Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

best tire, quiet tire, comfy tire. Continental, goodyear, bridgsetone, michelin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
accidentally posted this in the wrong forum earlier.. can't figure how to delete. meant to post here :)

Seems like every tire manufacturer claims to have a better designed tire for electric cars given the torque.
But which is best for tesla? I just go the & with the 19" and they are pretty loud and not that comfortable.

I'm shopping for new rims, figure I might upgrade the tires as well.

Continental ecocontact Vehicles with Electric Drive Need Special Tires

Michelin PIlot sport EV Michelin - The first MICHELIN Pilot Sport-family tire for electric sports cars

Goodyear Efficient Grip Goodyear introduces its next generation of EV tires

Bridgestone Turanza Bridgestone’s Turanza QuietTrack Tire Silences Electric Cars

Any others? I'm not tracking it, I want comfy, quiet and of course once in a while when i'm on a windy road some handling .

I'm looking at upgrading the shocks to the coil over from Ohlins as well to help soften the ride. But what's the best tire for all year sunny Los Angeles?

Help us out here. Get a set of each tire you listed, try them out, then let us know what you think!

Seriously, though, the only place I know of that attempts to make tire comparisons is TireRack. Of course, it's fraught with so many variables, as there's no way they can compare every possible tire size/wheel combo on every possible auto. There are just...too...many...variables.

The ONLY thing you can compare that isn't subjective is size and weight ratings. Quiet tires? You'll get opinions all over the place.

Sorry. I think the questions you're asking are impossible to answer. Anyone who says different is offering...an...opinion! A consensus of opinion just isn't going to happen.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
accidentally posted this in the wrong forum earlier.. can't figure how to delete. meant to post here :)

Seems like every tire manufacturer claims to have a better designed tire for electric cars given the torque.
But which is best for tesla? I just go the & with the 19" and they are pretty loud and not that comfortable.

I'm shopping for new rims, figure I might upgrade the tires as well.

Continental ecocontact Vehicles with Electric Drive Need Special Tires

Michelin PIlot sport EV Michelin - The first MICHELIN Pilot Sport-family tire for electric sports cars

Goodyear Efficient Grip Goodyear introduces its next generation of EV tires

Bridgestone Turanza Bridgestone’s Turanza QuietTrack Tire Silences Electric Cars

Any others? I'm not tracking it, I want comfy, quiet and of course once in a while when i'm on a windy road some handling .

I'm looking at upgrading the shocks to the coil over from Ohlins as well to help soften the ride. But what's the best tire for all year sunny Los Angeles?
I really like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. If you are a spirited driver you will like them. I do believe there is a slight range penalty for them. I would be curious to know how the Michelin Pilot Sport EV tire performs. With low rolling resistance I’m thinking they won’t handle as well as the 4S.

Help us out here. Get a set of each tire you listed, try them out, then let us know what you think!

Seriously, though, the only place I know of that attempts to make tire comparisons is TireRack. Of course, it's fraught with so many variables, as there's no way they can compare every possible tire size/wheel combo on every possible auto. There are just...too...many...variables.

The ONLY thing you can compare that isn't subjective is size and weight ratings. Quiet tires? You'll get opinions all over the place.

Sorry. I think the questions you're asking are impossible to answer. Anyone who says different is offering...an...opinion! A consensus of opinion just isn't going to happen.

The worst part about Tire Rack customer reviews is they are comparing to the old tires they just removed from the car. Most tires get noisier with age and wear, so their reviews are really skewed.

I have to put my vote out there for the Vredstein Quadtrac Pro. Very impressed with efficiency and improvments in ride quality and noise level on our Model 3 SR+. I know they are a 4 season tire so maybe some don't need the traction they can provide in weather but they are an upgrade to the Michelin's that came on the 3.
Treadwear is 500.

Arthur31: "Treadwear is 500." Got it. That's what Fredstein says. How many miles on yours, and what's the tread depth? Real world (at least, YOUR real world, somewhere in Pennsylvania) is probably more useful!

little over 1000 miles.
no noticeable wear ( i haven't measured) and these tires grip much better than the Michelins from a stop. Just drove 200 miles in heavy rain on the Interstate and they were superb.
For reference I have been a driving instructor and racer with NASA for 15+ years so I have plenty of feel for tires. These things are like a hidden gem.
Efficiency is as good to slightly better that OEM and ride is better.
They are definitely not a performance tire but they put the Michelins to shame in my opinion

little over 1000 miles.
no noticeable wear ( i haven't measured) and these tires grip much better than the Michelins from a stop. Just drove 200 miles in heavy rain on the Interstate and they were superb.
For reference I have been a driving instructor and racer with NASA for 15+ years so I have plenty of feel for tires. These things are like a hidden gem.
Efficiency is as good to slightly better that OEM and ride is better.
They are definitely not a performance tire but they put the Michelins to shame in my opinion
Really surprised as this is an "All Weather tire. This means it is rated for winter use and has the 3 snowflake logo on them. Usually All Weather are a compromise as it would definitely be impressive if a company can make a tire taht performs this well in "All" conditions. Will definitely put it on my investigate list though as it my be the perfect tire for those who also need snow tires.

