Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, had them installed last Thursday. Can’t tell any difference in noise fro the OEM Goodyears that came on the car. Ride and handling seems fine. What has “shocked”me is the huge difference, so far, in the wh/mi.That has gone from 303 for the first 40,000 miles, to 339 after the first 1000 miles on the Quiet Tracks. Normally, I can make the trip from my house to Nashville on a single charge. Definitely was unable to do that over the weekend. Gonna continue to monitor it for a few more days. If that continues to hold, I’m planning to go back to Costco to discuss switching to Michelin’s. No idea if they do that.

Thanks for the feedback, the Michelin sale ends tomorrow ($140+ savings) and I need new tires in the next few months and don't want to risk waiting around for another sale. I think I am going to stick with the MXM4 that i currently have on the car for my next set.

Curious if you have any efficiency with the QuietTracks? My local Costco just got them in stock and was considering purchasing but efficiency is a factor for me. TIA for info

Did you get any feedback regarding your efficiency question? I just installed Quiet Track's on my 2018 MS 100D last week. The one major difference I'm seeing so far is efficiency! The OEM Goodyear's that came on the car used an average of 303 wh/mile over the first 40,000 miles. So far, these Quiet Tracks are averaging 339 wh/mile! That's a huge difference, especially when I'm on a road trip - extra charging stops.

Did you get the Quiet Tracks? If so, what's your experience so far? I'm disappointed enough that I'm considering going back to Costco to discuss replacing them!

How many miles did you get out of the MXM4's? Anything you didn't like about them?

On an EV tires wear a more if you're doing a lot of regen braking. If you're doing a lot of open highway miles the tires will last longer.

So, the wh/mile could go down as the tires age??

Generally it does, a combination of less rolling resistance as the tread wears and the tires get a little smaller in diameter so the car's calculation of a mile will go down a little. The car calculates a mile based on the number of rotations of the tire and as they wear, they need more rotations per mile, but because the car doesn't compensate for this, it counts the same number of rotations as a mile.

Years ago I worked for King County Metro (Seattle) in the office that did real time tracking of the buses. They built the system just before GPS became available for this sort of use, so they needed to come up with an array of antennas spread out around the metro area that ping buses for their odometer readings as they go by an extrapolate where the bus is. They had to build into the system an algorithm for tire wear because the bus odometers would drift from true by enough as the tires wore that it would really mess up the calculations.

I hope in the time since they updated the system to use GPS. That makes it far simpler and doesn't make the system go crazy when a bus has to go off route.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
A vote for Bridgestone here!

Most Tesla's in Australia come with the Michelin Primacy 3 so I was nervous to switch away from them after 2 sets since new. Bridgestones are cheaper (3 for 4 deals) but I feared they would be louder and harsher. The opposite! They seem quieter (Primacy's are already very highly rated as quiet on Teslas) but even if I'm wrong, they are at least as quiet. The ride feels the same.

The handling is significantly better. The Michelins were solid, but in comparison they feel dead. The S007As feel lively and quick to respond to minor inputs. It's like the Michelins had a large null (dead) zone at centre. The road feedback is much better - driving on Melbourne's tram tracks actually feels different with the Bridgestones.

Corner turn-in is sharper. Slides don't last as long (the Bridgestones bite sooner). On launch, the Bridgestones slip about 25% less and launch sooner. In the wet with some lock on the Bridgestones hold a little longer before letting go. They also grab traction again sooner than the Primacy's did in the same corners.

Overall, the Bridgestone S007As hold traction a bit longer and when they do lose grip they find it again sooner than the Michelin Primacy 3's, and with no loss of ride quality or noise increase. I assume they will wear faster but I'll just keep buying them '4th tyre free'. Wh/km (range) is still the same but it's only been a couple of weeks. Don't really care - why is everyone obsessed with range anyway? Arrive home with 15% instead of 21% battery - who cares.

I haven't tried the Michelin equivalent (Pilot Sports) and assume they too would handle much better than the Primacy 3/Primacy 4.

A vote for Bridgestone here!

