Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 19" Tires, North California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I know that it's been discussed to the wazoo, but I'm looking for new tires for my Model Y, currently on the stock 19" Contis (28k miles, chill to moderately spirited driving).

Would like some recommendations for replacements, price isn't too important as most options seem to be 300ish+.

For reference, I am in the Bay Area. Are the OE ProContact Rx good tires as a baseline? Worth just getting them again for the efficiency? Currently looking at the Pilot Sport All Season 4, Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack, and the Goodyear Electridrive GT (seem to be brand new).

Would love some help in making a decision if anyone has experience with them. Thanks!

Any of the tires in paragraph 3 above are better than OEM for traction, wet/dry, and for comfort/noise. ALL of them have lower efficiency than OEM.

Beyond that, it's totally personal preference. Check out and use the TireRack "Comparison" guide. All of the tires you referenced are highly rated.

Yes, "it's been discussed to the wazoo", and you'd save time by searching and reading the comparisons. There are so many threads it's not an easy task, but the info is there.

• Love
Reactions: Ciaopec
So I know that it's been discussed to the wazoo, but I'm looking for new tires for my Model Y, currently on the stock 19" Contis (28k miles, chill to moderately spirited driving).

Would like some recommendations for replacements, price isn't too important as most options seem to be 300ish+.

For reference, I am in the Bay Area. Are the OE ProContact Rx good tires as a baseline? Worth just getting them again for the efficiency? Currently looking at the Pilot Sport All Season 4, Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack, and the Goodyear Electridrive GT (seem to be brand new).

Would love some help in making a decision if anyone has experience with them. Thanks!
There’s a new Turanza EV coming out.

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro All-Season Tire (available for the Tesla Model Y in OE 19" and 20" tire sizes) performs very well in dry conditions and on wet roads; just OK in snow (better than OE). Expect up to 4 or 5 % lower efficiency in exchange for excellent wet traction. Vredestein tires are made in the Netherlands so most in the US have never known this tire brand. Since Vredestein spends no money on advertising in the US they can afford to sell their tires for about 1/3rd less than the major tire brands such as Michelin, etc. For the price of 3 of the major name brand tires you can get 4 of the Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires. In Europe Vredestein has a reputation for making excellent winter tires; the Vredestein winter tire sold in the US is the Wintrac Pro. (LPT: The Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires are frequently out of stock at TireRack, especially in fall and winter. If you want them order ahead of when you will need them.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
I just installed these on my car a week or so ago. I'm tracking the efficiency but only have about 800 miles on the atm. My lifetime prior to these tires was 272 wh/mi. My initial impressions (based on comparing them to my 19" OEM Continentals) are that they are a little bit louder when rolling at lower speeds (40 - 50 mph) but no louder at highway speeds. And I really only noticed the noise when I was driving without the radio on. The ride is a bit more comfortable but they don't seem quite as crisp in handling - but again, the Conti's had almost 35k miles on them, so I would expect both of those things to be true. Still, so far so good. With the crazy rain we have had the last week, the car feels so much safer on the highway with the new tires.

I just installed these on my car a week or so ago. I'm tracking the efficiency but only have about 800 miles on the atm. My lifetime prior to these tires was 272 wh/mi. My initial impressions (based on comparing them to my 19" OEM Continentals) are that they are a little bit louder when rolling at lower speeds (40 - 50 mph) but no louder at highway speeds. And I really only noticed the noise when I was driving without the radio on. The ride is a bit more comfortable but they don't seem quite as crisp in handling - but again, the Conti's had almost 35k miles on them, so I would expect both of those things to be true. Still, so far so good. With the crazy rain we have had the last week, the car feels so much safer on the highway with the new tires.
Just installed which tires?

The Vredestein Quatrac Pro All-Season Tire (available for the Tesla Model Y in OE 19" and 20" tire sizes) performs very well in dry conditions and on wet roads; just OK in snow (better than OE). Expect up to 4 or 5 % lower efficiency in exchange for excellent wet traction. Vredestein tires are made in the Netherlands so most in the US have never known this tire brand. Since Vredestein spends no money on advertising in the US they can afford to sell their tires for about 1/3rd less than the major tire brands such as Michelin, etc. For the price of 3 of the major name brand tires you can get 4 of the Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires. In Europe Vredestein has a reputation for making excellent winter tires; the Vredestein winter tire sold in the US is the Wintrac Pro. (LPT: The Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires are frequently out of stock at TireRack, especially in fall and winter. If you want them order ahead of when you will need them.)
Does any shops in the US help with installation if I purchase it from TireRack?

Tirerack/Discount Tire/America's Tire, are all one company, so...yes, they'll mount/balance tires for you...for a fee.
Also, I believe you can have TireRack drop-ship tires to any installer of your choice. TR also has a list of recommended installers.

Does any shops in the US help with installation if I purchase it from TireRack?
TireRack (now partly owned by Discount Tire/America's Tire) maintains a network of independent auto repair garage's that will install your TireRack purchased tires. TireRack also has mobile TireRack service vans available in some areas that come to your home or work to install, etc. (You can order tires, wheels from TireRack and have these shipped directly to the local installer. The local installer will contact you when the tires have been delivered, ready to be installed.

I’m in the same decision boat as you. What did you wind up choosing?

I have run the Vredestein’s now for bit over one year in New England weather. My results are somewhat different than described above. My snow/ice experience has been far better than OEM, no contest. The car remains steady in curves and stops effectively. My efficiency drop has been closer to 1-2%. I do agree that price is clearly a bonus as I was able to get a local shop to order these for me at a price below Tirerack. Also agree about dry and wet roads as stated. I recommend.

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe