Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to keep heat from coming through the sunroof?

Rich15

Mar 9, 2021
Lake Worth,FL
I live in Florida and just got my new Model 3. It’s winter and already the heat coming through the sunroof is oppressive. What is the best way to keep that cooler. Does the Tesla sun shade work?

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
Second, I highly recommend that you get the windows tinted using a high-quality ceramic tint. I personally chose Xpel Prime XR Plus and it definitely keeps the cabin much cooler. The AC turns on less often to keep the cabin comfortable. And with ceramic tint, you don't necessarily have to go super dark to get heat rejection. I chose a very light 55% tint, as I want to keep the inside light and bright. Even with that light tint, the ceramic tint still rejects a lot of heat.
Agreed. Tint the car NOW. I can't own a vehicle without tint - especially in S. FL and Vegas.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2021
I live in Florida and just got my new Model 3. It’s winter and already the heat coming through the sunroof is oppressive. What is the best way to keep that cooler. Does the Tesla sun shade work?
I took delivery on a Model 3 a few days ago. Yesterday parked in the sun, the interior temperature went up to 108 degrees. It was in the low 60s outside. I had reservations about the glass roof when I looked at the car. What is the best solution to interior overheating? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Ampre Sand

Nov 18, 2016
Seattle
What heats the cabin up in the sun is not the heavily tinted glass roof, but the massive windshield and side windows. You can test this by feeling the seats after the car has been parked in the sun for a few minutes. I’m in Phoenix, AZ right now. The sun is starting to get intense, and I’m impressed with how much the factory roof tint manages to block.

That said, what the roof absorbs with its heavy tint gets turned into heat. When you’re driving, the moving air over the roof helps cool it, but when parked, the roof glass gets almost too hot to touch. It then becomes a radiator, and if you’re like me without hair, you’ll feel the heat from the hot glass gently radiating onto your scalp.

So, I installed the Tesla roof sunscreens. They definitely help reduce that radiant effect of the hot glass, and they also diffuse what’s left of the pin-point glare of the sun above. There are aftermarket versions available on Amazon that include a silver blackout shade for even more heat rejection. No idea how well those fit/work compared to what I went with.

For the windshield, I’m using a custom-cut folding insulated reflective sun shade. It works very well, especially if leaving the climate control running while doing errands… keeps the sun blasting through the windshield from making the black seats sizzling hot.

I’m thinking between the roof sunscreens and window reflector, I should be able to battle the summer sun without having to tint (not a fan of aftermarket tints).

Upvote 0

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC