Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, that doesn't sound right to me based on what I've been reading. I think: (1) you need a VIN to reserve (would you have a VIN for a car to be delivered in 8 months? That doesn't seem likely, but I'm not in the biz), and (2) the sale has to be completed within 90 days of reserving the funds. From the CEV for BC Dealer Manual:

OEM Orders and Submission of Dealership Applications – 90 Day Cut-Off Incentive amounts will be reserved for up to 90 days for OEM order vehicles; if a vehicle sale is not completed within the 90 days, the reserved incentive funds for that vehicle will be re-allocated to the general incentive funds available. Incentive funds expended, reserved and remaining will be tracked on the CEVforBC™ website tracker. Please note: For OEM orders, the VIN is mandatory. An OEM order application cannot be submitted if the VIN is missing.​

I know right. Not an expert but they said they know what they are doing. Guess we’ll see. We don’t want a new vehicle till we get back in the country anyway. If all else fails we’ll get our money back and get a long range rear wheel drive model 3 which isn’t eligible for the incentive anyway.

Nissan dealer is throwing the dice on the funds being available, guess they want to book that sale.

That's what I'm thinking as well. As long as the program is still in effect 90 days before delivery and you've got a VIN, the dealer will just submit the reservation on his end at that time and no one is the wiser. Probably not a bad gamble, because if I was a betting man (as opposed to the stressed-out guy waiting), I'd say all political parties in BC will want to keep this going, at least through October 2021 (next BC election). To do that, though, my niggling fear is that they reduce the $5,000 amount in BC now that there's a federal credit as well. They may be able to justify that reduction (say to $2,500). That's why I'm hoping to get my VIN and funds reserved before the existing $5M runs out. You just never know.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Scrap it program is def going away, it's such a bad program

So they could do the govt reshuffle of funds towards the incentive until it runs out.
I'm sure next election comes, some party is gonna throw out a different twist on the incentive for votes.

I'd say all political parties in BC will want to keep this going, at least through October 2021 (next BC election). To do that, though, my niggling fear is that they reduce the $5,000 amount in BC now that there's a federal credit as well. They may be able to justify that reduction (say to $2,500). That's why I'm hoping to get my VIN and funds reserved before the existing $5M runs out. You just never know.

I would like them to change it by eliminating incentives for hybrids and dedicating the money to BEV, FCV, and a reduced incentive for PHEVs. The incentive for hybrids was important 10 years ago to help consumers’ acceptance of the technology. (I remember the FUD comments I received when I bought my Gen 2 Prius the first day they were available in Canada.)

Hybrids are mainstream now though. I think of the application of these funds to hybrids as being incentivizing the buying of GHG-producing ICEVs.

But now that hybrids are mainstream, there would be a political price for removing the $2,500 before the next provincial election.

Usually funds available goes down.
Today, I checked at 9 am then again at 3pm.
The funds available in that time rose from $5,327,906 to $5,367,906. I think that must be a bunch of rebates expiring today.

I also think I need to stop checking, this has become an annoying and unecessary habit.

• Funny
Reactions: 9-Volt
I don't think there's any fear of the incentives running out, at least if you're in BC. From the Vancouver Sun article updated today:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...ays-spike-in-electric-vehicle-sales-early-may
The $10-million CEV for B.C. top-up was the first instalment of funds from $42 million allocated for the program in the 2019 provincial budget. The province’s CleanBC plan has a contingency fund of $37.3 million that could be accessed if the CEV for B.C. funding runs dry this fiscal year, the ministry said.

The federal incentive will be drawn from a pool of $300 million over three years, according to Transport Canada.

• Informative
Reactions: samk579
Latest graph.. Notice the daily burn rate has dropped in the last few days. I don't believe that's entirely attributed to slower demand. At least part of the <$400k/day rate is related to 90 day expiries of unfulfilled orders.. I noticed this yesterday when the funds available briefly went UP instead of down, from 9am to 3pm. Anyways I'm just speculating but we'll only know next week whether this drop is temporary.. Maybe it's related to less orders because people are worried the rebate will run out before their delivery.. Or pent up demand fulfilled? Who knows. One interesting observation; last time it dropped like this, the fund was topped up a couple days later.

