Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mobile charging accessories to buy for UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had our 2015 Model S for about a month and enjoy the superchargers and have a type 2 cable that we also use with a Pod Point charger at work. We think we need a 240V mobile charger, but do we need to get the modification done and buy a CCS charger, or Chadmo (there don't seem to be many Chadmo chargers around).

1) What 240v charger do you recommend (the Tesla one is pricey and I heard limited to 10A)?
2) Is it worth getting a the commando 16v (or 32v) adapter for mobile use?
3) Is it worth getting the CCS conversion done?
4) Is it worth getting the Chadmo adapter?

I'm guessing you'll all say get the Tesla mobile charger and not bother with the rest?

Do you mean the Wall charger or the UMC that is usually provided with the car? Did you not get 1 with the car?

Also the UMC v2 can do 32amps with the 32amp commando adapter on it which is around 7kw.

3&4 not sure but I'm sure a helpful model s/X owner will help :)

Surprised your car didn't come with its UMC.

16a or 32a commando is, IMO, very useful if you aren't going to install a charge point at home for some reason. Fitting a commando socket is relatively easier and cheaper and I already had them anyway (NB there's a regs difference I believe for a socket to be used for EV charging). The increase in charging speed over 10a 3 pin makes a practical day to day difference to me because it means I pretty much always start the day full (ish). However, this is a temporary home solution for me until I install a proper charge point. And staying with friends and family is likely to be 3 pin of course.

The reason 3 pin is 10a is because the house wiring/socket etc isn't really designed for sustained 13a. I suspect therefore that this isn't tesla-specific and third party Mobile charging units will therefore also be 10a, but I've never looked into it.

Different folk's charging habits vary too. Sounds your work charge is the day to day norm. Do you have off street parking at home?

Re CCS, my 2019 Model S came with the adapter. I've used it about 3 times so far since August and on only one of those occasions did it make a significant difference to my day to do this over a supercharger. However, I'm pleased I have it. I expect to find it useful in the future. You would have to pay for adapter plus car modification on yours. You could hold off til you get to know the car, the charging network and your own habits, but if it were me I think I'd pay for one now, and not bother with Chademo on the basis that in the future I understand we expect CCS to be more common and anyway at most third party DC locations both are offered.

Last edited:
Thanks! I should have been clearer that I was asking about mobile charging. On the road as Tesla puts it.

Good to know CCS is the future not Chadmo, but if you haven’t used CCS much then maybe I’ll see how it goes with my own usage ... of course if I am ever going to do the mod then there’s no point waiting. How much does it cost? I read €500 somewhere including the cable but can’t find the price from Tesla UK.

Thanks! I should have been clearer that I was asking about mobile charging. On the road as Tesla puts it.

Good to know CCS is the future not Chadmo, but if you haven’t used CCS much then maybe I’ll see how it goes with my own usage ... of course if I am ever going to do the mod then there’s no point waiting. How much does it cost? I read €500 somewhere including the cable but can’t find the price from Tesla UK.

Accrding to

Model S CCS upgrade done (UK)

The CCS adapter and mod is £425.

A Chademo adapter is similar money I believe.

If your mobile connector is not for home, then the commando adapters will of course only be useful where there's a commando socket, which, although YMMV, I suspect will not be very often. However a mobile charger with 3-pin is a fall-back option I would want to have in the car.