Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best seating layout for camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Im thinking about selling my campervan, and getting a Model X as a replacement. Obviously it won't have a proper bed or kitchen, but Ive seen people put mattresses in the back of their Xs (Ss and 3s as well) to go camping in. There are even some some custom products that look pretty good.

My camper is pretty small anyway, so I won't be sacrificing much space, just the ability to stand up inside with the pop-top up.

I gather that the 6 seater layout is a no-no, because the second row can't fold down. Both the 5 and the 7 seater layout can fold the rear row(s) down, so should work with a mattress. My question is which one gives a flatter area on which to sleep on, and does the 5 seater offer any advantages over the 7 seater in terms of storage capacity (or any thing else).

Thanks for any advice

Cheers

Dan

I think it’s just as flat. You lose a storage bin similar to the back one that the third row sits in and folds into. They sell a separate cover for it. You don’t lose much. You also gain a larger AC compressor (which cools battery too) and a 3rd zone. Which is the main reason I got it over the 5 seater for my dogs that stay in the back. Some folks complain in the 5 seater that even the 2nd row can be weak on HVAC.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I think it’s just as flat. You lose a storage bin similar to the back one that the third row sits in and folds into. They sell a separate cover for it. You don’t lose much. You also gain a larger AC compressor (which cools battery too) and a 3rd zone. Which is the main reason I got it over the 5 seater for my dogs that stay in the back. Some folks complain in the 5 seater that even the 2nd row can be weak on HVAC.

Nice!

Does the 7 seater add anything to the resell value - is it one of those things people look out for?

Thanks

Nice!

Does the 7 seater add anything to the resell value - is it one of those things people look out for?

Thanks

I have no idea. I think 7 is probably the most common config people want though. Lots of folks love the 6 too but the none folding second row is a show stopper for many folks. It’s a massive space when folded down.

Don’t see the point in the 6 seat set up - too compromising.

Probably go for the 7 seats over the 5 seats then, even if we probably will use the 3rd row only once in a blue moon, if ever!

I have no idea. I think 7 is probably the most common config people want though. Lots of folks love the 6 too but the none folding second row is a show stopper for many folks. It’s a massive space when folded down.

I didn't know the 7 seater has a larger AC compressor. Thanks for that info.