Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tires/Wheels for Tracking Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been doing lots of reading and it sounds like people are getting custom machined wheels from getyourwheels as they will machine a countersink specifically for Tesla Model 3 Performance so that many of their wheels can fit! Other people like Fast Wheels are also offering their wheels with the necessary machining in the next week or two (similar wheels as seen in this video:
)

Now my main dilemma is what size wheels to get...18x10 or 19x9.5, both in a +35 offset. I'd run 275's on the former and 265s on the latter, likely in RE-71R for starters and maybe going to A7's or something similar eventually. Both of these sizes will be a pretty tight fit and i'd love to get confirmation from someone that they fit before pulling the trigger :D

Thanks for this link - that guy in the video is technically quite competent. I do have some concerns about the getyourwheels website however, particularly the inability to get any wheel weights, or to use weight as a selection criteria. Some lines of forged wheels appear to be very expensive (even for forged), you can't get a very high quality photographic image to inspect, and they are stocking brands I've never heard of. I'm in no rush, so I will wait until some of the smoke, and the hype, clears out. All of us early adapters risk some pretty expensive mistakes paving the path for the later adapters who get to benefit from our mishaps.

If you have a model 3 with the Brembos, I doubt that 18s will work (correction - only a few will fit - like the expensive ones in the video!). Almost no 18 inch wheel clears those huge calipers (I've tried all three brands that I have). I think the 19 inch size is still the best choice, as you can go up to 265/35, still drop some unsprung weight with a lightweight wheel, and probably not risk too many clearance issues when the suspension is compressed under load. The 275 might work, but might be pushing it, even though the TMC guy states that there is clearly room - time will tell.

See here for a revealing graphic aid. You can rejigger the various combinations of wheel and tire using this great template. One thing to watch out for is any significant change from the zero scrub radius of the stock setup (although going slightly negative from zero is probably benign). That might change the steering behavior under acceleration and braking too. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to confirm that a 275 tire can clear without mounting it first, and if you mount it, you own it (both the wheel and the tire!) this could be an expensive experiment without the benefit of someone else's trial.

Last edited:
I believe they're running 19x10 et35 275/35R19 all around.

Ahh that could definitely be a thing, either way i'd love to be able to run 10" wide wheels or 9.5" at the least. Using 18"s won't look the best from an aspect ratio perspective, but should be a little lighter and cheaper so that would be nice if it's possible to fit over the P3D+ brakes.

Edit: Looks like you're right, they are 19x10 per this tweet

I know TSportline has shown that their 18" turbines fit over the P3D+ brakes, so i'm holding out hope :)

@MountainPass We're all dying to hear about your testing from today :p

Last edited:
That's because they aren't really interested in purchasing wheels to maximize performance and instead are really going for looks. The largest wheel size is only 9", so that's not really super track oriented unfortunately.

Looks like you are correct, 9" being the widest option available for pre-order, I did read that many people were interested in the 19" x 9.5" but ordered the 19" x 9" size instead because it was not an option on the site, seems if enough people called Evasive Motorsports and asked them to add it as an option it would be available to order, below is the link for pre-order

Titan 7 for Tesla | Evasive Motorsports

Yep and also notice that the pre-order site doesn't even include the 9.5" ones, so yea we could email Evasive and hope/pray - but i'm frankly not going to hold my breath. Even with the other sizes, they are estimating delivery in the next 3 months which is a bit long for my liking.

I am personally a fan of the FC04's and they will soon be offering them with the necessary machining for P3D fitment (i.e the lip counterbored on the inside of the wheel)

https://www.fastwheels.ca/productinfo.aspx?wn=fc04&fn=metallic+black

Has anyone found any wheels that are or will be available in 18" for the P3D+? (Besides the T-Sportline. Not a fan of the design.)

You can purchase wheels from places like www.getyourwheels.com (not an ad/i have no affiliation/never purchased myself from them) and they can machine the wheels such that they fit a Model 3.

