Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV Charger Rebate Program $700

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know they don't talk about having to be purchased in BC anymore, but I wonder if they'd give you grief about a US purchase, particularly if no PST was paid (a trip to the USA, for example, where you pick it up from a PO Box and cross back into Canada using your personal exemption). I'm probably being overly paranoid, but since you've got a bit of time, you might want to think about emailing them to specifically confirm. For what it's worth, the Tesla charger was invoiced by the following entity, which clearly refers to Canada and BC PST/Business Numbers (just FYI):

Given the size/weight of the box the Tesla charger shipped in, I'm trying to avoid sending it back. I think my electrician can just hardwire a plug in as per @Webeevdrivers. He would then (as you're thinking about doing) install the receptacle, get that permitted (which he says is required) and hand me the Tesla charger to "install" myself (ie, plug it in). As long as your guy is prepared to complete the required form for the installation of the "charger" (see link below), the costs of the charger, the installation of the plug and the permitting costs should all be eligible:

Shouldn't be hard for your electrician to confirm the following, but I'm waiting to hear back from mine:

 Have made sure the customer understands how to operate the EV charger;
 Certify that all applicable permits have been submitted and approved; and
 Have considered cord management methods.​

Email sent and confirmation received. "The CleanBC EV Charger Rebate program has been updated to accept purchases made outside of BC and online." As I checked in the history, Juicebox 40 pro had gone as low as US490 around May this year. I'm pretty confident if will go around that price in the upcoming Christmas season too. The charger price is slightly higher than the Tesla charger, but added the capability of data logging. With the lower receptacle installation cost, I probably still save some money. I was quoted $500 to install the receptacle with permit vs $900 to install the Tesla (no words about the panel upgrade, maybe another $500 to do it).

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
Anyone going the DIY route? I did my NEMA 14-50 install myself but I'm considering changing it to the Tesla Wall Connector. I'm in Coquitlam and it looks like the inspection(s) would fall under Technical Safety BC and cost $108.

The wiring I ran is sufficient for 60A, is in flex conduit and there is plenty of extra in the wall to work with. I think what I'd need to do is disconnect my circuit at the panel, remove the 50A breaker, remove the outlet and electrical box and get the wiring inspected. Then install a 60A breaker and the HPWC and get the final inspection.

Main issues I see are being home for the inspections and not having my 14-50 available for some period of time.

The end result is I'd be out of pocket ~$100, my charge rate would increase from 32A to 48A, and I could keep the mobile connector in the car. I'm not convinced it's worth the trouble though.

Or alternately, I could get a wall mount charger with a 14-50 plug and skip the inspections. Charge rate would increase to 40A and I could keep the mobile connector in the car, but I'd have the Tesla J adapter to deal with. This approach will cost more and unless I get a non-Tesla EV in the near future it seems really pointless.

I have the next-best thing. I have my phone paired with my watch, which is configured to vibrate like the world's ending if it loses the connection to my phone. In testing, I can't get more than about 10 meters away before my watch notices I was a derp and left the phone in the car.

Curious if they made you stick a 100 amp breaker in the panel because the Charger can be dialed up to 80 amps, or if it's just my inspector saying that's a requirement.

Edited to add: Just saw a response from an email I sent to Tesla this morning with the attached document that provides references to the NEC. Not sure if it will help in my case, but it can't hurt and kudos to Tesla for such a quick response.

No they did not. The installation instructions allow you to set it to various power levels. As I have a model 3, they went with a 60amp breaker and set the charger to 48amps. Works well to keep some room in my panel if I need it, and I get all the charging my car can handle.

• Informative
Reactions: 9-Volt
Anyone going the DIY route? I did my NEMA 14-50 install myself but I'm considering changing it to the Tesla Wall Connector. I'm in Coquitlam and it looks like the inspection(s) would fall under Technical Safety BC and cost $108.

The wiring I ran is sufficient for 60A, is in flex conduit and there is plenty of extra in the wall to work with. I think what I'd need to do is disconnect my circuit at the panel, remove the 50A breaker, remove the outlet and electrical box and get the wiring inspected. Then install a 60A breaker and the HPWC and get the final inspection.

Main issues I see are being home for the inspections and not having my 14-50 available for some period of time.

