Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Behold HW3 ( First pics ) !!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell, the 3's part list isn't as verbose when it comes to the computer. Only two parts: https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47362?partNumber=1098058-S0-L&partId=5531524
Are you sure that's the AP computer, and not the MCU? I checked under the same Electrical subheading, but couldn't find anything either for the Model S or the Model 3 that specifically said Autopilot, like in the Model X.

I'm guessing HW3 is an X exclusive for now.

Are you sure that's the AP computer, and not the MCU? I checked under the same Electrical subheading, but couldn't find anything either for the Model S or the Model 3 that specifically said Autopilot, like in the Model X.

I'm guessing HW3 is an X exclusive for now.

It may be a housing for both. The part description is "CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY-PROVISIONED" where ADAS might stand for "Advanced driver-assistance systems."

I think there are just different naming conventions for parts between the 3 and the X. The X's HW2.5 is called "ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,2.5-FUSED" and yet we know the 3 has at least 2.5.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It may be a housing for both. The part description is "CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY-PROVISIONED" where ADAS might stand for "Advanced driver-assistance systems."

I think there are just different naming conventions for parts between the 3 and the X. The X's HW2.5 is called "ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,2.5-FUSED" and yet we know the 3 has at least 2.5.

Yeah, I think you're correct. Googling to find an image of the Model 3 AP computer came up with this old Electrek article showing the HW2.5 computer out of an S, and the inputs look pretty much the same, with some slight re-arrangements.

Here's a video showing a Model X with AP3 hardware installed. The AP3 hardware was not removed from the car so you can only see the bottom and sides and can't see the goodies on the circuit board.

You can see the label which clearly shows the part number for the Autopilot 3 ECU: 1655000-70-F. You can also see some of the ports and connected cables. We might be able to get a better look later.

2019-04-05.png

View attachment 394050

Lmao i'm gonna give u a like and subscribe just for the "wasted" lmfao!

Also venturing another guess here on the logic behind the difference in naming conventions. The Model 3's computer may have been designed from the start to have a modular component (hence the reported ease of retrofits). So the part number might not actually update for the main computer. There's a secondary chip labeled "M3,KIT,Serviceability,Connectivity,NA" that plugs onto the underside of the computer, could "Serviceability" mean that's the bit that gets upgraded?

m3comp.png

Here's a video showing a Model X with AP3 hardware installed. The AP3 hardware was not removed from the car so you can only see the bottom and sides and can't see the goodies on the circuit board.

You can see the label which clearly shows the part number for the Autopilot 3 ECU: 1655000-70-F. You can also see some of the ports and connected cables. We might be able to get a better look later.

2019-04-05.png

View attachment 394050

Awesome. Congrats!

This is probably more hassle than you can handle right now, but could you check the front and rear bumpers to see if there is a second radar and also check the cameras to see if there are any other changes from AP2.5 hardware to AP3?

This is probably more hassle than you can handle right now, but could you check the front and rear bumpers to see if there is a second radar and also check the cameras to see if there are any other changes from AP2.5 hardware to AP3?
I'll add it to the list.

BTW, we did check and there's still no speaker grille under the front end. I think we were the first to discover the speaker grille on the Model 3 when it was delivered in December. There wasn't an actual pedestrian noisemaker speaker installed on the 3, just the speaker grille.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Uhh you guys realize those part numbers they’re showing don’t match the HW3 part number in the catalog right?

You’re showing screenshots to prove they match, and they literally don’t match, which no one is talking about. What am I missing.
What doesn’t match? The sticker shows 1655000 in a new-build Model X and in the screenshot from the parts catalog they highlighted shows 1655000 for MSX ECU3.0

And there’s a new HDMI port on it.

And they confirmed the APH4 code on their build.

And there is an event on 4/22 about the new AP3.

???

Uhh you guys realize those part numbers they’re showing don’t match the HW3 part number in the catalog right?

You’re showing screenshots to prove they match, and they literally don’t match, which no one is talking about. What am I missing.

It's not an exact match, but maybe "00" stands for an original install, while "70" will be the retrofit. The part numbers for 2.0 and 2.5 are very different.

autopilot.png

It's not an exact match, but maybe "00" stands for an original install, while "70" will be the retrofit. The part numbers for 2.0 and 2.5 are very different.View attachment 394427
70 does not mean retrofit. Loads of part numbers in the manual has «70» before the letter. I’m inclined to think it has more to do with region, or maybe revision (the letter usually signifies revision, though).

Part number is of course different for 2.0 and 2.5. But the 3.0 is the same for S and X