Most Tesla's in Australia come with the Michelin Primacy 3 so I was nervous to switch away from them after 2 sets since new. Bridgestones are cheaper (3 for 4 deals) but I feared they would be louder and harsher. The opposite! They seem quieter (Primacy's are already very highly rated as quiet on Teslas) but even if I'm wrong, they are at least as quiet. The ride feels the same.

The handling is significantly better. The Michelins were solid, but in comparison they feel dead. The S007As feel lively and quick to respond to minor inputs. It's like the Michelins had a large null (dead) zone at centre. The road feedback is much better - driving on Melbourne's tram tracks actually feels different with the Bridgestones.

Corner turn-in is sharper. Slides don't last as long (the Bridgestones bite sooner). On launch, the Bridgestones slip about 25% less and launch sooner. In the wet with some lock on the Bridgestones hold a little longer before letting go. They also grab traction again sooner than the Primacy's did in the same corners.

Overall, the Bridgestone S007As hold traction a bit longer and when they do lose grip they find it again sooner than the Michelin Primacy 3's, and with no loss of ride quality or noise increase. I assume they will wear faster but I'll just keep buying them '4th tyre free'. Wh/km (range) is still the same but it's only been a couple of weeks. Don't really care - why is everyone obsessed with range anyway? Arrive home with 15% instead of 21% battery - who cares.

I haven't tried the Michelin equivalent (Pilot Sports) and assume they too would handle much better than the Primacy 3/Primacy 4.

I replaced the OEM Goodyears on my 2018 MS 100D in April. I’ve only purchased Michelin tires for many years, but I decided to try the Bridgestone QuietTracks because of the great reviews I had seen. Over 42,000 miles I had averaged 303 wh/mi with the Goodyears. After 2,000 miles I was averaging 339 wh/mile with the Bridgestones! I noticed the increase immediately and tried varying my driving to get that number down, but no success. I went back to Costco to express my disappointment and they offered to give me full credit for the Bridgestones and choose a replacement. I chose Michelin Energy tires. After 1,000 miles I’m averaging 262 wh/mi so far. That’s a huge difference! I’m not making a comparison as to other qualities of the tires, but I’m very happy so far.

I replaced the OEM Goodyears on my 2018 MS 100D in April. I’ve only purchased Michelin tires for many years, but I decided to try the Bridgestone QuietTracks because of the great reviews I had seen. Over 42,000 miles I had averaged 303 wh/mi with the Goodyears. After 2,000 miles I was averaging 339 wh/mile with the Bridgestones! I noticed the increase immediately and tried varying my driving to get that number down, but no success. I went back to Costco to express my disappointment and they offered to give me full credit for the Bridgestones and choose a replacement. I chose Michelin Energy tires. After 1,000 miles I’m averaging 262 wh/mi so far. That’s a huge difference! I’m not making a comparison as to other qualities of the tires, but I’m very happy so far.

Cool. I do suspect my wh/km will be worse with the Bridgestones, but keep in mind I've got the performance S007As, not the quiettracks (Turanzas) which are more touring.

I just think a small reduction in efficiency (many of us old school owners don't ever pay for electricity) is worth making the MS feel more nimble like a M3.

Are Michelin Energy tires rated for electric vehicles?

Are Michelin Energy tires rated for electric vehicles?

There is nothing special about a tire that makes it appropriate or "rated" for an electric vehicle, other than the load rating for a vehicles' mass.

Are these the tires you are referring to?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all=Blackwall&partnum=445VR9MXV4ES8&tab=Sizes

Yes, they are the right size for the model S and they have a load rating of 98, the same as the MXM4's (or the Goodyear Touring) so you could try them. I can't easily see any rolling resistance reports on Tirerack, and I would wager they wouldn't be much better than another high end Michelin Touring tire. Usually when you see words like "energy" it is more about the marketing side of things than a remarkably better green footprint. Any revolutionary technology in compounds or construction that yields tremendous improvements in energy savings yet still provides the same comfort and grip would be transferred to all of the tires in the manufacturers fleet to sell all tires for all vehicles. Also, they wouldn't just produce one tire and label it "energy" for electric vehicles as there are many people driving ICE's would would also like to save gas money.