The end result is I'd be out of pocket ~$100, my charge rate would increase from 32A to 48A, and I could keep the mobile connector in the car. I'm not convinced it's worth the trouble though.

Or alternately, I could get a wall mount charger with a 14-50 plug and skip the inspections. Charge rate would increase to 40A and I could keep the mobile connector in the car, but I'd have the Tesla J adapter to deal with. This approach will cost more and unless I get a non-Tesla EV in the near future it seems really pointless.

My $0.02 - not worth it to do it. Not much of a useful increase in charge time gain form 32amp to 48amp.

I barely bothered with doing this myself, I went from a 6- 20amp plug to the wall charger. In doing so I went from 15amp to 48amp. Funny thing was 15amp was fine for me. I could charge 200K overnight and that was always more than enough. The rebate sucked me in though.

My $0.02 - not worth it to do it. Not much of a useful increase in charge time gain form 32amp to 48amp.

I barely bothered with doing this myself, I went from a 6- 20amp plug to the wall charger. In doing so I went from 15amp to 48amp. Funny thing was 15amp was fine for me. I could charge 200K overnight and that was always more than enough. The rebate sucked me in though.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time coming up with a reason to do it. I usually spend less than 2 hours a day charging, so cutting that down to 1 h 20 min doesn't really benefit me. The best I can come up with is that would make my mobile connector a backup in case something happens to my wall charger, but then I wouldn't have my 14-50 outlet anymore. I could leave the mobile connector in the car, but I haven't once unplugged it from the wall since I got the car. The 14-50 outlet is a lot more future proof than the Tesla Wall connector.

If the Tesla wall connector with a 14-50 plug were available, I guess it would be worth it since it presumably would be free after rebate and would not require using the Tesla J adapter. I'd get a bump to 40A too, not that it matters much. A "free" J1772 charger with a 14-50 plug would be OK as well, but I don't think I'd find myself using it (i.e. I'd probably plug in my mobile connector instead), plus I haven't see any wall mounted ones priced low enough to be covered entirely by the rebate.

Edit: Just realized they'll only cover up to 75% anyhow, so nothing "free" and thus not really worthwhile for me.

Edit2: Sorry, that was another site with the "old" rebate, but the BC Hydro site doesn't mention the matching in the details, just up to 50% to a maximum of $350, though the headline says they are matching.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Mod3forMe

I was going to go DIY, but I don't know if overall it will be worth it either.

I own a house in Burnaby that is currently rented out, but plan on moving in soon. The garage is on the opposite end of the house as the main panel, which is only 125A service. I'm fairly handy and I can read up on doing the wiring according to code all I want, but I'm afraid I'll fail any electrical load calculation.

Probably going to get an electrician in to take a look, if it's cost prohibitive I can probably live on the 14-30 outlet that's in the garage.

Probably going to get an electrician in to take a look, if it's cost prohibitive I can probably live on the 14-30 outlet that's in the garage.

Unless you really need to add some miles in a hurry, you could just use your mobile charger with a 14-30 to get the charging speeds below and call it a day. I'm going through all this hassle to do just that (upgrade to a 240 volt, 30 amp breaker).
upload_2019-10-16_21-24-57.png

Unless you really need to add some miles in a hurry, you could just use your mobile charger with a 14-30 to get the charging speeds below and call it a day. I'm going through all this hassle to do just that (upgrade to a 240 volt, 30 amp breaker).
View attachment 466966
Just trying to plan ahead. if the total cost is $1400 I'm assuming the dual rebates will give me half of that back, and that would totally be worth it to me.

Just trying to plan ahead. if the total cost is $1400 I'm assuming the dual rebates will give me half of that back, and that would totally be worth it to me.

Fair enough. I'm running into load calculation issues for a <2,500 sq ft house with 200 amp service (but with all electric baseboard heat and no gas). Didn't catch you were moving INto the house. May be able to wrap a 200amp service upgrade into the rebate (if required and the price is right).

What are you using to do the calculations?

Not what, but whom...electricians.

The first one told me I only had 10 amps free, but I find that hard to believe. The wanted the work, so though, I'm inclined to think there was something to it. They That said, they didn't check the "face plates" of the big appliances...instead they only checked the breakers. Not sure if that's how a load calculation is run or not, but we've pulled some appliances off while leaving the breakers as-is (for example, got rid of the garburator, but didn't monkey with the breaker).

