Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bang for Buck Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW quickest I'm aware of is one guy on Dragy in AU that managed a 1-foot-rollout 2.98... ... next after him looks like a 3.02, and the next 3 guys are all 3.04.

So 3.0 seems a lot more fair description of the current state of the P than 2.9... still quicker than Tesla lists though.

Yep and it took lots of tries before Brooks from Dragtimes was able to hit the 2.998 he reported in a video last month. So I wouldn't really say its a "2.9" second car just yet. It's right at 3.0x consistently for the majority of the best times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightshade
Yep and it took lots of tries before Brooks from Dragtimes was able to hit the 2.998 he reported in a video last month. So I wouldn't really say its a "2.9" second car just yet. It's right at 3.0x consistently for the majority of the best times.

It is interesting the wikipedia already has the M3P+ list at 2.99 sec. The M3P+ is in very nice company according to this list. I wish it had the top end power to hang in the 1/4 mile though. See the 1/4 mile list below the 0-60 list.

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia

It is interesting the wikipedia already has the M3P+ list at 2.99 sec. The M3P+ is in very nice company according to this list. I wish it had the top end power to hang in the 1/4 mile though. See the 1/4 mile list below the 0-60 list.

Just wanna take a second to acknowledge how amazing the GT-R is... it's a 12 year old platform at this point that was near world beating when it came out (especially for the money) and even today on the same platform is still near the top of the pile (still in the top 10 if you remove tiny-limited-production stuff)

It's embarrassingly quicker than anything else to come out of any Asian car maker other than the 2nd gen NSX (which costs 50% more and is still slightly slower... and after that I think #2 would be what, the Lexus LF-A? Which was $400,000 and barely got below 4 seconds 0-60 in mag testing).... and the current GT-R is still quicker than anything Tesla makes that isn't a P100D.

Be really interested to see what Nissan does with a next-gen version of the car given it's rumored to be at least partially electric.

Just wanna take a second to acknowledge how amazing the GT-R is... it's a 12 year old platform at this point that was near world beating when it came out (especially for the money) and even today on the same platform is still near the top of the pile (still in the top 10 if you remove tiny-limited-production stuff)

It's embarrassingly quicker than anything else to come out of any Asian car maker other than the 2nd gen NSX (which costs 50% more and is still slightly slower... and after that I think #2 would be what, the Lexus LF-A? Which was $400,000 and barely got below 4 seconds 0-60 in mag testing).... and the current GT-R is still quicker than anything Tesla makes that isn't a P100D.

Be really interested to see what Nissan does with a next-gen version of the car given it's rumored to be at least partially electric.

Agreed, which is why the GT-R got the nickname, "Godzilla". :)

I agree with you about the top end. On that note, I ran into what looked like a 2019 M5 (maybe Competition?) the other day who wanted to play. I'm an AWD+ and I was at 45% SoC but went ahead and had some fun. I floored it from a stop while he was slowing down from behind and he passed me once he got rolling up high. I'd imagine it would be the same story against a P3 with a bit more distance. Side by side was also no competition. I'd love to see a Ludicrous 3 that can dip into the high 10's and hold it's own against cars like these which cost about twice as much more or less.

Here's a vid of it from the Teslacam:

Last edited:
I agree with you about the top end. On that note, I ran into what looked like a 2019 M5 (maybe Competition?) the other day who wanted to play. I'm an AWD+ and I was at 45% SoC but went ahead and had some fun. I floored it from a stop while he was slowing down from behind and he passed me once he got rolling up high. I'd imagine it would be the same story against a P3 with a bit more distance. Side by side was also no competition. I'd love to see a Ludicrous 3 that can dip into the high 10's and hold it's own against cars like these which cost about twice as much more or less.

Here's a vid of it from the Teslacam:

Yep, very few cars can hang with the Model 3 down low. It is really the 1/8th mile/stoplight king for the most part but as you illustrate once you get to the higher speeds the lack of gearing enables those high horsepower vehicles to chase it down with authority. Granted most of the real world usage on the street is at the lower speeds but the Model 3 power delivery is noticeably disproportionate. The instant toque and lack of transmission enables us to initially leap/dart ahead very well but I am curious how the Porsche Tycan pulls at higher speeds with its 2-speed transmission.

Reactions: MagnusMako