Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Behold HW3 ( First pics ) !!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was previous speculation that a display output from HW3 could be used to drive a head’s up display was there not? Not in that form factor of a regular HDMI plug in a production car but then the current board revision is not meant for such future-upgraded cars either...

Probably is just a debugging tool though.

There was previous speculation that a display output from HW3 could be used to drive a head’s up display was there not? Not in that form factor of a regular HDMI plug in a production car but then the current board revision is not meant for such future-upgraded cars either...

Probably is just a debugging tool though.

I believe verygreen stated usb-c is for a HDD/ssd for video capture purposes. Not sure about HDMI, but likely for an auxiliary screen when debugging or accessing stored video. I suspect the end user won't be able to use it. Didn't Elon say before that HUD will be pointless soon because of FSD? Not saying I agree, I think he just mentioned it during the whole HUD frenzy (that I was admittedly a part of).

Reactions: APotatoGod
I believe verygreen stated usb-c is for a HDD/ssd for video capture purposes. Not sure about HDMI, but likely for an auxiliary screen when debugging or accessing stored video. I suspect the end user won't be able to use it. Didn't Elon say before that HUD will be pointless soon because of FSD? Not saying I agree, I think he just mentioned it during the whole HUD frenzy (that I was admittedly a part of).

There are no recent signals from Tesla they might be pursuing the heads up display so yes I agree this is likely just a debugging output (it would not work in a production car without a lockable connector anyway). But if there was such a hypothetical second display it could make some sense it was driven by the AP computer.

What doesn’t match? The sticker shows 1655000 in a new-build Model X and in the screenshot from the parts catalog they highlighted shows 1655000 for MSX ECU3.0

And there’s a new HDMI port on it.

And they confirmed the APH4 code on their build.

And there is an event on 4/22 about the new AP3.

???
Really, these part numbers match? Might need to get your eyes checked.

Attachments

• D9524FDB-7422-47A7-9118-41862E585E03.png
    D9524FDB-7422-47A7-9118-41862E585E03.png
    641 KB · Views: 177
I love how people are “disagreeing” with a literal, verifiable fact lol. Looking at you willow_hiller

I think myself and a few other commenters made it abundantly clear how the part number in the video is a match for HW3. Since you were unwilling or unable to understand that, it was much easier to "disagree" with your last post instead of trying to convince you otherwise.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
B40375DA-E25D-4115-ADDC-FE6CC3A6A93D.jpeg
I think myself and a few other commenters made it abundantly clear how the part number in the video is a match for HW3. Since you were unwilling or unable to understand that, it was much easier to "disagree" with your last post instead of trying to convince you otherwise.
Is this what being gaslighted feels like? Look at the first page of this thread, better yet here’s a picture with the part numbers circled. They don’t match, end of story. Full stop.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Here's a video showing a Model X with AP3 hardware installed. The AP3 hardware was not removed from the car so you can only see the bottom and sides and can't see the goodies on the circuit board.

You can see the label which clearly shows the part number for the Autopilot 3 ECU: 1655000-70-F. You can also see some of the ports and connected cables. We might be able to get a better look later.

2019-04-05.png

View attachment 394050

View attachment 394827
Is this what being gaslighted feels like? Look at the first page of this thread, better yet here’s a picture with the part numbers circled. They don’t match, end of story. Full stop.

For the whole assembly part (not individual pieces of the assembly) number P1655000 is the same for both the photo and the catalogue. In the extension there indeed is a difference of -00- vs -70- in the part number but given that the rest of the number match it is realistic this is HW3 too, the extension being simply a variant, revision, geographic or retrofit difference as is usual with automotive parts.

For the whole assembly part (not individual pieces of the assembly) number P1655000 is the same for both the photo and the catalogue. In the extension there indeed is a difference of -00- vs -70- in the part number but given that the rest of the number match it is realistic this is HW3 too, the extension being simply a variant, revision, geographic or retrofit difference as is usual with automotive parts.
So you’re agreeing with me and you are guessing as to why the numbers are different and again guessing that it’s “probably” HW3. The fact is the part numbers don’t match, thanks for proving my point.

So you’re agreeing with me and you are guessing as to why the numbers are different and again guessing that it’s “probably” HW3. The fact is the part numbers don’t match, thanks for proving my point.

I agree the extension of the part numbers does not match but the main part number matching is more significant in my view. I would say that is far more than a guess. The exact purpose of the extension is a guess but this being HW3 in my view is not.

Are you suggesting this is not HW3?

To elaborate my take on this: You do not expect this level of exactness from an automotive parts catalog as @welcomewagon suggests. Parts do go through different revisions and do display multiple number variants in different places in catalogs. Electronic catalogs may display just one based on selected settings and have a list of variants in another place and so forth. There are likely more than just these two codes for this part already. Here we have both location and visual confirmation of this part in both the catalog and the car.

That is a match. -00- vs -70- in an extension does signify something but it does not make P1655000-00- and -70- suddenly completely different things. The location and the main part of the part number matching are the significant things here. It clearly is HW3.

In fact, AP2 went through the same move from -00- to -70- for its APE in October-December 2016 — the difference was basically production date and some minor things related to that.

This gives me a thought. Maybe that HDMI connector is related to it being early series -00- for development use.

Indeed even HW2.5 has an empty spot where that HDMI connector is, maybe -70- version omits the HDMI...

Maybe only -00- has HDMI?

To those discussing the slight difference in part numbers, yes, they are not exactly the same but as @electronblue , @willow_hiller and others have mentioned, it is definitely AP3 hardware and perhaps difference is because we only looked at the outer enclosure and not the inner circuit board. We asked at the Service Center and they tried looking up the part on the outer sticker and they couldn't even find it listed anywhere in their parts catalog yet.

We did get some additional footage of the AP3 hardware and will probably put it online this week. We noticed what appeared to be a micro-HDMI port on the left side. The HDMI and USB-C ports are on the right side.

To those discussing the slight difference in part numbers, yes, they are not exactly the same but as @electronblue , @willow_hiller and others have mentioned, it is definitely AP3 hardware and perhaps difference is because we only looked at the outer enclosure and not the inner circuit board. We asked at the Service Center and they tried looking up the part on the outer sticker and they couldn't even find it listed anywhere in their parts catalog yet.

We did get some additional footage of the AP3 hardware and will probably put it online this week. We noticed what appeared to be a micro-HDMI port on the left side. The HDMI and USB-C ports are on the right side.

Did you pop off the heat sinks?