Further the ratings don't look quite as good as the MXM4's, but hey there is only one way to find out for sure; buy them and let us know.

I just picked up a set of these mono-block forged wheels for my Model S (after waiting 11months and running the group buy for the Model 3) and decided with go with the 245/45/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +. I have a one year old set of the same 245/45/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + on my old stock wheels, but I decide to keep these for backup for my wife's Model S, once she wears the Michelin Primacy MXM4's off her current wheels.

I'm dropping ~ 10 lbs per corner with the new wheels, and moving from the same tire, so I should be able to provide some feedback on the benefits of the lower wheel weight (if any). Also got $150* off four so I came in under $1K for new rubber, including install costs.

Tire Specs Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Costco Item #:
Mfg Item #: 14541
Tire Size: 245/45ZR19 98Y
Season: All-Season
Sidewall Treatment: Black Sidewall
Load Index: 98
Speed Rating: Y
Measuring Rim Width: 8 in
Overall Diameter: 27.7 in
Temperature Resistance: A
Tire Traction: AA
Tread Depth: 10 (in 32nds)
Revolutions Per Mile: 751
Run Flat: N
Maximum Load: 1653@51psi lbs
Michelin-LogoIcon.png

Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+
Item #1059522
The Pilot® Sport A/S 3+ is Michelin’s ultimate Ultra High Performance All-Season tire combining summer levels of wet and dry grip with cold weather and snow mobility.

Tire Benefits
  • Dominate summer with more dry grip than a leading competitive max performance summer tire.*
  • Control the moment with the shortest braking - wet or dry - of leading competitive all-season UHP tires.**
  • Shrug off winter with 28% better snow traction than the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport A/S 3.***
Tire Features
  • Corner with exacting control. Our Variable Contact Patch 3.0 spreads cornering pressures evenly over the contact patch for more grip and control, plus long-lasting tires.
  • You're in control, even when the weather is trying to take over. Our groundbreaking Extreme Silica+ compound stays grippy when wet, while large rain grooves and 3-D sipes help prevent hydroplaning.
  • A little ice or snow won't slow you down, thanks to advanced Helio+ Technology™ that's built to stick even in the cold. Plus, hidden Biting Edges grab loose snow for fast starts and stops.
Notes :
  • * Based on internal dry braking tests from 60 mph versus the Continental® ExtremeContact™ DW tire size 225/45ZR17, using a 2015 BMW 328i. Actual on-road results may vary.
  • ** Based on internal braking tests from 50 mph (wet braking) and 60 mph (dry braking) versus the Bridgestone® Potenza™ RE970AS Pole Position™, Continental® ExtremeContact™ DWS06, Pirelli® P ZERO™ ALL SEASON Plus, Goodyear® Eagle® F1 Asymmetric All-Season, Hankook ventus S1 noble2, and Yokohama® ADVAN Sport® A/S in tire size 225/45ZR17, using a 2015 BMW 328i. Actual on-road results may vary.
  • *** Based on third-party snow traction tests using ASTM Test Method F1805-12 in tire size 215/45ZR18 93Y. Actual on-road results may vary..

*Save up to $150 Instantly on any set of four [4] Michelin tires with Installation (save $110 when you spend up to $699 or save $150 when you spend above $700).

Valid 05/20/20 – 06/14/20

*On pre-tax tire purchase only (cost of installation does not count toward spend). Not all makes, models and sizes available. Available at Costco locations with a tire center; installation by Costco required. Wheels not included.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciaopec
I. I have a one year old set of the same 245/45/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S + on my old stock wheels, but I decide to keep these for backup for my wife's Model S, once she wears the Michelin Primacy MXM4's off her current wheels.

Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

On my third set of these tires and could not be happier. They're usually on sale at Costco about twice per year. Just checked: through 6/14 you can grab a set at Costco for $150 off. Currently $230/tire.

Just put all this in and realized I had not read Xenoilphobe's entire (fine print) message. I have said essentially the same thing. Sorry.