Also, Fast Wheels will be making many of their wheels available for Model 3 soon as well, contact @Mad Hungarian for details. One example is their FC04 which is shown fitting in the video above (at 18")

• Informative
Reactions: usofrob
Ahh that could definitely be a thing, either way i'd love to be able to run 10" wide wheels or 9.5" at the least. Using 18"s won't look the best from an aspect ratio perspective, but should be a little lighter and cheaper so that would be nice if it's possible to fit over the P3D+ brakes.

Edit: Looks like you're right, they are 19x10 per this tweet

I know TSportline has shown that their 18" turbines fit over the P3D+ brakes, so i'm holding out hope :)

@MountainPass We're all dying to hear about your testing from today :p

Ask and you shall receive ;)

Update for anyone watching this, or those visiting in the future, here's what i've done over the last month for track use:

Bought some 19x9.5" VMR V710FF wheels with +33 offset. I decided to run 265/35/19 Bridgestone RE-71Rs and think they do well on the track, but are definitely harsh for street driving and likely would wear out very quickly on the road. I don't have any rubbing, but have had a few incidents where i bumped a fender during hard braking/turning or a steep driveway while turning.

My plan for next set of tires is to go down to 255 width and try out the new Bridgestone S007A which is a replacement for the popular RE-11 and should be a nice middle ground between the Pilot Sport 4S that comes stock and the RE-71R which is harsh on the street.

As a bonus, the S007A has a 240 treadwear and at 255 you would be eligible to compete in GTA Pro Am Enthusiast class ;)

Attachments

• TeslaPhoto1Touched.jpg
    TeslaPhoto1Touched.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
Reactions: Ebrake
Update for anyone watching this, or those visiting in the future, here's what i've done over the last month for track use:

Bought some 19x9.5" VMR V710FF wheels with +33 offset. I decided to run 265/35/19 Bridgestone RE-71Rs and think they do well on the track, but are definitely harsh for street driving and likely would wear out very quickly on the road. I don't have any rubbing, but have had a few incidents where i bumped a fender during hard braking/turning or a steep driveway while turning.

My plan for next set of tires is to go down to 255 width and try out the new Bridgestone S007A which is a replacement for the popular RE-11 and should be a nice middle ground between the Pilot Sport 4S that comes stock and the RE-71R which is harsh on the street.

As a bonus, the S007A has a 240 treadwear and at 255 you would be eligible to compete in GTA Pro Am Enthusiast class ;)
Aren't VMR's pretty heavy?

NIce. Those look fantastic, esp. with the dark silver paint. Curious to hear - what's the weight of the wheel? (never mind - seen in previous post!) Do you have a VBOX or other accelerometer? Curious if you have any data on laps or lateral G with various setups.

Here's another option in that popular size (19X9.5) on Tire Rack, only 20 lbs, and only $277 a wheel, but no options for anything other than silver/clearcoat. However, the combination of flow/gravity cast, weight similar to forged, low cost, and really good width (opening up options for 255/265 35 rubber) means this should be on your short list if you don't have the deep pockets for forged wheels.
trans.gif

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zoomit
Here's another option in that popular size (19X9.5) on Tire Rack, only 20 lbs, and only $277 a wheel, but no options for anything other than silver/clearcoat. However, the combination of flow/gravity cast, weight similar to forged, low cost, and really good width (opening up options for 255/265 35 rubber) means this should be on your short list if you don't have the deep pockets for forged wheels.

Though be careful if you have a P3D since they may not have the necessary counterbore! VMR wheels will machine their wheels to fit, which is great.

A little off topic, I hope you will forgive me. some of the videos of Teslas on the track I noted some guys with sort of a lackadaisical attitude.
From my limited experience, the time people end up off track is when they are just sort of fooling around, not giving their absolute attention.
Those guys may be the best, I just don't want new guys on the track going out there with the same attitude. Oddly you don't even need to be going that fast to end up going off, from there things can get costly fast.

I'm curious, how much time can the car spend on the track and still get home?