Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Bear - where to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As it's ONLY about 35 miles from Redlands to Big Bear, what's the worry???
Actually Highland is closer to Big Bear Lake (assuming one is even going that way). But, that's at the bottom of the mountain. If I'm staying on the mountain multiple days (especially in the Winter), I don't want to be limited to slow Level II charging. Yes Level II works, but when I'm enjoying some time off, I don't want to be constrained by slower charging.

Lol us Californians are spoiled!!

Driving across the southern US when I bought mine, I'd have to go hundreds of miles between charges. There are SOOOOO many in California that we have to ask for them to start putting them in the mountains, lol.

Love it : )

Headed to Lake Arrowhead in May.
Haha, so true! To be fair it's also a reflection of where Teslas are concentrated. They're all over the U.S., but the center of gravity is definitely California. I've been at intersections where every car is a Tesla. Cracks me up. We definitely needs the Superchargers with soooo many Teslas!

Haha, so true! To be fair it's also a reflection of where Teslas are concentrated. They're all over the U.S., but the center of gravity is definitely California. I've been at intersections where every car is a Tesla. Cracks me up. We definitely needs the Superchargers with soooo many Teslas!

There are more superchargers within 150miles from me than the entirety of the southern US. I'd be happier if they focused their placement in that corridor rather than adding another one to the adjacent town.

More opportunities to charge drive sales, too ;)

That is literally the entire point of L2 charging.
🤣 Not really: You're making a big assumption that may apply just fine to you (and that's cool), but it doesn't apply to everyone else. I happily and frequently use Level 2 both at home and at work. Those are perfect use cases. When I travel, I don't want my lodging options to be limited to place(s) that offer Level 2 charging. You're assuming that the places I want to stay all have Level 2 charging. For me, that's plainly incorrect. That's where the Superchargers come in.

Mammoth Mountain is a comparable example. They've got Superchargers. So, I charge there and stay wherever I want without being limited to where I can charge my car overnight on Level 2.

Last edited:
Mammoth Mountain is a comparable example. They've got Superchargers. So, I charge there and stay wherever I want without being limited to where I can charge my car overnight on Level 2.
Totally agree, and at least during the warmer months, our choice of "lodging" is likely to be a campground with hiking and biking opportunities. We book campsites with electrical hookups when we can, but that's usually not an option at National Forest campgrounds, etc.

We constantly see so many Teslas headed toward Big Bear that any new Superchargers would experience considerable demand from Day One.

It's a real bummer and surprising too that Big Bear Lake still doesn't have any Superchargers after all this time. SMH

Consider that Mammoth Lakes just approved the permits for its second station. This'll add twelve 250 kW stalls! The first station that opened more than six years ago (!) has eight 150 kW stalls that my friends and I have used many times.

Great moves by Mammoth Lakes to support tourism and spending in town!

Reactions: beachmiles
I have an 80amp Tesla charger at my house in big bear lake. I do charge a fee to cover expenses but it is worth the peace of mind that you can just pull in and charge in my private driveway just for Tesla cars. There is also a nice restaurant 100 yards away to eat at
I would love to do that and don't mind paying and can do it whenever is easiest for you! I didn't even think about it and now worried. Please let me know - [email protected] - I was hoping to be here all week.

2x 100 kW CCS/Chademo units

Not quite live yet, but useful for those with CCS or Chademo adapters.

I can see this being quite busy in winter especially if you can't go out to the west to get to Lake Arrowhead.
Screenshot_20220624-015149_PlugShare.jpg

I can see this being quite busy in winter especially if you can't go out to the west to get to Lake Arrowhead.
With the Highland Supercharger, you don't really need to go to the Arrowhead supercharger if you are staying in Big Bear. If you charge up at Highland before going up, there should be plenty of charges left to come back down. Last time I did it, it doesn't take any % of energy going from Big Bear lake to the bottom of the hill at Highland charger.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
With the Highland Supercharger, you don't really need to go to the Arrowhead supercharger if you are staying in Big Bear. If you charge up at Highland before going up, there should be plenty of charges left to come back down. Last time I did it, it doesn't take any % of energy going from Big Bear lake to the bottom of the hill at Highland charger.
I agree.

However on the rare occasion that you can't get back down 330 due to road washout or accident, can't get out west on 18 due to ice/accidents, etc.

And are stuck with 18 east through Lucerne, or 38 over onyx summit, this station will definitely be useful for you.

I haven't gone up there in my model 3 yet, because I have an 06 Silverado Brodozer with snow tires on it.

I'd feel more comfortable going to mammoth than big bear, tesla charging wise. (as far as shut in, amenities)

Last edited:
My chosen route to get to big bear is almost always hwy 38 over onyx summit, it's the longest, the least crowded, and snowiest (onyx summit is 8400' iirc) ... Also has the best scenery on the way up, 138/18/330 don't hold a candle.

Onyx summit however is impassible after a major snow storm, unless they've just finished plowing it. (hence why I take my truck, tesla would get high centered way too easily)

The risk of whiteout blizzard conditions is worst over 38 as well.

Basically every dot on plug share is a non public Airbnb or hotels with chargers for guests only. Remax is the only one that is really open to the public that I can see. Holloway's was not very stoked about letting me charge and does not allow EVs to rent an RV spot and stay overnight to charge in case I wanted to camp in the back.
Am on a trip right now in Big Bear from SD with a '13 P85S (so don't have hundreds of extra miles of range) and the Remax charger took the sting out of the range anxiety. They're saints as there's actually a lot to do around there. ICE-ing indeed though - half the chargers were blocked by non-EVs. Literally no other viable option convenient on Plugshare as of Aug '22 that wasn't guests only / private - I drove by more than a few. The Union Bank charger in town pictured above indeed was CHAdeMO / CCS only (which isn't helpful for a lot of us). I did find this place (not on Plugshare) Bear Cabin - Sugarloaf a bit further out willing to charge a $7.00 reservation fee and $7.00/hr. for a charge. Had Remax not been an option that was my only backup short of driving back out to the nearest Supercharger ~25 mi away. Big Bear Lake needs more options no matter what the PlugShare map looks like ...

Last edited:
Awesome!!! Let's hope Tesla interprets the #1 requested supercharger site in the entire world correctly and puts some chargers in here. I added 2 more specific location requests in big bear for the next voting cycle at these locations. Maybe if more people add these spots manually this will increase the chance further of getting a charger installed here.
42170 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315

630 Knickerbocker Rd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315

Reactions: Oil Freedom