Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bang for Buck Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was pretty set in ordering a Model 3 Performance but now with the latest acceleration upgrade, there isn't much performance difference

- Model 3 LR - $48,990 + $2,000 acceleration = $51,990 for 322 mile range and now 3.9 0-60
- Model 3 Performance - $56,990 for 310 mile range and 3.2 0-60

So what is going to be the best bang for the buck? Ordering the LR to save $5K and get an extra 12 mile range with the assumption that sooner or later, Tesla will probably unlock the full potential of the LR to match the Performance?

Or, do we see a Performance power upgrade coming soon as well?

So I was pretty set in ordering a Model 3 Performance but now with the latest acceleration upgrade, there isn't much performance difference

- Model 3 LR - $48,990 + $2,000 acceleration = $51,990 for 322 mile range and now 3.9 0-60
- Model 3 Performance - $56,990 for 310 mile range and 3.2 0-60

So what is going to be the best bang for the buck? Ordering the LR to save $5K and get an extra 12 mile range with the assumption that sooner or later, Tesla will probably unlock the full potential of the LR to match the Performance?

Or, do we see a Performance power upgrade coming soon as well?

If you think 3.9 sec vs 3.1 sec “isn’t much of a performance difference” then I’m not sure why you were looking at a performance trim in the first place. You should go with the cheapest and wait for the pay to play software update to decide if you want it or not.

If you think 3.9 sec vs 3.1 sec “isn’t much of a performance difference” then I’m not sure why you were looking at a performance trim in the first place. You should go with the cheapest and wait for the pay to play software update to decide if you want it or not.
The 3.9 is with no rollout. The 3.1 is with 1 foot rollout.
The Performance is 3.4 from a stop. Boost is 3.9 from a stop. Dual Motor is 4.4 from a stop.
Performance is 3.1 with rollout, Boost is 3.5 with rollout and Dual is 4.0 with rollout.

Need to compare apples to apples

At the moment, Stealth is the best bang for the buck. When I bought my car mid 2018, dual motor was. Stealth was ~$12k more at the time.

Or get stealth for 52k, loose 12 miles of range but gain .7 seconds 0-60.

Actually you gain range relative to the 2020 AWD if you get the 2020 Stealth. See the data in the link.

Get the Stealth if you can! @HardHitter To answer how you get it - it's off-menu, limited availability in batches. It's worth waiting for. It may only come with a black interior (not sure). Obviously there are huge threads here about acquiring one.

Last edited:
Actually you gain range relative to the AWD if you get the 2020 Stealth. See the data in the link.

Get the Stealth if you can! @HardHitter To answer how you get it - it's off-menu, limited availability in batches. It's worth waiting for. It may only come with a black interior (not sure). Obviously there are huge threads here about acquiring one.

So if you get a 2020 stealth, the range is 322 not 310 like the standard 2020 Performance? There are no differences from a HW perspective between a 2020 stealth and a 2020 performance?

So if you get a 2020 stealth, the range is 322 not 310 like the standard 2020 Performance? There are no differences from a HW perspective between a 2020 stealth and a 2020 performance?

The 2020 Performance 20" has 299 miles EPA rated range. Look at fueleconomy.gov

Fuel Economy of 2020 Electric Vehicles

Note that the 2020 Performance 18" has 322 miles rated range. However, it is derated, and actually gets better than that (see the link above in which I included screen captures of tables).

The 2020 Performance 18" (Stealth) can be thought of most simply as a 2020 AWD vehicle with a different rear motor and different programming. It's fairly far from a 2020 Performance 20" (with all the accoutrements, lowering, etc.). But it's a more appropriate vehicle for some people. And in recent history it has been $2k more than an AWD.

I encourage you to not focus on what the car's display (in rated miles) is supposed to say when new, but to focus on the EPA efficiency (MPGe) results. Subsequently you can track capacity loss over time (which you should definitely expect) relative to what the vehicle's total energy content was when new.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned get a stealth. Ive had mine for a month and love the car. Go to your store and ask your service advisor to pull inventory and see if tere are any. They need to keep an eye out for you if one is not currently available. Call them daily. Stock appears randomly.

No offense, but screw stealth :) In most of the avail colors, the Model 3 just looks so much more the business with the drop, the spoiler, the 20's, those larger rotors, and the red calipers, and of course it's always gravy to get aluminum pedals, and not to mention Track Mode. Sure, you can sub a lot of this with the aftermarket, but honestly....I wouldn't want to buy your modded car 2nd hand, sorry, and it'll cost as much if not more and be a hassle. :)

But I understand, for many folks, $5000 (plus tax plus interest, cuz I know most don't buy them cash) is not chump change.

Go for the Stealth, it is the best bang for the buck. The 0.39" lower not noticeable , 20" wheels with summer tires (not good for cold or city driving with all the potholes), spoiler you can get for $200, brakes are just fine, you do get Track Mode, who cares bout pedals...

Go for the Stealth, it is the best bang for the buck. The 0.39" lower not noticeable , 20" wheels with summer tires (not good for cold or city driving with all the potholes), spoiler you can get for $200, brakes are just fine, you do get Track Mode, who cares bout pedals...

pedals you can just buy for 20 bucks and they look really good and are actually somewhat functional (slightly better grip)

No offense, but screw stealth :) In most of the avail colors, the Model 3 just looks so much more the business with the drop, the spoiler, the 20's, those larger rotors, and the red calipers, and of course it's always gravy to get aluminum pedals, and not to mention Track Mode. Sure, you can sub a lot of this with the aftermarket, but honestly....I wouldn't want to buy your modded car 2nd hand, sorry, and it'll cost as much if not more and be a hassle. :)

But I understand, for many folks, $5000 (plus tax plus interest, cuz I know most don't buy them cash) is not chump change.
I paid cash for my stealth, canceling my P3D+ order not because of cost but because of the 20" wheels which do not have enough sidewall to prevent damage. In almost all cases these plus 1, plus 2 wheel options from OEMs reduce straight-line performance, are less efficient, often handle worse (given the same type of tire) and are way more easily damaged. It pisses me off that car manufacturers force you into these with higher trims. The big brakes are only useful if you track the car and it doesn't sounds like the lowering springs do much of anything. The spoiler also looks out of place to me. Plus not drawing attention to my car keeps the idiots at bay. So no-brainer for me.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
even though i have the performance pack i think its completely superfluous and a terrible value. any other variant of the dual motor cars are the sweetspot

If you want the performance brakes and performance tires then the P+ is worth the money. A big brake kit will cost you $3-4k and the Michelin PS4s are very good tires and will cost $1200-1400 for a set. The stealth P is great and includes Track mode but you will still want some real brakes and tires if you take it to the track so expect to pony up for those, otherwise you are just paying for the extra acceleration.

The M3P+ is a factory package. It could be better and I think mag-ride suspension and sportier front seats would really help differentiate the P+ trim but when a performance sedan can deliver supercar performance with 0-60mph in 3 sec and 1/4 mile in mid 11s then you usually want good brakes and tires to complement that level of performance.

I would not want the hassles associated with 20” tires. The stealth gives you all of the speed benefits of Performance without all of the other stuff which is nice on the track but not necessary at all for daily driving. Stealth is by far the best value out there. LR AWD with the $2K acceleration boost cost the same as the stealth for less performance. That just makes no sense.