Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My
Hi all,

Just had my Andersen fitted.
Will do a full review of the process at some point later.
Main thing is it doesn't look like a charger and it fits in much better than the 16A Commando plug next to it!

Baldrick
PS glad that people are still liking and using my Chargers Sheet
PPS Delivery of M3 LR FSD Black/Black on Wednesday (fingers very crossed as finance is still being sorted due to admin delays at Tesla)

View attachment 446618

Looks really good. Andersen install for me on Wednesday this week. Couple of questions.

1) Looks like no external wiring, did they wire it through from the internal wall?

2) For the smart element did they connect via Wi-fi or Ethernet? I recall a concern expressed a few weeks ago about them removing Wi-fi from the website which was subsequently corrected. Interested in your experience as I would certainly need it to be Wi-fi connected in our case.

Hi all,

Just had my Andersen fitted.
Will do a full review of the process at some point later.
Main thing is it doesn't look like a charger and it fits in much better than the 16A Commando plug next to it!

Baldrick
PS glad that people are still liking and using my Chargers Sheet
PPS Delivery of M3 LR FSD Black/Black on Wednesday (fingers very crossed as finance is still being sorted due to admin delays at Tesla)

View attachment 446618
That’s really neat for an exterior charger. Does the cable coil up inside or is it untethered?

Hi Guys - first post newbie here - have recently ordered a model 3 and have off street parking but live in a conservation area where the frontage is listed grade 2.

I am going for an untethered EO mini -
as here EO Residential Installation | Rapid Online

because I think it will hide nicely by the down pipes near my back door and the cable can then be a very short 3 metre run to the best parking position. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues - or has used the EO?

If I tried to install the Tesla unit here the cable would be jamming in buy the down pipes so it is not practical.

My

Looks really good. Andersen install for me on Wednesday this week. Couple of questions.

1) Looks like no external wiring, did they wire it through from the internal wall?

2) For the smart element did they connect via Wi-fi or Ethernet? I recall a concern expressed a few weeks ago about them removing Wi-fi from the website which was subsequently corrected. Interested in your experience as I would certainly need it to be Wi-fi connected in our case.

1) Wired straight through. It helped the Consumer unit was on the other side of the wall!

2) Wi-Fi. Installers had TP-Link Network Power Adaptors as a backup. At first the installers couldn't get it working on the network at all. (New Andersen units use Bluetooth to start the registration process, not an inbuilt Wi-Fi server like before). Required a followup visit by Lee from Andersen who fixed it and got it working. Once on WiFi it was a happy as Larry.
I get the impression they have had a few problems with poor quality WiFi, did get questions about my setup, once I pointed out the Long Range Uni-Fi AP within line of sight of the Andersen A2 questions stopped.

That’s really neat for an exterior charger. Does the cable coil up inside or is it untethered?

It rolls up inside. Even better, you don't have to unroll it all, it's safe to charge with just what you need unrolled and the rest rolled up.
The "door" on the front doesn't open. It "hovers" about 2cm proud of the unit with brushes in the gap to clean the cable as it is returned to the unit. The door on the top, for the connector, is lit from below inside the unit (some YouTube videos show what I suspect is an earlier setup with lights on/near the lid).

It rolls up inside. Even better, you don't have to unroll it all, it's safe to charge with just what you need unrolled and the rest rolled up.
The "door" on the front doesn't open. It "hovers" about 2cm proud of the unit with brushes in the gap to clean the cable as it is returned to the unit. The door on the top, for the connector, is lit from below inside the unit (some YouTube videos show what I suspect is an earlier setup with lights on/near the lid).
That sounds really snazzy. They’ve obviously worked on the industrial design, rather than the pretty boring Rolecs and Pod Points. Good luck to them.

Really keen on the Andersen but the website is quoting lead times of 12 weeks for any configuration with full payment up front. That's just nuts.

I can't wait 3 months to get an EV charger installed, no matter how nice it looks.

How long did you have to wait from ordering @Baldrick @interbear ?

Ordered my Andersen on June 18th and it’s being installed tomorrow August 28th.

So that’s 10 weeks. And it’s still arriving before my Model 3, which may, or may not, arrive sometime in September.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
Thanks. I'm just sorting out my second electrical connection to the house, haven't got a meter installed yet but from the sounds of it if I want this charger I'm going to need to order now. I'm currently reliant on public chargers and it's becoming quite a pain.

I keep in countering the challenge that in need my internal wires to go over a door. Which is over 1.8 meters, so they keep wanting to charge me more money for 2 people to come and do the job. Which is insane as the work can be carried out unassisted, or with a step.

It almost feels easy for me to install 90% of this myself. All i need them to do is commission the connection at each end. I could do the work in under an hour.

Hi Guys - first post newbie here - have recently ordered a model 3 and have off street parking but live in a conservation area where the frontage is listed grade 2.

I am going for an untethered EO mini -
as here EO Residential Installation | Rapid Online

because I think it will hide nicely by the down pipes near my back door and the cable can then be a very short 3 metre run to the best parking position. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues - or has used the EO?

If I tried to install the Tesla unit here the cable would be jamming in buy the down pipes so it is not practical.

Just a heads up that there has been issues with EO and the Model 3. My charger didn't work with the car, nor did the brand new replacement, so ended up with the Tesla unit.

I believe EO have now stated they've fixed the issue, but might be worth clarifying that before handing over any money.

Reactions: davidmc
Just a heads up that there has been issues with EO and the Model 3. My charger didn't work with the car, nor did the brand new replacement, so ended up with the Tesla unit.

I believe EO have now stated they've fixed the issue, but might be worth clarifying that before handing over any money.

Thanks for the heads up Dave

I will remember to ask -
there are a couple of other options that could just about fir in the narrow space - I actually would possibly get the Tesla charger if the charger connection was also possibly placed on the left not just the right side of the unit.

Just been quoted £447 to install 7Kw Type 2 tethered Rolec EVHS2140 /OLEV / GPRS Smart wall mounted electric vehicle charging point and installation of a MI Switch.

£1247 minus the £500 OLEV grant. I pay £747 then claim another £300 back from energy trust.

Sound about right?