Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bent Rim / Busted tired club. Add me to the list

Mike Hawk

Jan 8, 2019
Tulsa Oklahoma
:mad::mad::mad:

Going ~25mph in a construction zone and hit a part of the street they had cut out but back-filled with gravel temporarily. Hit the edge of the cut pretty hard.

1 tire bubbled sidewall, still held pressure.
1 tire gashed sidewall, instant loss of pressure.
11680944508899007627.jpg

Both rims had slight cosmetic bends to the outer lip. They still held pressure but knowing me once I saw the damage I couldn't un-see it.

Rim 1
66540818585316967152.jpg

Rim 2
65136678242667725965.jpg

If I had known the rims were bent I would have probably just upgraded to 19" forged wheels for my P3D+. However I didn't find out about the wobble until the replacement tires were getting mounted (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Ultra High Performance All-Seasons).

Right now the wheels are getting fixed and minus whale get them powder coated a dark metallic gray / gunmetal. ~$125 a rim, not too bad I suppose.

Pics to follow once I get the wheels back. We're also filing a tort claim against the city to see if we can get some $ back but I highly doubt it. Unfortunately dashcam vid had been overwritten by the time I got to the USB drive and the wife hadn't saved the moment :(

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Tessaract

Aug 12, 2019
Ottawa
:mad::mad::mad:

Going ~25mph in a construction zone and hit a part of the street they had cut out but back-filled with gravel temporarily. Hit the edge of the cut pretty hard.

1 tire bubbled sidewall, still held pressure.
1 tire gashed sidewall, instant loss of pressure.

Right now the wheels are getting fixed and minus whale get them powder coated a dark metallic gray / gunmetal. ~$125 a rim, not too bad I suppose.

Pics to follow once I get the wheels back. We're also filing a tort claim against the city to see if we can get some $ back but I highly doubt it. Unfortunately dashcam vid had been overwritten by the time I got to the USB drive and the wife hadn't saved the moment :(

I feel your pain. My city has, I believe, never been successfully sued for tire/rim damage, because the city's written standard of roadworthiness is gross enough to allow 2" tire-killing lips on potholes and construction cuts.:( And we have many potholes in the spring after the many winter freeze/thaw temperature cycles.

BTW: is "minus whale" a southern language peculiarity?

Mike Hawk

Jan 8, 2019
Tulsa Oklahoma
Thanks, I forgot to include the details, lol.

Place was called Wheel Fixer. The base is Toyota Gray Metallic, topped with a gloss powder coat. I can get the paint code if anyone wants it.

They corrected the bends, repainted them, mounted and balanced for $125 per rim.

Reactions: Skione65 and VT_EE

Skione65

May 5, 2016
Kentucky

Place was called Wheel Fixer. The base is Toyota Gray Metallic, topped with a gloss powder coat. I can get the paint code if anyone wants it.

They corrected the bends, repainted them, mounted and balanced for $125 per rim.

Im interested in the paint code. Looks Stellar!

Ski

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC