Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who, in here, was the first to get a MY with HW4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Group: I took the delivery of my 2023 MY LR yesterday. It is Fremont built and came with HW4 - those red cameras :)
The VIN is 791XXX. So this should give you indication on what to expect if you have your VIN.

Honestly, I don't feel any difference, perhaps because I didn't buy their FSD or EAP. I am on a basic AP.

Reactions: WyoDude
Group: I took the delivery of my 2023 MY LR yesterday. It is Fremont built and came with HW4 - those red cameras :)
The VIN is 791XXX. So this should give you indication on what to expect if you have your VIN.

Honestly, I don't feel any difference, perhaps because I didn't buy their FSD or EAP. I am on a basic AP.

Please take some pics of the HW4 cameras and post them here.

Reactions: AbraDabra007
Please take some pics of the HW4 cameras and post them here.
Here you go... The car is in garage and reflecting too much when taking photo. This is the best I could get. You can see distinct Red and also that "eyebrow"

Attachments

• PXL_20230605_160526572.jpg
    PXL_20230605_160526572.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 172
Curious not doubting but how do you know it’s HW4 based on them simply changing camera suppliers? Granted without FSD you wouldn’t get much change or value. How are we certain it’s actually HW4 computer other then a camera plastic enclosure.
Great question. I think there are some threads out there on Twitter saying it. In my case - I also asked SA and he said HW4, not saying SA is more reliable source of information than twitter. ;)

Reactions: Mayer
Curious not doubting but how do you know it’s HW4 based on them simply changing camera suppliers? Granted without FSD you wouldn’t get much change or value. How are we certain it’s actually HW4 computer other then a camera plastic enclosure.
We really don't know what "HW4" really means. We know the cameras are updated, we know that S/X have radar (not active). we know MY doesn't have radar (so far). We don't know what changes were made to the CPU.

My understanding is HW4 cars can not get FSD and don't have the Vision Parking Assist yet. So if you have red tint cameras and don't have parking assist visualizations/measurements and can't enable FSD then I guess that is "HW4" but who knows what that really entails??

We really don't know what "HW4" really means. We know the cameras are updated, we know that S/X have radar (not active). we know MY doesn't have radar (so far). We don't know what changes were made to the CPU.

My understanding is HW4 cars can not get FSD and don't have the Vision Parking Assist yet. So if you have red tint cameras and don't have parking assist visualizations/measurements and can't enable FSD then I guess that is "HW4" but who knows what that really entails??
Do we really Know the cameras are updated or that they are a new supplier? Does seem like there are a few HW4 posters in the FSD forum that are using and testing FSD so not sure on that either.

Do we really Know the cameras are updated or that they are a new supplier? Does seem like there are a few HW4 posters in the FSD forum that are using and testing FSD so not sure on that either.
I think it is fairly certain the cameras are updated. Dirty Tesla showed the different feeds between his HW3 cars and a MS HW4 which has the red tint camera. There were some very informative comments explaining the differences between the cameras and why now the colors look more normal in the final image captured and explains the red tint we see when looking at the lens.

I quote one of them here:
"The difference between the color representation is due to RCCB being ditched and instead having RGGB sensors. So now two green channels and instead having two clear ones.RCCB gives you a better contrast resolution than RGGB sensors, despite a smaller number of pixels. That's why they now had to increased the resolution while switching to RGGB sensors.Don't get me wrong, the actual details available from the new camera sensors are still better, but the difference is much smaller than the simple mega pixel number comparison may appear to show.The other difference, optically visible by the red glow is due to the IR filter beeing used. The RCCB sensors usually don't have an IT filter, to allow more (non visible) light to hit the sensor, to give a brighter image. But if you care about a visually pleasing image representing what the human eye can see, you need to block IR by having a filter in front of the camera sensor.As this filter blocks IR the blocked lights is reflected, and since it's also blocking a small amount of reddish light, the lens appears red to the human eye."

DirtyTesla said FSD wasn't available yet on the MS with HW4...but maybe that has changed.