Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be a 14-50 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my garage 30 amp outlet upgraded to a 50 amp service. To my surprise, the outlets have different plug profile so my current adapter can’t connect. When I tried to ordered a new NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla I found it is out of stock and I could only ask Tesla to email me when it’s available. So my only local option is now using the 110 outlet. Should I worry that I may have a long wait? Should I have the 30 amp plug restored?

And that's probably why they are out of stock at Tesla... The eBay sellers are buying them up.

Absolutely. At the same time, Tesla creates the opportunity for resellers, since they seem so consistently unable to maintain stock of various adapters. I can understand accidentally running out of stock, but it seems that the 14-50 enters out of stock status every few weeks. If Tesla could simply produce and stock a sufficient number, there would be no money in reselling.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I just had my garage 30 amp outlet upgraded to a 50 amp service. To my surprise, the outlets have different plug profile so my current adapter can’t connect. When I tried to ordered a new NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla I found it is out of stock and I could only ask Tesla to email me when it’s available. So my only local option is now using the 110 outlet. Should I worry that I may have a long wait? Should I have the 30 amp plug restored?
Your electrician can get you one.

Did you register for an email notification for when they would be restocked ?

I did. A week later I got an email.
I logged into the website and it said that they were out of stock.
I went back to the email, and clicked on the link in the email, and I was able to buy one.

So it looks like, when you register for an email, when it arrives, they hold the adapter for you, and not make it available from the website.

jp

• Informative
Reactions: Kevy Baby and DR61
The only difference between 14-30 and 14-50 is the shape of the neutral blade. The neutral blade isn't needed for EV charging. So if you were using a 14-30 adapter, just grind off the neutral blade on the plug and it will fit in either a 14-30 or 14-50 receptacle. Charging amperage will be limited to 24 amps in either case. So it is totally safe. (Tesla should really sell the 14-30 adapter with neutral blade omitted.)