Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best 19 tires replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's annoying... After reading through this thread for the second time, I had determined that the P7 would be my pick to replace the OEM Goodyear's this fall when I swap out the 21's. After reading everyone else's low mileage numbers, I'm happy with the 40,000+ miles we put on ours though.

With the 75D, range is an issue during our "winter" (40°-50° and windy). For those that are running the Conti PureContact LS how's your efficiency?

Do you drive more highway than local? I've noticed people who do a lot of highway driving get more miles out of their tires than those who do more in town driving.

I've read on a few forums the P7 II is not LRR like the original, and therefore efficiency takes a noticeable hit. Their efficiency and quietness were their killer apps. With efficiency now down on the new P7, I'd just go with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Here are a few threads mentioning the new P7s:

Anyone try out the new Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II tires on their Tesla? Hopeful these rate well and I can replace my OEM tires when it's time : TeslaLounge

Model 3 Replacement Tire Discussion (OEM sizes only) - Tesla Owners Online

I am only a sample size of one, but I'm not really seeing much of an efficiency hit from my P7 Plus II set after close to 3000 miles on them. Granted it's not a strict apples to apples comparison since I went from 19s to 20s but there you go.

Screenshot_20200825-214848.png

• Informative
Reactions: beatle
That is also a good benchmark. Were your new tires all driven in the warmer months though? My consumption swings about 10% between summer and winter.

From what I understand, the P7's achilles' heel was its performance in the wet. That was allegedly addressed with the II revision.

According to Tire Rack's site, the new tire is still branded with Pirelli's EcoImpact designation, but the picture of the tire does not show that on the sidewall like it does on the first gen tire.

The first gen is no longer available in 245/45R19, but the 245/40R20 is available, and the newer tire is 2 pounds heavier in that size than its predecessor.

I am only a sample size of one, but I'm not really seeing much of an efficiency hit from my P7 Plus II set after close to 3000 miles on them. Granted it's not a strict apples to apples comparison since I went from 19s to 20s but there you go.

View attachment 580776

And the first few thousand km/miles are always the least efficient, so it will get better.

And those two posts above may be from the same dude. I don't care which consumer good you purchase; there is always at least a couple samples out of every thousand that have production issues and maybe shouldn't have passed QC. Tires are not exempt from this.

Going from 19 to 20 makes your particular sample information even more promising.

• Informative
Reactions: Tezzie
Can confirm there is no "Eco" designation of any kind on the P7 II sidewall. I will have to satisfy my inner conservationist with the hope that these tires will last a lot longer and need less replacing, if the 70,000 mile tread life warranty is to be believed =)

Since I live in Southern CA, I don't have much climate performance data to share besides "warm and dry". The biggest consumption swings I have come on a daily basis -- I average 400 Wh/mi going 75-85 mph on my morning commute (no traffic) and 275 Wh/mi doing the same route (in moderate traffic) in reverse going home.

To dark cloud's point, I have noticed improved efficiency over time. As for the 19-->20 switch, I also dropped 8 lbs per corner with the new larger wheels, so that may have some impact as well (?).

Happy to answer any other questions.

Last edited:
Do you drive more highway than local? I've noticed people who do a lot of highway driving get more miles out of their tires than those who do more in town driving.
Yes, other than my 10 mile commute (2 miles highway) over 80% is highway driving. To be fair though, pre-Covid freeway and city driving were similar. :(

View attachment 580776
Interesting. I'm glad you posted that. Your Wh/mi on the P7 II are what I'm seeing with my Arachnid/Michelin combo. My pipe dream of avoiding tire/rim swaps twice a year by ultimately replacing the summer performance tires with all seasons isn't going to work. (from a non-summer road trip standpoint)

Can confirm there is no "Eco" designation of any kind on the P7 II sidewall. I will have to satisfy my inner conservationist with the hope that these tires will last a lot longer and need less replacing, if the 70,000 mile tread life warranty is to be believed =)

Since I live in Southern CA, I don't have much climate performance data to share besides "warm and dry". The biggest consumption swings I have come on a daily basis -- I average 400 Wh/mi going 75-85 mph on my morning commute (no traffic) and 275 Wh/mi doing the same route (in moderate traffic) in reverse going home.

To dark cloud's point, I have noticed improved efficiency over time. As for the 19-->20 switch, I also dropped 8 lbs per corner with the new larger wheels, so that may have some impact as well (?).

Happy to answer any other questions.
Too many "opportunities" lately to receive tickets around here to exceed 70 very often. At 70 mph you're seeing over 300 Wh/mi with the P7 II, correct?

SoCal "moderate traffic" = gridlock in the rest of the world. ;)

• Funny
I have about 5000 miles on the Continental PureContact LS. I am getting about 315wh/mile. With the Goodyear... I got about 309wh/mile. My car is the S90D. It is quieter and grippier than the Goodyear.
Thank you for your response. We travel year around and seeing what Wh/mi fellow TMC members average with the different tire options is very helpful.

Per my earlier review and others have posted, the Goodyear OEM tires don't last -- piss poor tread life (less than 20k miles). Still on Pirelli Cinturato P7s for the past year, and I anticipate over 50k miles. :)

100% agree--my OEM Goodyears are completely BALD after 14.5K miles. I keep my suspension set on high because I never rarely drive freeways, but I do live up a wind-y hilly road. My Prius tires last at least 30K miles, and they are ijust as safe but less expensive tires.

I'm taking my car in for the Pirelli Cinturato P7s next week.

LOL Costco told me they will not replace tires on a Tesla!

That's strange. I don't know if it's a new policy company-wide or just your Costco. I replaced my tires there just about the time the Model 3 was hitting the market and they said they do a few cars a week.

OMG! The OEM Goodyears on my Model S 100d are BALD after 2 years (14.5K miles)! I always have my suspension set at high because I don't do much freeway driving, but I do live up a windy hilly road.The tires on my Prius usually last at least 30K!
What gives?

My OEM Goodyears were getting close at 15K and when I got a chunk of metal in a tire I decided to replace them a bit early. I've put more than that on my Michelin MXM4s and they still have plenty of tread left, so the Goodyears did wear much faster than they should.

There are several factors that contribute to faster tire wear with Teslas. People who like to accelerate hard will see really fast wear, but I'm pretty gentle most of the time. People who mostly drive open highway see a lot slower wear than people who mostly drive in the city with a lot of regen braking. The Prius has regen braking too, but the battery is much smaller and the regen is much less than Tesla's somewhat aggressive regen.

If you drive a lot of curvy roads that will probably contribute to tire wear too. Throwing a 4500 lb car around curves puts a lot of side ot side forces on the tires and the friction between the road and tire is the primary absorption of that force.

I have my suspension set to rise at places I go to often, but I usually let it go down to normal while driving around town. Having the car lower does make for a smoother ride.

• Informative