Found this which says a lot regarding All Season tires. Long but informative.

Reactions: Arthur31
Really surprised as this is an "All Weather tire. This means it is rated for winter use and has the 3 snowflake logo on them. Usually All Weather are a compromise as it would definitely be impressive if a company can make a tire taht performs this well in "All" conditions. Will definitely put it on my investigate list though as it my be the perfect tire for those who also need snow tires.

Found this which says a lot regarding All Season tires. Long but informative.
I've been impressed with the Continental DWS-06 tires I've been running for close to 10 years on all my cars now.. In terms of dry/wet performance, they are very close to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS and AS/3 that I also have used. Snow was no contest. DWS hands down. I've never had to chain up to make it up our hill... We even went to the ski resort and I had to lend my chains to our friends that were following us, becuase they got stuck with the OEM tires on their Ford Explorer. Size will be a little off (255/45-20 vs 255/40-20) but I plan on running these on our Y when the time comes as well. I didn't want to hassle with summer/winter sets of tires, as we don't get enough snow to justify that, but it does get cold/damp for long enough, that I cannot only run a summer tire, as I've done that with an OEM set of summer rubber before...

I've run just about every tire in the Ultra-High Performance All Season category, and the DWS were the only ones that stand out. Good Year and Bridgestone entries were by far the worst.

Reactions: jsight
I've been impressed with the Continental DWS-06 tires I've been running for close to 10 years on all my cars now.. In terms of dry/wet performance, they are very close to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS and AS/3 that I also have used. Snow was no contest. DWS hands down. I've never had to chain up to make it up our hill... We even went to the ski resort and I had to lend my chains to our friends that were following us, becuase they got stuck with the OEM tires on their Ford Explorer. Size will be a little off (255/45-20 vs 255/40-20) but I plan on running these on our Y when the time comes as well. I didn't want to hassle with summer/winter sets of tires, as we don't get enough snow to justify that, but it does get cold/damp for long enough, that I cannot only run a summer tire, as I've done that with an OEM set of summer rubber before...

I've run just about every tire in the Ultra-High Performance All Season category, and the DWS were the only ones that stand out. Good Year and Bridgestone entries were by far the worst.
I have also been impressed with the Continental DWS-06. In fact I have these on my Mercedes SL summer car. That being said those are not winter rated, they are all season tires which do OK at best in the snow. Difference is for places which require winter tires all seasons are illegal where as all weather are legal due to the 3 snowflake symbol rating.

That being said I would definitely choose the DWS-06 over any All Weather and use dedicated snow tires in the winter. Definitely a good balance of comfort, low noise and decent handling.

My experience with DWS-06 was also very good, up until about 30k miles. Then they got very noisy...3 different vehicles, VW NMS Passats, VW Sportwagen, Ford CMax. I'm not sure I'd buy them again. (all cars, 5k mile tire rotation)

My experience with DWS-06 was also very good, up until about 30k miles. Then they got very noisy...3 different vehicles, VW NMS Passats, VW Sportwagen, Ford CMax. I'm not sure I'd buy them again. (all cars, 5k mile tire rotation)
I usually replace them between 30k and 40k miles anyways... I've always had the warranty pro-rated, so I haven't had to pay full price in a very long time... And like I was saying before, if it snowed more, I'd maybe consider something different, but for the amount we get, it suffices.

I usually replace them between 30k and 40k miles anyways... I've always had the warranty pro-rated, so I haven't had to pay full price in a very long time... And like I was saying before, if it snowed more, I'd maybe consider something different, but for the amount we get, it suffices.
I've run DWS and DWS-06 on a number of cars, too (BMW 330xi, Audi A4, Audi S3). I usually replaced them in the 30-40k range, as well. I have always liked the tires. I'm debating what to get to run in the winter on my MYP. We rarely get much snow around here, but I do make frequent runs to the NC and VA mountains to ski. I'm torn between the DWS-06 or Michelin AS4 vs. an all weather tire vs. dedicated winter tires.

I've run DWS and DWS-06 on a number of cars, too (BMW 330xi, Audi A4, Audi S3). I usually replaced them in the 30-40k range, as well. I have always liked the tires. I'm debating what to get to run in the winter on my MYP. We rarely get much snow around here, but I do make frequent runs to the NC and VA mountains to ski. I'm torn between the DWS-06 or Michelin AS4 vs. an all weather tire vs. dedicated winter tires.
In my case, the only issue I have with the Vredestians, is that the tire is a "Grand Touring" tire, wheras most of the tires I buy are usually in the Ultra High Performance All Season category, because I lean towards spirited driving. Most grand touring tires I've run, tended to have rather shitty dry/wet performance.. That would be my only tradeoff with the DWS vs Vredestians, is that one has better snow traction being an all weather tire vs all season tire, but the other probably has superior dry/wet handling. At least that's my take on it...