Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best upgrade yet (Sun Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Warning: I am OCD when it comes to noise. I was very worried about cabin noise in the model 3. That was my primary test drive purposes (not handling or acceleration).

I took the M3 on a 300 mile trip this weekend (P3D- 18”) and it was not bad. Could be better, but not bad.

Little background:

I have dabbled a lot in high end audio. Maybe why my ears are sensitive (damaged, who knows). I’ve probably spent more on my current audio system than my model 3 (don’t tell my wife).

Any way, one of the worst things for a listening room is glass. It should be covered or treated. Flat bare walls behind you are also bad too.

I also own a Jeep Summit with panoramic sunroof. I normally keep it fully closed. Sometimes when I do open just the shade I notice an increase in ambient noise. Just slightly.

I also had a bag of plastic containers sitting on the passenger seat one day. I was driving along and heard a squeak from the roof. Oh crap, the sunroof is squeaking. Turns out it was the plastic containers on the seat but the sound was bouncing off the glass.

So I was really pleasantly surprised when I caught a video of someone reviewing a sun screen on the model 3. This review could care less about the acoustic side effect. But coild this take the edge off by cutting reflections down (directly above my head).

I think it absolutely does. Now I admit this could be placebo effect. It does not seam to affect tire noise that much. But the over all cabin is less lively, warmer.

Evee notice when a room has no furniture it seems echoey, lively. Add a piece of furniture or put an area rug down and notice the change. This is exactly what it feels like, adding the sunscreen. Feels like I put area rug down in my lively (glass cube cabin). It actually has way more effect than I ever expected.

Music sounds better too.

I feel like this, if noticeably true, would be much more exaggerated on Model X with huge windshield.

Not sure what you mean. Because it has more glass it should be worse and it's not?
I understand folks generally feel the S/X is a quieter cabin.
Well you can reduce noise at the source too.

And I would bet if you added the sun screens to the X it would improve it further as well.

Reactions: SteveD and spectrum
Upgrade 2. Cost $0.00 and about 5 minutes labor.

I rummaged through our shipping supply "recycle pile" and found some of that thin (1/4") white foam.
I stuffed 2 layers under the rear window deck from underneath via the trunk.

Warning, it DOES cut down the Bass some !!!

But between the Sun Screen and this "Baffle", the car feels so much more luxurious now.

You don't have to crank the radio as much to drown it out road noise either.

I might try to play with it more, so I don't lose as much bass (different materials and thickness).
You could almost mount a passive radiator there. But that might still transmit low frequency noise too.

I don't think the "Road Noise" is below 200hz (i.e. the Sub Frequencies). A passive radiator might filter higher frequencies and pass low frequencies.

I've seen a few references to this "seal the rear deck" but not much talk. But lots of talk about road noise.

This is a significant source of cabin noise. The subwoofer design is interesting but I think it's kind of a fail.

I rummaged through our shipping supply "recycle pile" and found some of that thin (1/4") white foam.

But between the Sun Screen and this "Baffle", the car feels so much more luxurious now.

I might try to play with it more, so I don't lose as much bass (different materials and thickness).
You could almost mount a passive radiator there. But that might still transmit low frequency noise too.

I don't think the "Road Noise" is below 200hz (i.e. the Sub Frequencies). A passive radiator might filter higher frequencies and pass low frequencies.

I've seen a few references to this "seal the rear deck" but not much talk. But lots of talk about road noise.

This is a significant source of cabin noise. The subwoofer design is interesting but I think it's kind of a fail.

Nice! Can you maybe post a little write up and/or pics about how you took apart your liftgate bits?

Nice! Can you maybe post a little write up and/or pics about how you took apart your liftgate bits?

There is nothing to take apart.

Look under the rear window deck from the trunk. You can look straight into the cabin. Actually you’ll see the sky as you’ll be looking right at the rear window. It’s just a metal grill.

I've been thinking about this, and I bet it did quiet up the cabin. In theory it really shouldn't attenuate bass frequencies, because the material isn't thick enough. You could try just a small port hole, and that might be all you need.

Warning: I am OCD when it comes to noise. I was very worried about cabin noise in the model 3. That was my primary test drive purposes (not handling or acceleration).....

....So I was really pleasantly surprised when I caught a video of someone reviewing a sun screen on the model 3. This review could care less about the acoustic side effect. But coild this take the edge off by cutting reflections down (directly above my head).

I think it absolutely does. Now I admit this could be placebo effect. It does not seam to affect tire noise that much. But the over all cabin is less lively, warmer.

Evee notice when a room has no furniture it seems echoey, lively. Add a piece of furniture or put an area rug down and notice the change. This is exactly what it feels like, adding the sunscreen. Feels like I put area rug down in my lively (glass cube cabin). It actually has way more effect than I ever expected.

Music sounds better too.

As for road noise, you might want to look into an all weather mat like 3DMaxpider Kagu. The foam in them I believe does cut down on road noise, and they list that as one of the features of the mat. (see "3 layers with sound barrier" section in this webpage from Part Catalog, one of a few places selling them--these mats in general sell out fast btw). We have the kagu mats in our Model S and recently picked them up for our Model 3 and love them.

Last edited:
As for road noise, you might want to look into an all weather mat like 3DMaxpider Kagu. The foam in them I believe does cut down on road noise, and they list that as one of the features of the mat. (see "3 layers with sound barrier" section in this webpage from Part Catalog, one of a few places selling them--these mats in general sell out fast btw). We have the kagu mats in our Model S and recently picked them up for our Model 3 and love them.

