn't budge--at least for me. Not sure if was a function of an "old school" inspector or what, but I couldn't get it approved without the electrician hooking up a pigtail and installing it (plugging it in) after the inspector inspected the receptacle installation. Just FYI.

Not a condo, but still waiting and Applied a week after the program started

Thanks, now I don’t feel as bad. I am going on 5 weeks and decided not to wait for preapproval. Going to just schedule an electrician to install a Tesla wall connector and forego the rebate. Makes no sense why Hydro is taking so long. Everyday they have the EV Charger rebate commercial on tv but can’t handle the volume of requests?!?!

Tesla designed the HPWC that way, but I couldn't pass inspection unless the circuit was wired for the maximum output of the charter.

Tesla sent me a document, which I uploaded in an earlier post (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/wall_connector_ratings-pdf.466816/), but the inspector wouldn't budge--at least for me. Not sure if was a function of an "old school" inspector or what, but I couldn't get it approved without the electrician hooking up a pigtail and installing it (plugging it in) after the inspector inspected the receptacle installation. Just FYI.
That is absolute BS. I’d get a different inspector.

It’s been awhile since I follow this post. Today I finally get my charger installed. My setup is a plug modified Tesla wall connector with a dedicated power meter going through a NEMA 14-50 receptacle from an un-upgraded 100A panel. Reason being:
1. Tesla wall connector to provide higher current than other in-market charger, if needed.
2. Plug modification allows the charger easy to relocate.
3. NEMA receptacle make sure redundancy if connector ever fail, or other brand charger is needed.
4. A dedicated meter records the real consumption of my EV. I have several 3rd party app, include stats, teslafi, TezLab, installed, but none reported same kWh charged numbers.

anyway, here’s my setup
26A233E3-660E-4438-B1B7-77CDE52FFC77.jpeg