Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best wireless game controller for Tesla games

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an old wireless xbox 360 controller with the wireless gaming receiver for PC. Just tried it and it refuses to pair. Darn.

Yeah this is essentially the same type of controller I tried. No dice.

What a shame that Microsoft designed the wireless adapter to be functional only when connected to a Windows PC.

I'm in the process of trying other controllers so if I find a combination that works, I'll post the details :)

I have an old wireless xbox 360 controller with the wireless gaming receiver for PC. Just tried it and it refuses to pair. Darn.

Try pairing with this Wireless Controller Adapter. While the wireless gaming receiver for PC did not work for me either for pairing an Xbox gaming controller, I was able to get it to work with the following MayFlash wireless adapter.

When you get the adapter, be sure to update the firmware on the MayFlash Website and it should work smoothly to pair a wireless Xbox controller.

I wish there were two player games so I can see if I can get the games to work with two wireless controllers.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Last edited:
Has anyone got a wireless controller to work? Wired my PS4 controller works fine. I tried this (updated firmware) but it only works for a little bit and then starts to lose sync and the controller starts messing up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S52TYFP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had excellent results with the following wireless XBox Controller paired to two MayFlash wireless adapters so two can use wireless controllers at the same time. I plugged them both to a self contained USB hub so when I want to play, I just plug in the hub with the wireless adapters attached without having to unplug the TeslaCam drive.

Wireless XBox Controllers (in several colors)

Wireless MayFlash Adapter for each wireless controller (I bought two so I can use two wireless XBox controllers)

And finally I bought this USB hub so I can plug both MayFlash wireless adapters into the same port in the car.

Installation/setup instructions here:
Found Wireless Adapater/game Controller Combination For Tesla Arcade Atari Games

20190829_233835.jpg
20190829_233900.jpg
20190830_002445.jpg

I was having issues with my new wireless Xbox One controller, using the 8BitDo wireless USB adapter. The games were complaining "Too much left" or "Too much right". I was about to return the controller when I saw a post about having to make sure the car's steering wheel was straight. That was the issue! Tesla needs to fix this...

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
I made a small change to tidy things up a bit. My previous setup did not allow the compartment with the USB outlets to be closed because the MayFlash adapters stuck out of the compartment a bit and it also blocked the 12V outlet which I need to use because I use it to power the phone dock.

I wanted to set something up so that everything can be connected and "always on" all the time but being able to close the compartment door so that no unsightly wires or cables can be seen (my original reason to look for a wireless game controller in the first place!).

The key part I needed is a short USB 3.0 extension cable with a 90-dgree left angle connector so that I can plug that into a USB port without blocking the other USB port used by TeslaCam/Sentry while also not blocking the 12V outlet that is used to power the phone dock plus one additional USB device.

The width of the compartment is so perfect that it fits everything snugly with the USB cord wrapped in a loop. At a future time. I'm going to try and fish the USB extension cord underneath the rubber mat, just like the phone connection dock cable but not sure if the wire guide is wide enough to do that but for now the following setup allows me to connect everything so that everything is always online while still leaving one USB port free up front for powering an additional USB device.

Short USB 3.0 Extension Cable, 90 Degree USB 3.0 Adapter

Two USB drives (one for TeslaCam/Sentry and the other for USB audio). I wanted the TeslaCam drive to be plugged directly into the USB port with no hub so it has a direct connection to the car, as that's the most important USB component. The USB drive used for USB audio is connected to the car through the 3 port mini hub.

3 port mini hub connects to 2 MayFlash adapters to be used with 2 wireless XBox controllers plus a USB drive for music.

Two MayFlash adapters to connect two wireless XBox controllers:

And of course the 2 XBox controllers

Low profile 12V dual USB outlet for powering phone dock

And finally Tesla sells the cable that allows you to blind holster your phone for charging.
Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock

chrome_2019-09-30_00-05-44.png

I made a small change to tidy things up a bit. My previous setup did not allow the compartment with the USB outlets to be closed because the MayFlash adapters stuck out of the compartment a bit and it also blocked the 12V outlet which I need to use because I use it to power the phone dock.

I wanted to set something up so that everything can be connected and "always on" all the time but being able to close the compartment door so that no unsightly wires or cables can be seen (my original reason to look for a wireless game controller in the first place!).

The key part I needed is a short USB 3.0 extension cable with a 90-dgree left angle connector so that I can plug that into a USB port without blocking the other USB port used by TeslaCam/Sentry while also not blocking the 12V outlet that is used to power the phone dock plus one additional USB device.

The width of the compartment is so perfect that it fits everything snugly with the USB cord wrapped in a loop. At a future time. I'm going to try and fish the USB extension cord underneath the rubber mat, just like the phone connection dock cable but not sure if the wire guide is wide enough to do that but for now the following setup allows me to connect everything so that everything is always online while still leaving one USB port free up front for powering an additional USB device.

