Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better resale value: Model 3 LR or Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know which Model 3 holds a better resale value between the Model 3 LR vs. Performance? I looked online but it hard to figure because you dont know what the sold price goes for instead relying on the listed prices.

Thanks!

I believe the delivery time on Performance models is quicker so people are probably less likely to pay more for a used one of those if they can get it delivered new in a reasonable amount of time. The Long Range and Standard Range models have longer delivery times and people are probably willing to pay more for them "NOW".

That could all change in six months or a year depending on how much Tesla increases production volume.

I find resale also based on scarcity. I see way less Performance versions vs. everything else so I think the Performance will have better resale in the long run.
How are Performance models “scarce” if you can order a new one direct from Tesla with a significantly shorter lead time than LR?

Does not compute

Obviously you see fewer Performance versions on the road and on the secondary market. That’s because fewer people are buying them to begin with.

How are Performance models “scarce” if you can order a new one direct from Tesla with a significantly shorter lead time than LR?

Does not compute

Obviously you see fewer Performance versions on the road and on the secondary market. That’s because fewer people are buying them to begin with.

Thats the short term...in the long term, lets say a couple years from now, ordering a Tesla will have the same lead time be it LR or Performance. If someone is looking strictly at the used market, there will just be less Performance models to choose from increasing resale value. Its similar to when I see M3s vs. mid trim BMWs...the M3s tend to have better resale value. Do I know this for sure, no, but I'm just correlating to past experience buying the higher end models vs. mid/low trim models.

It depends on area and time of year a lot. In warmer climates the Performance models are always usable even with their Summer tires. However, in cold climates during winter the summer tires can hurt resale value of the Performance models.

If you are selling to a dealer like CarMax, Carvana, or Vroom then the Performance model will typically command more money. However, the LR typically gets a higher percentage of MSRP than the Performance models.

Thats the short term...in the long term, lets say a couple years from now, ordering a Tesla will have the same lead time be it LR or Performance. If someone is looking strictly at the used market, there will just be less Performance models to choose from increasing resale value. Its similar to when I see M3s vs. mid trim BMWs...the M3s tend to have better resale value. Do I know this for sure, no, but I'm just correlating to past experience buying the higher end models vs. mid/low trim models.
You’re comparing apples to oranges.

The BMW M3 is an enthusiast performance vehicle made in relatively small quantities. There is a lot that separates it from a standard 3 series trim.

The Tesla Model 3 is a standard offering with a software unlock. It’s not a “higher-end” anything.

People that want “high-end” Tesla’s buy a Model S.

You’re comparing apples to oranges.

The BMW M3 is an enthusiast performance vehicle made in relatively small quantities. There is a lot that separates it from a standard 3 series trim.

The Tesla Model 3 is a standard offering with a software unlock. It’s not a “higher-end” anything.

People that want “high-end” Tesla’s buy a Model S.

Its not a software unlock. Thats the acceleration boost. The Performance gets different wheels, brakes, and track mode.

Track mode is a software unlock. The wheels and brakes can be purchased aftermarket.

You’re paying for the “Performance” software.

A BMW M3 is a totally different vehicle from a standard 3 Series.

And the price reflects the exclusivity. The Model 3 Performance isn't that much more expensive than the Model 3 LR and typically, the scarcer car does better on resale from my experience. You are free to disagree with me as I'm just pointing out my opinion from my past transactions in used cars.

Track mode is a software unlock. The wheels and brakes can be purchased aftermarket.

You’re paying for the “Performance” software.

A BMW M3 is a totally different vehicle from a standard 3 Series.
If you have to resort to aftermarket parts to make a long rang the same does that not illustrate that the Performance is more than just a software upgrade? The 20" wheels, brakes, performance tires are $$$ and it also gets the CF spoiler which isn't exactly cheap. Exclusivity usually always leads to higher resale value and there are far less performance models available in the used market.

And the price reflects the exclusivity. The Model 3 Performance isn't that much more expensive than the Model 3 LR and typically, the scarcer car does better on resale from my experience. You are free to disagree with me as I'm just pointing out my opinion from my past transactions in used cars.
It’s not that much more “exclusive” either. And that’s the point.

It looks just like a standard Model 3.

BMW M3 reflects the level of exclusivity by setting itself apart from the base models in performance and looks.