The electrician I plan to use (if I hear back from him--I'm still waiting) said he has to come back to run a full load calculation to confirm there's enough room on the main panel.

For what it's worth, I spotted this website, which seems to get good reviews and calculates the load, but I didn't plug my numbers in as I was confused as to how to account for X Watts at 240V vs. 120V and ran out of steam trying to figure it out):

Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator

Not what, but whom...electricians.

The first one told me I only had 10 amps free, but I find that hard to believe. The wanted the work, so though, I'm inclined to think there was something to it. They That said, they didn't check the "face plates" of the big appliances...instead they only checked the breakers. Not sure if that's how a load calculation is run or not, but we've pulled some appliances off while leaving the breakers as-is (for example, got rid of the garburator, but didn't monkey with the breaker).

The electrician I plan to use (if I hear back from him--I'm still waiting) said he has to come back to run a full load calculation to confirm there's enough room on the main panel.

For what it's worth, I spotted this website, which seems to get good reviews and calculates the load, but I didn't plug my numbers in as I was confused as to how to account for X Watts at 240V vs. 120V and ran out of steam trying to figure it out):

Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator

V * A = Watts.

120V * 10A = 1200 watts in a typical 120V 15A household electrical plug circuit.

240V * 10A = 2400 watts in a bulkier circuit for dryers/washers/EVs/AC units/etc.

This means that these devices will use up 2400 watts of power in 1 hour of continuous operation. Here's the fine print. For a heavy device to be running continuously, the fuse/breaker/wires in the circuit need to be rated 25% better than what's required. Or inversely speaking, the load is maxed out at 80% of the circuit. That's why your Tesla UMC at max delivers 32A out of a 40A NEMA 14-50 plug.

Read the back of your appliances to understand their wattage. For example, my custom computer power supply is 2400 watts. 2400W/120V = 20A (*1.25) = 25A circuit required. Most household 120V circuits are 15A. This device is much for a household plug, I need a 120V circuit with at least 25A fuse/breaker to run this computer power supply.

It is quite expensive install to run special wires to a specific location; thus why most household electronics can run off of 120V@15A standard.

Typically, no one will run their washer dryer along with the oven and the EV charger all at once in day to day use.

But if you were to run all the heavy appliances all at once and still have lighting, there is a formula to calculate how much lighting plus general consumer electronics like TV, laptop, cellphone charger, hot tub, pool equipment, external lighting, etc. uses in a given Square Footage of a house.

Your service need to be able to supply 80% of the required current (A) for safe continuous usage of these devices/spaces.

My 1700 Square feet house has a 100A panel with a 60A sub panel to the garage and I am able to dial the Tesla HPWC to 36A (80% * 45A) and not have problems. Even while charging at 7PM in the evening where most of the people of the house are up and using electricity.

Most electricians will go towards the worse case scenario and try to get you to upgrade to 200A to account for every single thing in your home. Gets them work and also fool proofs the install.

Last edited:
V * A = Watts.

No one will run their washer dryer along with the oven and the EV charger all at once in normal situations.

But if you were to run all the heavy appliances all at once and still have lighting, there is a formula to calculate how much lighting plus general consumer electronics like TV, laptop, cellphone charger, hot tub, pool equipment, external lighting, etc. uses in a given Square Footage of a house.

Your service need to be able to supply 80% of the required current (A) for safe continuous usage of these devices/spaces.

My 1700 Square feet house has a 100A panel with a 60A sub panel to the garage and I am able to dial the Tesla HPWC to 36A (80% * 45A) and not have problems. Even while charging at 7PM in the evening where most of the people of the house are up and using electricity.

Most electricians will go towards the worse case scenario and try to get you to upgrade to 200A to account for every single thing in your home. Gets them work and also fool proofs the install.

We have a 100 amp panel in our townhouse. Electrician did his assessment. We have a 40 amp 240 volt Juicebox and a 12 amp 240 volt clipper creek. Would have liked to step up to the 16 amp clipper creek but not enough capacity for the required 20 amp breaker. Our heat and hot water is natural gas.

We have a 100 amp panel in our townhouse. Electrician did his assessment. We have a 40 amp 240 volt Juicebox and a 12 amp 240 volt clipper creek. Would have liked to step up to the 16 amp clipper creek but not enough capacity for the required 20 amp breaker. Our heat and hot water is natural gas.

