Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tires/Wheels for Tracking Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little off topic, I hope you will forgive me. some of the videos of Teslas on the track I noted some guys with sort of a lackadaisical attitude.

I think i saw the same videos, that really bugged me. Two hands on the wheel AT ALL TIMES on the track (except point by?), but yea that's a little off topic from wheels/tires :)

To answer your question on battery usage, i used about 30% of my battery during a 15 minute track session (~5 laps). The efficiency was about 1200 wh/mile lol but luckily a few tracks here in SoCal (i.e Buttonwillow and Willow Springs) are within 10 miles of a supercharger so you can charge during lunch in between your 2nd and 3rd sessions.

Though be careful if you have a P3D since they may not have the necessary counterbore! VMR wheels will machine their wheels to fit, which is great.

Yes, but that's an easy fix as it turns out, in terms of trimming the plastic hubcentric rings. I was able to trim them in about a minute with a belt sander on the Advanti 20X9 (saving me from buying a new set of tires). And
_DSC7212_DxO_DxO.jpg
they fit nicely and quite tightly. If that bit of 'jury-rigging' feels too risky or is more than someone wants to undertake, folks can just wait until Tire Rack has the modified and model-specific rings. Either way . . . .

Reactions: SniperP3D
Here's another option in that popular size (19X9.5) on Tire Rack, only 20 lbs, and only $277 a wheel, but no options for anything other than silver/clearcoat. However, the combination of flow/gravity cast, weight similar to forged, low cost, and really good width (opening up options for 255/265 35 rubber) means this should be on your short list if you don't have the deep pockets for forged wheels.
trans.gif
Looks like the 9.5 is only offered in +40 offset which would rub.

forgive me if I haven't been following close enough, if you are tracking your tesla it isn't a good idea to use plastic spacers. In other cars they have been known to distort under extreme heat.

"Yes, but that's an easy fix as it turns out, in terms of trimming the plastic hubcentric rings. I was able to trim them in about a minute with a belt sander on the Advanti 20X9 (saving me from buying a new set of tires). "

A little off topic, I hope you will forgive me. some of the videos of Teslas on the track I noted some guys with sort of a lackadaisical attitude.
From my limited experience, the time people end up off track is when they are just sort of fooling around, not giving their absolute attention.
Those guys may be the best, I just don't want new guys on the track going out there with the same attitude. Oddly you don't even need to be going that fast to end up going off, from there things can get costly fast.

I'm curious, how much time can the car spend on the track and still get home?
We charge in between sessions, so we spend all day lapping and then go to a supercharger halfway home.

Wow! with 18"s no less. That must be the absolute limit. I have the same rotors as you in my P3D- and according to my measurements that should not be possible but I believe you. So you don't rub under any condition?
Tightest spot is 4mm of clearance from the inside barrel of the rim to the knuckle.
MPP runs 19x10 35mm offset! 275/35 tires. I think they have had them rub a little bit though, not sure where.

Reactions: kbecks13
Front inside suspension member.

I have 20X9 with 40 offset that have enough room for at least a 245/35-20, which is the size the Motor Trend piece references with Track Mode and Pilot Sport Cup tires, when they beat the AR Quadrifoglio's time by 1.29 seconds. But that front suspension control arm is the limiting factor for sure.

How much clearance do you think I would have if I go with 19"x9.5 +35 265/35 tires? I don't want to be too close like you where tire deflection might cause problems.
On a P3D+ you’d have the same tire clearance as me. A little bit more from the barrel to the knuckle since the knuckle curves inward.
If you’re talking about without the PUP rotors then I think it would also be fine. Keep in mind that at stock ride height my front wheels stick out beyond the fenders a little bit. Going 5mm farther out would make the aero even worse and might look a little funny.

On a P3D+ you’d have the same tire clearance as me. A little bit more from the barrel to the knuckle since the knuckle curves inward.
If you’re talking about without the PUP rotors then I think it would also be fine. Keep in mind that at stock ride height my front wheels stick out beyond the fenders a little bit. Going 5mm farther out would make the aero even worse and might look a little funny.
I have P3D without PUP so rotors like you. I do want to keep the stock height. Getting rid of the aeros in favor of Titan 7 wheels. So my wheels would stick out 5mm? Does that look funny?

From my limited experience, the time people end up off track is when they are just sort of fooling around, not giving their absolute attention.
Those guys may be the best, I just don't want new guys on the track going out there with the same attitude. Oddly you don't even need to be going that fast to end up going off, from there things can get costly fast.

I'm curious, how much time can the car spend on the track and still get home?
My last track day I arrived in about 95% SOC. Ran 3 20 minute sessions, plus the couple pace laps. I did charge between sessions using an RV outlet I rented from the track. My on board charger was going out (actually went out totally by end of the day) so I didn't gain much between sessions. I had planned to top off for maybe 30 minutes before leaving but after my last run I was getting literally zero from the charger. I was able to make the drive home going slowly (60 on back roads) which was about 50 miles and had 5% or so when I limped into the garage.

Now with track mode I think charging between sessions will be both very beneficial, and possibly critical.

Now with track mode I think charging between sessions will be both very beneficial, and possibly critical.

Ehh you only get ~8 kW from the AC chargers and assuming you have an hour in between sessions that only gives you maybe 1/3rd of what each session consumes. I am personally hoping for either superchargers at the track (least likely to happen) or for Tesla to enable Chademo for Model 3 so we can use 3rd party DC chargers and get like 40-50 kW.

If Model 3 supported Chademo, i would honestly consider installing a 3rd party DC charger at my local track and charging $.50/kwh for people to use it. You'd be able to get as much power in 1 hour as you use in each session.

Ehh you only get ~8 kW from the AC chargers and assuming you have an hour in between sessions that only gives you maybe 1/3rd of what each session consumes. I am personally hoping for either superchargers at the track (least likely to happen) or for Tesla to enable Chademo for Model 3 so we can use 3rd party DC chargers and get like 40-50 kW.

If Model 3 supported Chademo, i would honestly consider installing a 3rd party DC charger at my local track and charging $.50/kwh for people to use it. You'd be able to get as much power in 1 hour as you use in each session.
Superchargers would be great but I'm guessing that charging between sessions will really let track mode cool the car without really eating up your battery. We work with what we have right now. Sooner or later we will see high power DC chargers at tracks. FWIW Tesla did tell me that Chademo is on the upgrade path for the 3.

19x9.5 +40 with 265/35 tires would look better but I don't think there is inner clearance in the front for that. Is there?
There is. I’m running 18x9.5 +39 and the tightest clearance spot is the inside of the rim. 19 inch wheels would have slightly more clearance to the inside of the rim. MPP is running 19x10s +35, a mm less inside clearance than 19x9.5 +40.