20190528CEVforBC.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. You need a VIN to reserve, and with so much demand for the Model 3, I have to think any cancellations will be filled immediately with the next buyer, so the "grind" on the fund will be in the order of ~100 orders a day they are receiving and eventually getting around to reserving. Or ~$500k/day. Since there are so few other models available.

I don't think we'll see a change or gap in funding, but I haven't had a response back on an email I sent the contact person at the Ministry.

I noticed this from the CEVBC Dealer manual, which supports the "no gap" theory ("first-come, first-served" and being careful when the 90% total threshold is hit).

How Do Dealerships Apply For The Reimbursement?
The point of sale incentives will be available for vehicles sold or leased from April 1st, 2015 to March 31st, 2020 (or when program funding is depleted whichever comes first), on a first-come, first-served basis. Dates for additional incentives will be posted as new eligible vehicle models are approved by the BC Ministry of Energy and Mines.

Program management will require close collaboration between the NCDA and the dealers that sell or lease eligible vehicles once 90% of overall program funding has been expended so as to not exceed the maximum program funding available. The BC Ministry of Energy and Mines will not provide additional funding to the NCDA or individual dealers to cover any point of sale incentives exceeding overall program funding agreement.​

What we need now is some money allocated towards EV chargers. It ran out last year and never came back.

I’m planning to run out my 7,500 free SC kilometers and use free L2 charging on an almost daily basis. (There is an almost unused single charger near my workplace.)

As much as I would like free money for a charger, I would prefer that the government put all of the incentive towards EV purchases rather than individual chargers. I am more interested in seeing more BEVs on the road than maximizing benefits to those who have an EV.

Given that many people would not benefit from money for chargers (condo owners and almost any renters), I think the environmental benefit is greater from incentivizing the purchase of the car than the individual charger. If there were incentives for chargers, I would hope they would be for publicly accessible chargers, not individuals like me.

It's gonna start depleting again, the batch catchup. I'm gonna say mostly model 3 and PHEV orders since everything else is really long lead times (leafs, Kona's, VAG)

Our Leaf SL Eplus order is expected to arrive in 2020. I think Nissan majorly screwed up on the provincial allocation as they could easily sell twice their allotment. For us it kinda works out as we actually can’t take delivery till then anyway as we are out of the country.

I think Kia and Hyundai May be in a similar demand is greater than supply situation. The only one that has lots of inventory in the province is Chevy Bolt.

Tesla is still really the only mass producer of EV’s and from what I gather from some of the threads on here it is still about 6 to 8 weeks for a model 3 here.

Probably just barely. It goes down roughly $400k/day, that gives you 10.25 days (June 10th).

That said, they still have funds allocated for the program. It's a matter of when they'll top it up again, not if.

Actually it's slowed during the last week and is now under $300K per day, so this current batch may last until June 13th or so. But of course, they still have money, yes, so they should put another 10M in the fund around about then. I wouldn't worry too much about the BC rebate.

As much as I would like free money for a charger, I would prefer that the government put all of the incentive towards EV purchases rather than individual chargers. I am more interested in seeing more BEVs on the road than maximizing benefits to those who have an EV.

While that's true, there is a tipping point where we will face a shortage of chargers. Tesla is currently delivery 80 cars per day in Vancouver. It's great! But if people aren't willing to fork $$ for home charging upgrades, the public/paid ones will get full quickly. Tesla in the US is already restricting how much you can charge on their superchargers to get more cars in.

While that's true, there is a tipping point where we will face a shortage of chargers. Tesla is currently delivery 80 cars per day in Vancouver. It's great! But if people aren't willing to fork $$ for home charging upgrades, the public/paid ones will get full quickly. Tesla in the US is already restricting how much you can charge on their superchargers to get more cars in.

Great news but curious on your source. That’s a whack of cars.

Those bastard Tesla buyers are sucking the fund dry!

upload_2019-5-31_16-8-47.png

Even with $32M behind these ones, and a contingency fund, there may not be enough $s to go around if demand stays up. Probably better, politically, for the Gov't to keep folks happy with the vehicle rebates vs. the chargers.

• Funny
Reactions: fidodido