If you're charging over night, you may be able to put in a smart charging switch which detects available Watts on the EV charging circuits and get that approved. No way you're using any juice while sleeping aside for passive devices like the fridge since you're heating is non-electrical. Not sure about their cost though :)

EDIT: Load sharing not available on those EVSEs?

EV Charging Controlling System (Cost must be much more competitive than panel upgrade).

If you're charging over night, you may be able to put in a smart charging switch which detects available Watts on the EV charging circuits and get that approved. No way you're using any juice while sleeping aside for passive devices like the fridge since you're heating is non-electrical.

EDIT: Load sharing not available on those EVSEs?

We don’t have a Tesla but rather a Leaf. The timers on the leaf start the charging at 1 AM and stop at 3 AM. Everyday. That’s about 6 KW total on the clipper creek. That covers our daily consumption on the leaf. The climate control timer preheats and defrosts the car every morning at about 07:30. Ready for my commute at about 07:40 ish.

We don’t have a Tesla but rather a Leaf. The timers on the leaf start the charging at 1 AM and stop at 3 AM. Everyday. That’s about 6 KW total on the clipper creek. That covers our daily consumption on the leaf. The climate control timer preheats and defrosts the car every morning at about 07:30. Ready for my commute at about 07:40 ish.

Did he show you his calculations? How big is your house? If I can get 60A sub to the garage and be fine with it, you should be able also.

I suppose the code is stricter now, but still. Over night electrical use is next to nothing. Fridge, passive things that are plugged in, some ambient lighting?

Did he show you his calculations? How big is your house? If I can get 60A sub to the garage and be fine with it, you should be able also.

I suppose the code is stricter now, but still. Over night electrical use is next to nothing. Fridge, passive things that are plugged in, some ambient lighting?

You may be right. But our current configuration is working good for us. Even if we get a Tesla we’ll probably stay with what we have. The reality is we do most of our charging with the 12 amp 240 volt clipper creek. It’s a parking situation. The Juicebox is in the garage. The clipper creek is outside where I park the leaf.

20191018_095734_resized.jpg
20191018_095805_resized.jpg
20191018_102353_resized.jpg
20191018_110715_resized.jpg
I just wanted to give an update on our Tesla charger installation. I have been corresponding via email back and forth the past week with our electrician Simon regarding our house’s current electrical constraints and the different options we had for an EV charger. Our 29 year old house is 4,200 square feet and has a 100 amp breaker and our wiring is underground so unless we upgraded to a 200 amp electrical box at $2,000 to $3,000 we would be over the electrical limit to be entitled to the BC Hydro $700 EV installation rebate.

I had ordered the Tesla charger before the EV rebate was announced on September 26 and decided to just keep it and not get the EV rebate instead of paying the shipping costs to send the charger back to Tesla. It is also nice to have the charger that came with the Tesla always in our car just in case we needed to charge up when we are on the road. Simon and his assistant came to my house today and did a great job cutting the holes in our garage and running the wires in our attic so the installation is very discrete with little or no finishing or painting work required after the work that was done today! Simon was obviously very experienced and both him and his assistant were quick and efficient and completed the job in 2 hours. Total cost including all materials was $600 + tax which I thought was very reasonable. I have gone from 7 km/hr charging per hour yesterday to 66 km per hour charging today at 48 amps with the Tesla charger!

Thanks to Itr4t2 for his recommendation of his electrician Simon for the installation of our EV charger! I talked to 2 other electricians who didn’t really seem interested because they weren’t returning my emails or calls while Simon on the other hand promptly answered 5 or 6 of my emails in the evenings the past week and even over the weekend. If anyone is interested in getting the contact information for Simon the electrician please message me.... View attachment 467543 View attachment 467544 View attachment 467545 View attachment 467546 View attachment 467543 View attachment 467545

Yes Simon mentioned that you were setup for 80 amps. Just like speed you can never have too much power:)

Thanks again for giving me Simon’s contact information! I am really impressed with how the Tesla wall charger installation went today. Going from 7km/hr charging on the 120 volt charger to 66 km/hr with the 240 volt Tesla wall charger is quite liberating. I never have to worry again about not being 90% charged for the next day just in case I want to go on a long cruise somewhere!