Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best tire dressing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks guys, I'm also going to 2nd Day all of them so everyone will have a chance to use it this weekend...if the weather is cooperation in your neck of the woods!

I received the package Friday. Thanks.

I had my car in for service Saturday/Sunday and they put a treatment on the wheels when they washed it, so I'm going to wait until next week for a better test.

I received the package Friday. Thanks.

I had my car in for service Saturday/Sunday and they put a treatment on the wheels when they washed it, so I'm going to wait until next week for a better test.

You're welcome!

Be sure to get whatever dressing they applied off the tires before you put the SVRT on so you can see it perform all by itself, not interacting with another product. A good scrub with some all purpose cleaner will do the trick!

Thanks guys, I'm also going to 2nd Day all of them so everyone will have a chance to use it this weekend...if the weather is cooperation in your neck of the woods!
OK...It took a week for the weather to cooperate enough to apply Super VRT to my tires. I first scrubbed the tire walls with a stiff brush and plenty of soapy water to remove the previous product and road grime. I then applied a very thin coat of Super VRT. I was first surprised by the very pleasant cherry smell of the product. The Super VRT dried to a low gloss, satiny finish that was very pleasing. It did not wick onto the wheels at all. Later the same day I had to drive a short distance down a dirt/gravel road and got dust on the wheels and tires. I came home and just gently sprayed the wheels and tires with a garden hose and the tires looked as good as when I first applied the VRT. I cannot speak to the longevity of the product yet--maybe a future update--but for now I am very happy with the product.

I personally love the Black Magic Wet on my tires. I know there will be plenty here that will call it junk or otherwise but I find that it lasts quite a while on the tire along with providing UV protection. I also really like the glossy look over the matte look.

To prevent spitting, runs, drips, sling, etc. buy a tire shine applicator and spray with the shine on the applicator and then simply rub on.

Like this guy: (Detailers Choice 6270J Deluxe Tire Dressing Applicator-1 each : Amazon.com : Automotive)

Finally finally finally the weather has turned and I was able to wash my car and wheels and tires. My daughter stopped and took of my car it was so dazzling. Here's a close up of a tire. I only applied it to the tires and the rubber/plastic under the doors.
rypy9yju.jpg

To add yet more confusion to the mix -

the Scottsdale SvC mounted the battery guard to our P85 this week, and I was nicely surprised to receive back a car that had been really cleaned, and wheels rotated, and 5.9 installed. And a B-pillar squeak that I knew about but did not mention to them...they found that and eliminated it. Cannot beat that service!

So I asked them what they used to get its tires looking so spectacular. They use Eco Touch Tire Shine. I know nothing else about it, but it certainly looks terrific out of the SvC. Here's a link:

Water Based Tire Shine | Water Based Tire Dressing | Eco Touch

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I ordered some of the Super VRT and applied it over two weeks ago...tires still look great, even after a fishing trip down miles of dirt and gravel roads. I just hosed off the dust, and there was the silky shine again, instead of dull rubber. I really like this product. It goes on much cleaner than Sonax or Griots Tire Dressings, and has zero splatter. Very nice, it is my new go-to product for tires and for the black plastic trim on the bottom of the Tesla.

I will add that the sponge cube applicators included in the cleaning kit are fantastic...such a simple design, but the edges are great for getting the trim lines and tire lip perfectly, without getting product on wheels, paint or chrome.

What's your feeling about re-using a sponge? Clean it first or are they disposable?

Reviving the thread again. I know that at the moment there are less people using the tire dressings (since the weather is worse in the north and many expect snow soon), but I got those problems recently. See, I always wanted my tire dressing to stay on the tire as long as possible. I think this is a normal thing to think of. Well, I used Sonax tire gel. The gel was actually quite good, I had to re-apply it every two months or so (if the weather was good). And my tires looked good.
But one thing I noticed is that when I applied it, it was always slinging off a little bit. At first I thought that is ok and normal, but then I realized that this should not be happening. Maybe it was because I always applied 2 coatings which might have been too big (better to be safe than sorry, right?). Anyway, what happened was that the gel was often stuck on my rims. Since I did not pay attention to that… well it happened that in the end it was hard to remove it from the rims. Needless to say, when you try to clean it it does not go away, since it is really water resistant, as advertised. That can also be a bad thing I realized. The sling on the rims went off, but I also damaged the rims and had to remove them.
Since then I prefer to use Pinnacle Black Onyx tire dressing and I am much more satisfied with that. To be honest I found some great guides which explained what exactly happened; Silicone based dressing had oils in them that are hard to remove and that caused all the troubles. There are two ways of battling this; only application of water based dressings that lose the shine really fast or simply have a product that is made in a way it will not sling. There are some of them like that, for example Surf City Garage 104 or others, but with Pinnacle I am quite satisfied.

I use plain soap and water. Some dressings degrade the compounds (sorry, I have no idea which as there is no reliable information on this), and all dressings make the tires easier to cut.

After trying many tire dressings over the years, my favorite the last few years has become Tuf Shine. It's a zero-sling dressing for tires that lasts for weeks/months, not days or just between washes. It does not come off if you're rather anal like me and dry your rims and tires after washing. I've never liked a super glossy look to my tires, but just a hint more than matte works for me -- sort of like "eggshell" if you're familiar with interior paint finishes. You begin with a brush and the "one time" Tire Cleaner that removes any old dressings and crud from the tires, let them fully dry, then you apply the Tire Clearcoat with a firm applicator sponge. Let the first layer of clearcoat dry to a fairly matte appearance, then apply additional layers of the clearcoat to get an increasingly eggshell/semi-gloss appearance with each one you apply. My new MS tires received 2 coats during it's first detailing regime the day after I took delivery, and every few weeks or months, I'll do a quick single touch-up coat to freshen up the look.

This photo was taken a few minutes after I applied the 2nd layer of clearcoat -- it's a bit more matte after it dried than this may at first appear.
IMG_0887.jpg