I’m on the EV Tuning wait list. Thx.

Probably a trunk and FRUNK one might help too. It’s all cumulative.

Reactions: SMAlset
I don't think that rear deck grill needs to be there at all. I have a theory that it's there to act like a "skylight" to lighten the trunk a little bit in the daytime.

I don't think so. It clearly cut back on the subwoofer with even a modest amount of foam.
They could have put clear plastic under the grill, if it was for light. Or for that matter a light bulb. It would have been cheaper.
Clearly they went through some design trade-offs with this scheme.

I almost wonder if they originally planned on putting the subwoofer there.
That's what TSportline is planning on offering in their custom audio upgrades.

I have wondered if the "skylight" had something to do with improving air circulation somehow. Given how much thought has gone into every part of the car, I tend to think it has to have a real purpose. If not for the current versions of the car, then maybe for the Standard Model 3. Would make sense to have a universal part there and just customize as needed to keep costs down. So far all of the produced Model 3s have had the PUP sound system installed, and doubt the Standard will. Maybe a rear speaker?

Last edited:
I don't think so. It clearly cut back on the subwoofer with even a modest amount of foam.
They could have put clear plastic under the grill, if it was for light. Or for that matter a light bulb. It would have been cheaper.
Clearly they went through some design trade-offs with this scheme.

I almost wonder if they originally planned on putting the subwoofer there.
That's what TSportline is planning on offering in their custom audio upgrades.

There are lots of cars with subs in the trunk and also lots of people put subs in the trunk. The thing is low frequencies are omni-directional, or more so than higher frequencies. The wavelength of a 60hz tone is very long, so it permeates through most materials. When designing acoustic foam, you need a material the thickness of a quarter of the wavelength of the frequency you are trying to attenuate. A 1k tone is approximately one foot long, so in order to attenuate that frequency, or absorb it within the material, you need about a 3 inch thick panel. Any frequencies above 1k would get absorbed as well. Low frequencies are the hardest to mitigate for soundproofing because their wavelengths are so long, when you get real low they're like 30 feet long. That's why most subs have a phase switch, because depending on where you place a sub you might not actually hear it because the wave is at its zero point where you're sitting. That's also why you can hear one of those boom boom cars a thousand feet away.

This is just what I know from my experience in the audiovisual field of work, so I decided to do a not-so-scientific experiment. I used a three inch piece of Roxul mineral insulation, which is basically what acoustic panels are made of, and did some measurements with the audiotools app on my iphone. Tone settings are flat, volume is somewhere in the middle. I played a sine wave at 60hz, 100 hz, and 200 hz, both with the grill open and with the insulation taped to the underside of the grill. I then played pink noise and captured the covered and uncovered results. The Iphone was placed over the center console.

One thing I learned is that I have some resonant rattles at 60 hz. Another thing I learned is the rear seats have barely any coverage.
I could see that the cabin would feel more "dead" because there are less high frequencies bouncing around in the trunk, but the sub would work fine if the trunk was completely enclosed. It might honestly improve bass response because sound is pressure, and you'd be increasing the pressure in the trunk when sound is moved through it.

If you are talking about the rear seats, I could see more attenuation of the sound because there doesn't seem to be any woofers in the door speakers, but from the front seats I noticed no change in bass response and the results back that up. So I think covering that grill would be a great way to get rid of some road noise, but probably not the droning type at lower frequencies.
IMG_3747.jpg IMG_3748.jpg IMG_3749.jpg IMG_3750.jpg IMG_3751.jpg IMG_3752.jpg IMG_3753.jpg IMG_3754.jpg

I have wondered if the "skylight" had something to do with improving air circulation somehow. Given how much thought has gone into every part of the car, I tend to think it has to have a real purpose.
I think the rear deck vent serves multiple purposes: exit vent for the HVAC system (at least I haven't found one elsewhere in the cabin), make the trunk easier to close by releasing air pressure, and duct for the subwoofer. Many other sedans have similar openings in the rear decks (e.g. BMWs and Fords). I don't think it's a good idea to block it completely.

Reactions: mswlogo
Warning: I am OCD when it comes to noise. I was very worried about cabin noise in the model 3. That was my primary test drive purposes (not handling or acceleration).

I took the M3 on a 300 mile trip this weekend (P3D- 18”) and it was not bad. Could be better, but not bad.

Little background:

I have dabbled a lot in high end audio. Maybe why my ears are sensitive (damaged, who knows). I’ve probably spent more on my current audio system than my model 3 (don’t tell my wife).

Any way, one of the worst things for a listening room is glass. It should be covered or treated. Flat bare walls behind you are also bad too.

I also own a Jeep Summit with panoramic sunroof. I normally keep it fully closed. Sometimes when I do open just the shade I notice an increase in ambient noise. Just slightly.

I also had a bag of plastic containers sitting on the passenger seat one day. I was driving along and heard a squeak from the roof. Oh crap, the sunroof is squeaking. Turns out it was the plastic containers on the seat but the sound was bouncing off the glass.

So I was really pleasantly surprised when I caught a video of someone reviewing a sun screen on the model 3. This review could care less about the acoustic side effect. But coild this take the edge off by cutting reflections down (directly above my head).

Music sounds better too.

First do this
Audicus Online Hearing Test

If I had bad hearing and claim an I hear improvement that should be even more reason for others with better hearing to consider my suggestion.

That isn't a test for imaginary hearing.

Seems Uncle Paul in the Model X above also added the screens and agrees with me.

Maybe you should take a hearing test if you can't hear a difference.

It makes absolute perfect sense it helps.