Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biden meeting with Musk and other CEOs notes "broad consensus" on charging interoperability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading those government requirements above, I wonder if Tesla will only open up the older V2 150 kW chargers to non-Tesla vehicles. Because if they add a CCS connector to those, they meet the government requirements. They can then keep the newer faster chargers for Tesla customers only. Probably wishful thinking on my part but balances opening up the “walled garden” to the masses and also keeping Tesla customers happy and with a competitive advantage.

After reading those government requirements above, I wonder if Tesla will only open up the older V2 150 kW chargers to non-Tesla vehicles. Because if they add a CCS connector to those, they meet the government requirements. They can then keep the newer faster chargers for Tesla customers only. Probably wishful thinking on my part but balances opening up the “walled garden” to the masses and also keeping Tesla customers happy and with a competitive advantage.
V2 Superchargers still do NOT meet the department of transportation guidelines.

Specifically:

Power sharing across power ports should be permitted so long as it does not reduce the maximum output per port below 150 kW.

Only V3 Superchargers meet that requirement.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
V2 Superchargers still do NOT meet the department of transportation guidelines.

Specifically:

Only V3 Superchargers meet that requirement.
Except they apparently don't in some cases: Supercharger - Aiea, HI (6 stalls)

One member upthread had reported that this location was "slow as hell" and that it was providing only 48 kW per car (although this member seemed to confuse kW and kWh).