Short USB 3.0 Extension Cable, 90 Degree USB 3.0 Adapter
https://amzn.to/2olSxB9

Two USB drives (one for TeslaCam/Sentry and the other for USB audio). I wanted the TeslaCam drive to be plugged directly into the USB port with no hub so it has a direct connection to the car, as that's the most important USB component. The USB drive used for USB audio is connected to the car through the 3 port mini hub.
https://amzn.to/2osV0tK

3 port mini hub connects to 2 MayFlash adapters to be used with 2 wireless XBox controllers plus a USB drive for music.
https://amzn.to/2nNC0Wk

Two MayFlash adapters to connect two wireless XBox controllers:
https://amzn.to/2nOGCeM

And of course the 2 XBox controllers
https://amzn.to/2mXZCrf

Low profile 12V dual USB outlet for powering phone dock
https://amzn.to/2ouKMJp

And finally Tesla sells the cable that allows you to blind holster your phone for charging.
Model S/X Quick Connection Phone Dock

View attachment 460834
Does this setup work with cuphead and beach buggy racing?

Does this setup work with cuphead and beach buggy racing?

Yes, both Cup Head and Beach Buggy works flawlessly with this setup.

The loop with the USB extension cable actually works like a spring to fit everything snugly so nothing moves or rattles and you can close the compartment to keep everything hidden.

I think when I have some time I can fish everything underneath the rubber mat so it is all hidden and I'll post an update when I do that but for now this works really well and you can start playing a game in just a few seconds with everything always on and connected.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Does anyone know if the Mayflash wireless adapter will work with switch pro controllers on the tesla?

This is one of the reasons I bought the MayFlash adapter. It seems to support Switch Pro controllers :)

From product description:

Wirelessly connect your PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch pro, Nintendo Switch Joy-Con, Wii U pro, and Xbox One S Bluetooth Controllers to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 or PC system

This is one of the reasons I bought the MayFlash adapter. It seems to support Switch Pro controllers :)

https://amzn.to/2Vb2NbO

Wirelessly connect your PS4, PS3, Nintendo Switch pro, Nintendo Switch Joy-Con, Wii U pro, and Xbox One S Bluetooth Controllers to your Nintendo Switch, PS3 or PC system
Great information, but you really should let people know that that's an affiliate link, and that you'll make money on their purchase if they use it.

I really hope so!

It will help pay for all the adapters and controllers I bought and tried until I found a working combination to share with everyone.
Yup, and I will definitely be supporting you by purchasing from one of your affiliate links, but I think it's pretty important for guys to be forthcoming about affiliate links.

In fact, you might get more money from such links if you mention it like, "hey guys, I spent a lot of money on buying all this stuff, then sharing the information about it here. If you buy using one of these links, I get a small kick back, so it helps take the sting out of it."

But sneaky affiliate links are... well.. sneaky. ;)

Yup, and I will definitely be supporting you by purchasing from one of your affiliate links, but I think it's pretty important for guys to be forthcoming about affiliate links.

In fact, you might get more money from such links if you mention it like, "hey guys, I spent a lot of money on buying all this stuff, then sharing the information about it here. If you buy using one of these links, I get a small kick back, so it helps take the sting out of it."

But sneaky affiliate links are... well.. sneaky. ;)

Wow, just wow about your righteous indignation. The OP did all this work to help you find a game controller and adapter that works and you are calling him sneaky as if he somehow caused you some sort of harm? Ungrateful much?

What difference does it make?! It is the exact same cost. I don't give two hoots whether a link is an affiliate link or not as long as it works and I pay the same price, which is the case in this situation. I don't need to read some meaningless justification for using a link when the cost is the same and the products works for the intended purpose. I use affiliate links all the time when I find useful things to buy without throwing a fit over it.

I am grateful the OP helped me figure out a wireless controller to play the games and sorry he has to deal with ungrateful people like you calling him names. Perhaps you can now move onto another major injustice in the world that upsets you slightly more... :rolleyes:

https://amzn.to/2Vb2NbO

Thanks for all your work with finding an adapter and controller that works with the games!

Have you figured out a good way to store the game controllers so they are easily reached and don't rattle?

Wow, just wow about your righteous indignation. The OP did all this work to help you find a game controller and adapter that works and you are calling him sneaky as if he somehow caused you some sort of harm? Ungrateful much?

What difference does it make?! It is the exact same cost. I don't give two hoots whether a link is an affiliate link or not as long as it works and I pay the same price, which is the case in this situation. I don't need to read some meaningless justification for using a link when the cost is the same and the products works for the intended purpose. I use affiliate links all the time when I find useful things to buy without throwing a fit over it.

I am grateful the OP helped me figure out a wireless controller to play the games and sorry he has to deal with ungrateful people like you calling him names. Perhaps you can now move onto another major injustice in the world that upsets you slightly more... :rolleyes:
Wow, talk about over reaction. All I did was say that affiliate links should be labeled as such, and that I would be using his link to support his work. Even suggested how labeling an affiliate link could help him increase his income.

Look elsewhere if you're looking for something to spark off your ill temper; you wont' find it here.

And the only one throwing a fit is you, my friend.

Thanks for all your work with finding an adapter and controller that works with the games!

Have you figured out a good way to store the game controllers so they are easily reached and don't rattle?

I keep both XBox controllers together and was able to use the J1772 adapter wrapped in a neoprene sleeve to keep it all from rattling. This way I also have ready access to the J1772 adapter for opportunity charging.