Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

11.4.4 HW4 > 11.4.4 HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a MYLR 2021 with 11.4.4 for a few months on my commute to work. Ive been in beta since like 10.2. About a month ago I traded it in for a MYLR 2023 to do the FSD transfer. I can say with confidence that HW4 11.4.4 is better than HW3 11.4.4. The transition from HW4 to HW3 is larger than any 11.X release to another 11.X release. It is much more confident in turns. I drive the same route every morning and for the first time it did an unprotected left (chuck cool style) flawlessly. It did not have to creep as much. I thin with the higher resolution it can "see" further and be more confident. Anyways just a N=1.

11.4.4 is rather inconsistent in my experience. Sometimes it will nail the entire route with not a single intervention, but sometimes it will make a stupid mistake on the same route, like taking a wrong lane or stopping at a roundabout with no cars in view. So it’s too early for any conclusions.

Having said that, I have the same initial impression! HW4 with 11.4.4 feels much more smooth and confident than 11.4.4 on a HW3 car. It executes turns and lane changes almost perfectly like a human would do. Not much hesitation or jerkiness, no nervous steering wheel rotation back and forth. I really like it so far!

My experience was great until my MXP with HW4 tried to kill me by aggressively moving into a left lane trying to crash into a big FedeX truck. I had my bike rack on with two bikes but the car just totally ignored the truck even though it showed it in the visualization. It was shocking and scary.

Hard to believe anyone would bother deciding which version is better. Terrible = terrible. 11.4.4 on my HW4 Y is worthless, at least on city streets. Attempted sudden lane changes into short turning lanes and mindless lane changes on clear straight streets — usually into the least desirable lane — are a nightmare. Hard for me to believe the YouTube stars can be such prostitutes by raving about this product.

I assume the focus is on developing v12 so I don’t expect any meaningful improvement to v11. All in all I can’t believe how bad this product is considering my first FSD purchase was in 12/2016 and Musk promised it would be superb within a year. What a joke on all of us nearly seven years later, yet we still see threads like this one.