Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC Scrap-It EV Incentive Program - $3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I did a quick forum search and didn't see anyone mention this EV incentive program for BC residents.

Long story short, if you scrap an eligible vehicle (2000 or older model, registered owner, insured for 6 consecutive months under ICBC at time of application) you can get an additional $3000 towards an eligible EV! With the upcoming CEV for BC campaign rolling out again in the near future, this combined incentive will put us close to our friends out in the East Coast.

Here is the link to more information Scrap-It EV Program.

Hope this will help some of you! I'm still saving for the Model X.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your first post!

scrap an eligible vehicle (2000 or older model, registered owner, insured for 6 consecutive months under ICBC at time of application) you can get an additional $3000 towards an eligible EV

The car would need to be 14 years old and worth less than $3000 on the open market to make sense.
Ok, did an autotrader.ca lookup for cars in BC that match that criteria.
That returned 409 "cars" (1990-2000 model year, in BC, less than $3000)
The first page of results was typical, namely, "perfect condition, just needs new water pump", etc. ;-)

To put that into perspective, there are currently 25,651 cars for sale in BC on autotrader!
That means that 1.6% of the cars available fit the "generous" criteria for BC EV scrap it program.

The average price of an electric car, about $30K before incentives.

What's the likelyhood someone with $25K to spend after incentives and tax on a new EV also has one of those 1% beaters? Anyone? :confused:

Bizarre incentive IMHO.

Glad to see they are trying something, but not sure this is going to actually get used...

What's the likelyhood someone with $25K to spend after incentives and tax on a new EV also has one of those 1% beaters? Anyone? :confused:

I agree with your analysis, but there are always weird people out there. Take me, for example. :) I own a Model S, and my wife drives a 25 year old Volvo station wagon. She loves the station wagon. It just keeps running. But as a used car it is definitely worth much less than $3000. I'd love to trade it in on a Model X, but

a) she doesn't want a Model X
b) $3000 isn't really a relevant factor in a purchase over $100K.

Hi everyone, I did a quick forum search and didn't see anyone mention this EV incentive program for BC residents.

Long story short, if you scrap an eligible vehicle (2000 or older model, registered owner, insured for 6 consecutive months under ICBC at time of application) you can get an additional $3000 towards an eligible EV! With the upcoming CEV for BC campaign rolling out again in the near future, this combined incentive will put us close to our friends out in the East Coast.

Here is the link to more information Scrap-It EV Program.

Hope this will help some of you! I'm still saving for the Model X.

I was reading from the Clean Energy Vehicles for BC website the following note about the Tesla 3 eligibility (Frequently Asked Questions | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia)
+++
WILL THE TESLA MODEL 3 BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE INCENTIVE?
In order for the Model 3 to be eligible for the rebate, it must be on our approved list of eligible vehicles. New vehicles get added to our eligible vehicle list closer to the time of the vehicles delivery date. Our understanding is that the Model 3 is estimated to be delivered late 2017 to early 2018. If the program is still running at the time of its arrival there is a chance it will be added, however it is all based on whether or not funding is still available.
+++
It would be very frustrating if the government doesn't extend the funding to this program.

I was reading from the Clean Energy Vehicles for BC website the following note about the Tesla 3 eligibility (Frequently Asked Questions | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia)
+++
WILL THE TESLA MODEL 3 BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE INCENTIVE?
In order for the Model 3 to be eligible for the rebate, it must be on our approved list of eligible vehicles. New vehicles get added to our eligible vehicle list closer to the time of the vehicles delivery date. Our understanding is that the Model 3 is estimated to be delivered late 2017 to early 2018. If the program is still running at the time of its arrival there is a chance it will be added, however it is all based on whether or not funding is still available.
+++
It would be very frustrating if the government doesn't extend the funding to this program.
Hi Yoshii,

First welcome to TMC.

The Vancouver Tesla delivery center should be able to submit the claim once deliveries begin. A few people have reached out to the BC SCRAP-IT Program administrators and got some mixed responses, but here is mine:

You will have to speak to the West 4th location as they have been allocated a certain amount of incentives. My understanding is that they are providing the incentives on a first come first serve basis, meaning the first Model 3 to arrive they will contact the customer and confirm if they are a Scrap-It customer – and so forth.

Hi Yoshii,

First welcome to TMC.

The Vancouver Tesla delivery center should be able to submit the claim once deliveries begin. A few people have reached out to the BC SCRAP-IT Program administrators and got some mixed responses, but here is mine:

It's good to know that the delivery center would submit the claim on the behalf of the client. The only thing that concerns me as a future Tesla owner (for 2019 or 2020), is that the once the funds are depleted the program ends:

WHAT HAPPENS IF FUNDS ARE DEPLETED BEFORE THE PROGRAM END DATE MARCH 31, 2020?
Once the funds are depleted the program ends.

This doesn't provide much certainty for those who are in the 12 to 18 months waiting list.
I feel like I should simply wait until Tesla ramps up production until the wait time is less than 3 to 4 months; and check the status of local BC rebates.

The qualifying EV page on the scrap-it website (Qualifying EVs – The BC SCRAP-IT Program) indicates:

CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: All of the Tesla Model 3 incentives for 2018 have been claimed. We do not have any more $6,000 incentives for the model 3 available.​

How that ties into the first come first serve information provided to Paul Carter isn't entirely clear to me. I hadn't heard that there had been any model 3 deliveries in BC yet.

The qualifying EV page on the scrap-it website (Qualifying EVs – The BC SCRAP-IT Program) indicates:

CUSTOMERS PLEASE NOTE: All of the Tesla Model 3 incentives for 2018 have been claimed. We do not have any more $6,000 incentives for the model 3 available.​

How that ties into the first come first serve information provided to Paul Carter isn't entirely clear to me. I hadn't heard that there had been any model 3 deliveries in BC yet.
Well this is disappointing news. I'm wondering if the people who ordered and expecting delivery went through the process and consumed up all the allocated incentives for Tesla.

Well this is disappointing news. I'm wondering if the people who ordered and expecting delivery went through the process and consumed up all the allocated incentives for Tesla.

I agree. Assuming that the incentives are renewed in 2019, people ordering in early 2019 may want talk to the delivery centre about qualifying for the scrap-it program before placing the order and try to claim/reserve the incentive earlier in the process. I suspect very few incentives were available in 2018.

Wow, this is really discouraging news. I was really looking forward to getting one more ICE vehicle off the road, but financially this means we'll have to sell it instead. :(

Foll

Yea. So I just followed up on this. The allocation is 10 cars per year. :eek: So 2018 used up. 10 more available in 2019 if funds available. So sad. :(

Is it 10 cars per dealership/store, I wonder? If so, then that's a pretty unfair way to divvy things up since there are so many dealerships out there versus Tesla stores. Seems like it'd be more equitable to divide them up by manufacturer, though I realize that's sour grapes talking....

Is it 10 cars per dealership/store, I wonder? If so, then that's a pretty unfair way to divvy things up since there are so many dealerships out there versus Tesla stores. Seems like it'd be more equitable to divide them up by manufacturer, though I realize that's sour grapes talking....
Not sour at all, not really fair. Should be by vehicle (which I guess is by manufacturer).
Its per Dealer. Tesla is being considered a single dealer here. I did a quick search and see 18 Chevy dealers within 100 km of downtown Vancouver. So the Bolt for example has 180 allocated perhaps. So if your local dealer has used up all its 10 Bolt allocations, you can just get the Bolt moved to another dealer. Now that isn't fair at all.