Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beside myself with saddness!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived with my daughter at the Costco parking lot, and as I waited for the traffic to clear in front of me (car getting out of spot and another car going in) I hear a crunch and the car jumps forward about 5 feet (all captured on my Blackvue 650). The driver of the offending vehicle (Audi Q7) exited his car and immediately began apologizing. No one was hurt, however, as a grown man, I wanted to cry in pain with the thought of what I was about to see.Left rear quarter crunched right at the curve to the rear, bumper scraped pretty go. Sensors seem to be fine. Can is functional with no apparent issues.

Has anyone else had to deal with with a significant surgical procedure on their Tesla? What can I expect? I began looking for a certified Tesla repair shop and located on not far from my house. Filed a report with my insurance company (the other driver has the same insurance provider), and I hope to hear back from them on Monday.

Let me know your thoughts on what to expect.

Thanks for listening/reading. I need another drink now!
IMG_0308.jpg

Reactions: boaterva
Regarding the repair itself...
Sataponw correctly foreshadows that it can be a long time to get parts. Not much you can do about that most likely.

Regarding the cost of the repair...
I know that the driver's insurer is also your insurer. Let's pretend for now that it is not.

You tell them of the accident and give them a reasonable chance to inspect your car. They can come to you.

Then you get it repaired and hand them the bill.

They are to pay it or reimburse you.

You are not required to allow them to participate in the actual repair. Because they will try to substitute after market parts (less of a fear with a Tesla so far, but still). Alternatively, they may try to tell the shop that the shop doesn't need to to this and doesn't need to fix that, to save themselves money. And shops expect to deal with the insurer, but that screws things up. If an item was damaged by the accident, you are entitled to have it repaired. And you are entitled to make the decisions on what you will let go, not the carrier of the guy who hit you.

If you turn it into your own carrier, there will be limits on your rights with respect to a rental car and your own carrier won't pay your deductible. I recommend dealing with the insurer of the guy who hit you.

Insurers who are both may pretend that they don't understand that. Don't get sucked into that.

When my S was about 3 months old I took her on a road trip. At a stop sign 1000 miles from home a large cargo van backed into my rear door and right rear quarter panel. Its amazing how much worse damage looks on such a beautiful car. Long story short, I insisted on a high-end rental, it took three long weeks and when I picked it up it was perfect. It was a bad day and a little inconvenient but it hasn't changed my enjoyment of Beyoncé whatsoever.

We had two people - a week apart rear end us - while we were stopped waiting at a light (think it was in 2014).

The body shop recommended by Tesla here charges a premium for Tesla cars - and it took quite a while for Tesla to provide the replacement parts (primarily the rear bumper).

Had to drive an ICE for a couple of months, waiting for the parts.

Biggest challenge by the body shop was trying to match Tesla's silver paint - they got pretty close.

Sorry to see this happen and also glad that the car kept everyone safe (Q7's are big!).

Based on the limited perspective of the original photo, the quarter panel most likely needs to be replaced. It is a good idea to ask the shop you choose to let you keep driving it if they don't have access to parts immediately, but also keep in mind that no one knows exactly what's damaged without disassembling the impacted area. With that said, an experienced Tesla shop should have a good idea of what parts will be required.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiskySTL
OK. I wan't going to mention this, because I don't want to set an unreasonable level of expectation. But about a week after I bought the car -- 6 days actually -- someone backed into my front facia. Left a bumper imprint on the front of my car. Then, about a week later, I was washing the car, and stupidly used the scour side of a sponge pad on a stubborn bug on my hood. Left real scratches. :-(

I took the car in to have a couple things done that remained to be done the day I got the car. While it was in, Tesla completely restored my front bumper no charge and tried to buff out the scratches on my hood (noticeable improvement but still there.)

These had NOTHING to do with the reasons I brought the car back to them. But I think they deserve a mention. Thanks, guys.

That looks disgustingly similar to what happened to my car on Monday. Only it was a semi truck that rear ended me at a bout 15 mph. Unfortunately the driver is trying to claim that I merged onto the freeway into him, which is not true in the slightest. Insurance is now saying that its a word against word issue, and I haven't even begun my repair shop search yet. Not looking forward to this process at all. :(

Attachments

• IMG_9873.jpeg
    IMG_9873.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: ModelX
That looks disgustingly similar to what happened to my car on Monday. Only it was a semi truck that rear ended me at a bout 15 mph. Unfortunately the driver is trying to claim that I merged onto the freeway into him, which is not true in the slightest. Insurance is now saying that its a word against word issue, and I haven't even begun my repair shop search yet. Not looking forward to this process at all. :(
This is why you have a dash cam.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Wow, the similarities are striking. I too, was in Costco parking lot and hit on the exact same corner. Here is my thread about it.

Long story short, you're looking at a new rear quarter panel, new bumper, new triangle window, all new chrome pieces around the windows and emblems on the back, repaint and blend the rear driver's side door. Probably around $11-12k.

Make sure you go after diminished value.