Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to deter rats / mice from infiltrating a model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T

tony26

I can't really find a good answer to my question but it's about the battery in a Model 3. Basically I moved to be near my parents as they need help now and they live on a ranch. I don't have a garage so I am parking under a carport. But the issue is it's a ranch so they have some mice and rats around. I read that if I take peppermint oil and put it on cotton balls the smell works well to keep them away. I have no idea if this works or not but that's what i've read, plus my father says it works lol. But like I said I have no idea if it actually works.

My question is, can I get something like a plastic hide away key that I can just attach a few to the bottom of the car using a magnet? I just don't know if the car has a place to put a magnet or if it's a stupid idea? Plus would this in anyway damage the batteries? I don't think it will but a friend of mine said he thought he read that you should never put a magnet near a battery.

Sorry that was long and sorry if this has already been answered, I looked around but I could not really find anything.

I am not really sure what to do about the nice, but there are stick-on key boxes that simply use double-sided tape, no?
That's a great idea, I have not seen those in the store, I just saw the one's the have magnets. But I have heard of the double-sided tape, I will look into that. Thank you for the reminder.

YamiTongueSmall.jpg

I can't really find a good answer to my question but it's about the battery in a Model 3. Basically I moved to be near my parents as they need help now and they live on a ranch. I don't have a garage so I am parking under a carport. But the issue is it's a ranch so they have some mice and rats around...
Agree with @RayK.

How about the old fashion way of getting a cat from animal shelter?

A ranch is much better than a small apartment.

I used to have the mice problem and used traps, poisons that killed them but they kept coming back.

I then got a cat and treated it like a wild cat (outdoor and garage only, not inside my living quarter) and its natural curiosity prompted it to patrol the garage and the area around the property. That scared off the mice and I have never seen them since.

Agree with @RayK.

How about the old fashion way of getting a cat from animal shelter?

A ranch is much better than a small apartment.

I used to have the mice problem and used traps, poisons that killed them but they kept coming back.

I then got a cat and treated it like a wild cat (outdoor and garage only, not inside my living quarter) and its natural curiosity prompted it to patrol the garage and the area around the property. That scared off the mice and I have never seen them since.
Yes, you and @RayK have a great idea. I will look into a cat. You are totally right, I'd rather be on a ranch instead of an apartment. But I think you are right, we have traps and mice keep coming back. Just part of ranch life I think.

@tony26 I was being half-facetious about getting a cat but in some cases it could work. I would not normally recommend having an outdoor cat because in addition to hunting vermin, they may also target birds. Plus, living out in a ranch the cat could become prey itself with mountain lions, bobcats, foxes, wolves, etc.

As far as the peppermint oil idea goes, it may work but could require high concentrations of the stuff. A couple of cotton balls soaked in solution may not be enough.

edit: And you might have to experiment with several cats until you hit upon a "mouser". Some cats just aren't made for stalking their own prey.

@tony26 I was being half-facetious about getting a cat but in some cases it could work. I would not normally recommend having an outdoor cat because in addition to hunting vermin, they may also target birds. Plus, living out in a ranch the cat could become prey itself with mountain lions, bobcats, foxes, wolves, etc.

As far as the peppermint oil idea goes, it may work but could require high concentrations of the stuff. A couple of cotton balls soaked in solution may not be enough.

edit: And you might have to experiment with several cats until you hit upon a "mouser". Some cats just aren't made for stalking their own prey.
Oh it was just something I will think about. I realize you were being half facetious about it. Plus I know a cat might just end up costing money to feed it and it might not even catch anything. Plus you bring up a great point, it might target birds or might become prey itself. Which would not be good at all.

Yes, from what I read it would require a large amount of peppermint since it drys quickly.

...it might not even catch anything...
My cat never caught any mice at all! That's the whole point: I killed mice and I still had the problem. The cat didn't catch any and there are no more mice to be found. Problem solved!
...it might target birds...
That's why I treat my cat as "wild" as in the wilderness. It's Darwinism out there.

However, since I provide food and water and the shelter of a garage, the cat always comes back for food and water and it is possessive of its own
territory.

Since it's full, it's not "hunting" for food. It only patrols the property to make sure its food and water belong to it only and there are no others around.

I live in the city so maybe why it has not caught any other animals. There have been many birds around but my cat has not caught any (maybe it's still full!).

...might become prey itself..
It's part of Darwinism. Most cats know how to survive so I would not worry about it. However, there are many other cats in the shelter waiting to be put down so if you lose one, rescue another one from the shelter.

...money to feed it...
Yes. Mice clearance service costs money one way or another. I think rescuing a cat from a shelter and feeding it is well worth every penny just for the service.

Hello, if you are still having rodent issues, I would like to introduce you to GridGuard.

While not inexpensive at $1499, our customers have found it to be the most safe, effective and humane way to guarantee protection from rodent infestation.

Its certainly cheaper than the average repair bill and hassle of having rodents destroy your vehicle. Many customers have come to us after having been stuck on the road with a car that won't run.

More information and ability to order is at https://www.thegridguard.com/.

Mike at GridGuard.

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801